• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I've not had anything like the issues with DS4 that I had *all the time* with DS3. Like, for example, not being able to remember what was in a saved scene. And either not reopening it, or reopening it with half the components either missing or otherwise flakey. it's not like I'd moved anything either.

Although I do have to confess; I didn't leap to DS4 immediately. I was not quite finished with the original version of this trilogy that I've just spent since July re-doing when it was released. Plus I had another project that I'd had on the back-burner that I wanted to finally get done and posted as well, and I wasn't about to switch versions mid-project.

However, about a week after I finally uploaded the second project, I managed to inadvertently reformat that hard drive and lost all of my 3D content library and files. I had backups, and my purchase histories to redownload things, but It took me a couple of months to reinstall and reorganize everything, and I moved on to DS4 once I had that done.

I was amazed at how much less problematic DS4 was than I was used to. For one thing, it was 64-bit, and that was a major improvement right there. And, I found that I *really* liked Genesis. I was never able to get more than five gen4 figures into a scene and be able to render it at any point that I was using DS3, and more typically I had to delete one of them and just go with four in order to render. Sometimes I could only render with three.

With Genesis1 (and a 64-bit program), I've managed to get as many as 18 Genesis figures into a scene and render it. I had screen lag like nobody's business, but the program didn't crash. And the rendering went reasonably quickly regardless of how many figures I had in there.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I was also not a fan of Genesis and buying a whole 'nother set of morphs/clothing/etc.
EXACTLY why I stopped with Genesis. I hated having 3 or 4 versions of the same MFD. Remember that outfit? I had it for V3, V4, Gen1, Gen2. Enough already was all I could think of.

What I liked about DS 3 was I could use many Poser compatible products I purchased at DAZ back then with it, and the few (I could count on one hand) DS products I liked to use. Now if I see something I like, I can bet money there won't be a Poser compatible version. It's too bad that wonderful PAs like Stonemason stopped creating Poser versions of their wonderful products. I was a huge fan of his work, but can't buy any of it anymore.

Although I do have to confess; I didn't leap to DS4 immediately. I was not quite finished with the original version of this trilogy that I've just spent since July re-doing when it was released. Plus I had another project that I'd had on the back-burner that I wanted to finally get done and posted as well, and I wasn't about to switch versions mid-project.
I don't think I've ever had more than 2 characters in a scene at any given time, so I can't imagine what kind of issue that would be for someone like you, who always has a group of characters in all your scenes.

Shanarah

Admirable
I've not had anything like the issues with DS4 that I had *all the time* with DS3. Like, for example, not being able to remember what was in a saved scene. And either not reopening it, or reopening it with half the components either missing or otherwise flakey. it's not like I'd moved anything either.
That is the issue I'm having now with all the old .DAZ saved scenes from DS3. From what I know, it's an issue with the file format, not studio, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. The only fix I've found is to check the log file for the items it's not loading, find them in runtime and load them into a scene, save the scene as something else, then go back and open the .DAZ file and it will load the missing figures. I haven't gone back to many of my old scenes for this reason, it's just too much work.
EXACTLY why I stopped with Genesis. I hated having 3 or 4 versions of the same MFD. Remember that outfit? I had it for V3, V4, Gen1, Gen2. Enough already was all I could think of.

What I liked about DS 3 was I could use many Poser compatible products I purchased at DAZ back then with it, and the few (I could count on one hand) DS products I liked to use. Now if I see something I like, I can bet money there won't be a Poser compatible version. It's too bad that wonderful PAs like Stonemason stopped creating Poser versions of their wonderful products. I was a huge fan of his work, but can't buy any of it anymore.
Yes! I gave up on buying that thing over and over. I'm mostly relying on autofit for any of the old stuff now instead of rebuying. Also having to buy 50 morph packs just to get the variety that used to come in 2 or 3 packs just drives me insane!

It really is a bummer that the PAs aren't releasing Poser versions anymore. I know I don't use it, but there are so many people out there who are Poser users and who do amazing work. What about all the sales they are losing by releasing DS only? And TBH, I have a lot more in my "Poser" library than my "DAZ" library, and I still install the poser library versions because sometimes it's a heckuva lot easier to find than in the DAZ library.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes! I gave up on buying that thing over and over. I'm mostly relying on autofit for any of the old stuff now instead of rebuying.
I know. Back in the early days, Autofit didn't work as well as it does now. Another reason I gave up on DS.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I stuck with G1 pretty much exclusively until Ollie 8 was released. He was so perfectly appropriate as a starting point for a 'Toonified Snape that I started revamping most of my character library in a semi-'Toon style.

I don't think I've used more than 2 of my G2 characters ever. I picked up the official bases for G2 and G3, mainly because I wanted those damned proprietary UV Maps available. And I picked up a lot of the clothing, but I pretty well ignored the figures as far as actual use until I started rebuilding characters as semi-'Toons.

I do have one project with is kind of betwixt-and-between. Ollie is the main base used, but most of the rest of the characters are G3 using 3DU's Toon generations or some other Toon morphs dialed in to some degree. Once G8 started getting various 'Toon characters of its own, I rebuilt most of my character library in G8.

I like G8 a lot, but the more morphs you have installed, the longer it takes to load a character, or open a scene. And the fewer characters you can have in a scene before it bogs down and the program stops responding. I'm at the point where I can be pretty sure of reopening a scene with six or seven characters in it. Although that takes six forevers. but more than that and it tends to hang.

Riccardo

Adventurous
That is the issue I'm having now with all the old .DAZ saved scenes from DS3. From what I know, it's an issue with the file format, not studio, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. The only fix I've found is to check the log file for the items it's not loading, find them in runtime and load them into a scene, save the scene as something else, then go back and open the .DAZ file and it will load the missing figures. I haven't gone back to many of my old scenes for this reason, it's just too much work.
I had the same problem with my old scenes. But also from DS3 to the same DS3 after changing computer and rehacking all my runtimes. I think it goes like this: when DazStudio 3 saves a .daz format file, it also writes stuff about the models used in a directory called "data" inside its main path (along with Runtime, Readme's, etc.). When you create a new scene with the same models that were in the old scene, new stuff about those models gets written in folder "data" and then the old scenes containing those models correctly load again.
I was able to avoid the work of recreating all by copying the "data" folder from my old DS3 installation to the new one. Then all the .daz scenes loaded properly.

Shanarah

Admirable
I had the same problem with my old scenes. But also from DS3 to the same DS3 after changing computer and rehacking all my runtimes. I think it goes like this: when DazStudio 3 saves a .daz format file, it also writes stuff about the models used in a directory called "data" inside its main path (along with Runtime, Readme's, etc.). When you create a new scene with the same models that were in the old scene, new stuff about those models gets written in folder "data" and then the old scenes containing those models correctly load again.
I was able to avoid the work of recreating all by copying the "data" folder from my old DS3 installation to the new one. Then all the .daz scenes loaded properly.
That's an excellent fix! No one over at DAZ ever suggested that! It was always, don't put your runtime in program files (I didn't DS2 installer did and that's where it remained until I got a new PC)! I'll have to see if I still have the old data files on the old HDDs and copy them over. Thanks Riccardo! :)

Riccardo

Adventurous
Interesting, as DS3 Advanced was my favorite version of DS, and it ran fine on my old Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop. I'm sure I was using the 32-bit version on my even older WinXP Pro laptop.
Daz Studio 3 Advanced still is my favourite DS version. After that, I was not really fond of the new DS4...
Luckily, Carrara came to the rescue! :geek:
Anyway, DS3 had both 32 and 64 bit versions, but as @Dreamer I could not use it the 64-bit. I think it did not even install on my 64-bit Asus i5 desktop with Win 10. So I happily went on with the 32-bit version.

Riccardo

Adventurous
That's an excellent fix! No one over at DAZ ever suggested that! It was always, don't put your runtime in program files (I didn't DS2 installer did and that's where it remained until I got a new PC)! I'll have to see if I still have the old data files on the old HDDs and copy them over. Thanks Riccardo! :)
My pleasure, I hope this can work for you as well ;-)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
So that's what was going on. I never moved anything from its default installation before the great re-org and reinstall marathon after the inadvertent disk wipe. And back then, all DAZ stuff came in those stupid Bitrock installers which put things where they wanted them rather than where you could organize them yourself. I was too new at this to do it differently.

But DS3 couldn't keep proper track of my content even on the same computer, without any changes to either the OS or the program.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Daz Studio 3 Advanced still is my favourite DS version. After that, I was not really fond of the new DS4...
Luckily, Carrara came to the rescue! :geek:
Anyway, DS3 had both 32 and 64 bit versions, but as @Dreamer I could not use it the 64-bit. I think it did not even install on my 64-bit Asus i5 desktop with Win 10. So I happily went on with the 32-bit version.
Hmmm, I wonder if it was because I was running Win7 Pro at that time. It may have been a Win10 Pro issue. I haven't tried installing it on this Win10 Pro laptop, so not sure if I will. On the old Win7 Pro laptop, my DS3 Advanced held my largest Runtime, but since 95-98% percent of the content is Poser compatible, I doubt I'll bother re-installing it.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Eastern Spinebill

These tiny birds frequent our backyard feeding off the flowering plants.
rendered in Carrara

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
After dinner out at the Three Broomsticks with Professors Snape and Burbage, Harry returns to the castle to find a weeping Muffy who is overcome that someone actually gave her a *Christmas Present* (a bag of chocolates)! He tells her that he knows what that is like, for until this year he *never* got a real Christmas present.

Muffy is quick to inform him that; no, Little Master Harry Potter has *always* had presents. Lots of presents! For Christmas and his birthday! Muffy has seen them!

And takes them to a little room off the Owlery where a decade's worth of presents for Harry have been hidden away and stored.

In 2011.
2011.jpg

And in 2020.
2020.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Harry enjoys Christmas break and having the castle largely to himself -- and the Weasleys -- who he found to be not bad company. Not even Ron, now that Zack Smith was not around to pick fights.

And then there was the snow fort. That was glorious.

Another illo which has no 2011 counterpart.
2020.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Harry had a wonderful Christmas. The first "proper" Christmas that he can remember.
And on Boxing day, Professor Snape arranged that Draco, Hermione, and Neville should come for tea in the clubroom and an afternoon of board games.

The kids take it into their heads to visit Hagrid and discover that Hagrid has acquired a dragon's egg, that he is planning to hatch and keep for a pet.

This is another new illo with no 2011 version.
2020.jpg