• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Stezza

Dances with Bees
That's all??? Or are you kidding me?

that's it .. I didn't save the scene so I can't check the details for render time ect.. but no more than 2 minutes for sure

I just did this one... took about 10 seconds to render

1640061203670.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Your characters, I assume, are low poly, which is why they don't take long to render. High poly characters, like Dawn and Dusk take longer.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think there are other things that affect render time way more significantly than poly count. For example, the number of lights, and the kinds of materials, like transparency, translucency, and SSS.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very true, especially the number and type of lights. I'm sure transparency, translucency and SSS will bog down a render time as well. I know a closeup with the Face Camera of a character with a lot of hair, takes longer than a full body render with the Main Camera, because then the hair is farther away from the camera being used, so the transparency isn't as large an issue as it is with the Face Camera.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Very true, especially the number and type of lights. I'm sure transparency, translucency and SSS will bog down a render time as well. I know a closeup with the Face Camera of a character with a lot of hair, takes longer than a full body render with the Main Camera, because then the hair is farther away from the camera being used, so the transparency isn't as large an issue as it is with the Face Camera.

In my render from last night (finally did one), I was going to make a portrait, but with the big hairstyle dominating the frame, even the almighty RTX 3090 with OptiX renderer has choked on it. Poly count doesn't matter as much as these other factors.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
a sample of what lighting I use in a basic scene in Carrara.. I didn't count them as there are too many :shineon: :cool:

can safely say there's more than 50 though :inverted:

1640130431229.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
a sample of what lighting I use in a basic scene in Carrara.. I didn't count them as there are too many :shineon: :cool:

can safely say there's more than 50 though :inverted:
I don't know about DS, as I haven't used it for years, but Poser only allows 6 lights, so needing more would probably mean compositing the scene in 2D software after all the renders are done.

There may be other ways to do it in Poser, but 50 lights is definitely a no-go.

Hornet3d

Wise
I don't know about DS, as I haven't used it for years, but Poser only allows 6 lights, so needing more would probably mean compositing the scene in 2D software after all the renders are done.

There may be other ways to do it in Poser, but 50 lights is definitely a no-go.

I didn't think there was a limit to the number of lights Poser will render but there is a limit to the number it will display in preview at any one time. Certainly if you select a light you you can sometimes unexpectedly see lights appearing to be switched off this is because Poser has to ignore one light in order to display the light you have selected.

Hornet3d

Wise
Sorry this intrigued me so I went looking for information. From the Poser manual - You can use as many lights as you need in your scene, with the only limitation being your system’s resources. Poser improves the OpenGL preview of lights in your scenes. It automatically selects the eight brightest lights to display in the real-time OpenGL preview. You can also manually select which eight lights to preview in the Light Properties palette.

Hornet3d

Wise
Ohhh, so it's 8 lights, and the limitation is in Preview mode. Good to know.

I think in the past it may have been a six light restriction on preview as that is what I understood and I think I am also right in saying it is something outside Poser that is the limiting factor. I did not know what limitation there was on lights as far as render was concerned but I do know I have a number of scenes I have purchased that has masses of lights which is what intrigued me.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
After listening to Hermione, Harry seeks out Anthony Goldstein who is a member of Parselmouth to ask him what their opera is based on.

Not wanting to be alone with Potter if he decides to throw a fit at hearing something he doesn't like, Anthony takes him off to a local coffee shop. Harry hears a great deal that he doesn't like.

10-Coffee-Shop.jpg

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
I think in the past it may have been a six light restriction on preview as that is what I understood and I think I am also right in saying it is something outside Poser that is the limiting factor. I did not know what limitation there was on lights as far as render was concerned but I do know I have a number of scenes I have purchased that has masses of lights which is what intrigued me.
It's the result of OpenGL. Poser will calculate all lights in a scene when rendering, but OpenGL itself has a hard coded limit of 8 when it comes to displaying them. The type of light does not matter.

Hornet3d

Wise
It's the result of OpenGL. Poser will calculate all lights in a scene when rendering, but OpenGL itself has a hard coded limit of 8 when it comes to displaying them. The type of light does not matter.

Thank you for the information, I must have read that somewhere at some point but then quickly forgot, rather then a memory I just had this idea that the limit was not a Poser issue.