• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Carey

Extraordinary
I think I started on this one at the end of December last year and just finally pulled it out to finish up postwork and such. It's one I've been meaning to do for a long time, a part of their story and a key scene that starts a chain of events that changes their lives forever.

A Safe Haven

Tarwen had arrived as planned at the ruins only to find an unusually violent Morcundu waiting for her. He chased her away with biting words and as she fled in tears, fearful for herself and her beloved, she heard a familiar, inviting voice call to her. She spun toward the voice and crashed into the protective arms of Sarovanya. Concerned, the young wood elf queried, "What happened? ...Did he hurt you?"
delicious!!!!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've heard of Blakes7 (don't know how except my friends are geeks and we may have talked out old sci-fi shows) but I don't think I've heard of Space 1999 but then I would have been 3-5 years old when it was running and unless they had it later in Aus wouldn't have seen it (tho I just read the are supposedly rebooting but so was Blakes7 meant to but hasn't yet.).

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I just wanted to pop in with some info about Space 1999. It was a larger part of my childhood likely because when it aired in the U.S. in 1975 it went strait to syndication. It wasn't aired on regular networks, but on Independent channels and superstitions. These were the sort of channels that ran your Cartoon Calvacades and Bozo the Clown shows during the week (and had those great Americanized anime like Starblazers and Robotech). One of the stations noted to air it was WPYX 11 out of New York, which we not only used to get in the part of Western Massachusetts I grew up in, but also was one of our families favorite channels (WSBK TV38 out of Boston was good too). It also ran other not as well known but amusing series such as the Planet of the Apes TV series, and many I can not remember the names too. For those who would like to reminiss over the show's opening or see if it looks at all familiar I offer this chance.

@Hornet3d Tom Baker will always be My Doctor... grew up on that show too. So many old sci-fi shows (Tomorrow People, Land of the Lost, The Third Eye, Outer Limits, Tales From the Dark Side, Ulysses 31, Otherworld, Salvage, Blakes 7, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Battlestar Galactica, V).

Hornet3d

Wise
I just wanted to pop in with some info about Space 1999. It was a larger part of my childhood likely because when it aired in the U.S. in 1975 it went strait to syndication. It wasn't aired on regular networks, but on Independent channels and superstitions. These were the sort of channels that ran your Cartoon Calvacades and Bozo the Clown shows during the week (and had those great Americanized anime like Starblazers and Robotech). One of the stations noted to air it was WPYX 11 out of New York, which we not only used to get in the part of Western Massachusetts I grew up in, but also was one of our families favorite channels (WSBK TV38 out of Boston was good too). It also ran other not as well known but amusing series such as the Planet of the Apes TV series, and many I can not remember the names too. For those who would like to reminiss over the show's opening or see if it looks at all familiar I offer this chance.

@Hornet3d Tom Baker will always be My Doctor... grew up on that show too. So many old sci-fi shows (Tomorrow People, Land of the Lost, The Third Eye, Outer Limits, Tales From the Dark Side, Ulysses 31, Otherworld, Salvage, Blakes 7, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Battlestar Galactica, V).

Now there is a series of titles that really sends the mind racing back to childhood. Yes Tom Baker played a great Doctor Who but I also liked Jon Pertwee who played the third doctor from 1970 to 1974. Jon was a strange choice from my point of view but then I had been a fan for years of the Navy Lark on BBC radio where he played Chief Petty Officer Pertwee so it was difficult seeing him in such a different role. I soon came to love his portrayal though and also the bright yellow classic car he ran around in, sounds a strange combination but, for me, it worked.

I have DVD boxed sets of the original Space 1999 and Blakes Seven along with further sets of some of the crime series like Gideon's way, The Baron, The Avengers, The Champions and Department S. The special effect are clunky compared with those of today and, in the outside shots I cannot believe how quiet the roads are but for all that I still enjoy them from time to time.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
"He would live forever—or at least as long as the Mirror lasted—and be young, powerful, and the possessor of the world greatest magical artifact. In that mirror world, he would be the greatest mage alive, a moment of triumph stretching into blissful infinity."

Tom Riddle's Happy Ending.
In 2011,
2011.jpg

And in 2020.
2020.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
Caoimhe found Turlough's silence more than a little annoying, after all the research she had done and effort she had put in she was looking for some sort acknowledgement or some reaction, hopefully a positive one. What she did not know was that Turlough had yet to really take in the whole of the scene as his attention was exclusively drawn to the vision of beauty that stood in front of him.

Christmas 2020 A HW.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't use much postwork, but I always add a copyright/sig and a tag as to what software used, etc. and that's also considered postwork.

Hey, it's great to get a wonderful promo from a final render, but there are times when you need to tweak. It happens to all of us.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Postwork to me it's mostly color correction, since Poser renders tend to have such poor contrast.

Hornet3d

Wise
Postwork to me it's mostly color correction, since Poser renders tend to have such poor contrast.

I thought that was just me and a bad grasp of Poser lighting. I sometimes use brushes to add some sparkle but that is rare but I almost always do colour correction. Occasionally no correction is needed if it is a HDRI scene.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I rarely use anything at the size it's rendered, so I'm usually going at things with the levels or curves, sometimes punching up vibrancy -- and then needing to correct skin tones -- resizing and sharpening. Plus rather a lot of things end up needing additional scenery outside windows or whatever. Postwork is your friend.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think postwork is essential. Glad to know it's not just me, but I respect the purists who try to fix everything in the render itself. That takes too long, so I fix it in postwork in a fraction of the time. George Lucas has a video showing the 1977 Star Wars movie before and after postwork, and I doubt the movie would have had the same impact without it.

robert952

Brilliant
Interesting to use lighting as a shock for the purists. (The use of perspective in the above image shocked the artwork in 1415.)

Looking at any of the 'art movements.' The goal of such movements was to look at the use of palettes, shape, style and methods differently. Over the history of those movements, artistic styles and even subject matter created shock at some level. Many times the shock aspect was the reason for the movement.

So, IMHO there is no such thing as a purist in the worlds of art.

To me, from the time I printed my first black and white image using a film camera, post work has always been a part of my 'artistic' process. I use the tools available to create the output I envision. That includes post work of many types.
(Of course, my visions may be a bit strange to the purists - whoever they are. :drawing:)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have worked as an art professor at a university in Chicago, and some of the bibliography claimed the use of colored lights should be avoided. Depending on who you ask about it, some may agree, some may not. There was also some controversy concerning the use of postwork in 3D renders. We can either fix color correction in minutes with postwork, or spend hours re-rendering until you get the same results. That's where I've got the "purist" term from. They claim postwork is "cheating" and is therefore heresy. You know them when you see a note accompanying the render that claims "straight from the renderer, no postwork", and there are very proud of it. I just think it's silly.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm too lazy to postwork most of the time (except for maybe a bit of brighten/contrast and sig added lol), but because of my Dinosaur err computer I can't do complex renders so sometime have to render in parts and put it together in postwork.