• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Stezza

Dances with Bees
it's a wacky metal bird prop I modelled in Carrara
and it's over yonder if you would like it... :inverted:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Professors McGonagall and Snape take Professors Flitwick and Sprout into their confidence regarding their concerns over the security of the Philosopher's Stone. They wait until Albus is busy at the Ministry and then the four of them go into the labyrinth to evaluate the situation.

Their conclusion is that Albus's solution is indeed a very good trap, but with some refinements, it can be made much better. Fortunately, they know nothing about Albus's little experiment regarding his determination to see how Harry responds to the Mirror of Erisid. In any case, the Mirror is back in place by the time their research is complete and they return to perfect the trap.

In 2011,
2011.jpg

And in 2020.
2020.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
This is going to be a test as to whether I'll be able to upload any images to this post. As of last week, Safari no longer let me upload files over in the DAZ forums. As of today *none* of the browsers I have access to will allow me to upload over there.

I didn't have a problem here, however, so let's see if this is still the case.

It's the Christmas break, and most of the students have all gone home for the holiday. The Weasleys, however have not. Their parents are abroad, so Percy, the twins and Ron are at Hogwarts. As much as Harry likes his hidden room at the Dursleys, he didn't particularly want to go "home" either.

I've posted the 2011 version of this illo in various forums more than once, since it's the appalling image that took something like 3 weeks to render the five Christmas trees. (The rest of the room took maybe a couple of hours.) I was still working in DS3 at that point.

I am delighted to never have to do that again. The 2020 redo took at most overnight. And I think not even that.

Christmas Break, Breakfast with Weasleys. In 2011 and 220.
2011.jpg

The remake:
2020.jpg

Shanarah

Admirable
This is going to be a test as to whether I'll be able to upload any images to this post. As of last week, Safari no longer let me upload files over in the DAZ forums. As of today *none* of the browsers I have access to will allow me to upload over there.

I didn't have a problem here, however, so let's see if this is still the case.

It's the Christmas break, and most of the students have all gone home for the holiday. The Weasleys, however have not. Their parents are abroad, so Percy, the twins and Ron are at Hogwarts. As much as Harry likes his hidden room at the Dursleys, he didn't particularly want to go "home" either.

I've posted the 2011 version of this illo in various forums more than once, since it's the appalling image that took something like 3 weeks to render the five Christmas trees. (The rest of the room took maybe a couple of hours.) I was still working in DS3 at that point.

I am delighted to never have to do that again. The 2020 redo took at most overnight. And I think not even that.

Christmas Break, Breakfast with Weasleys. In 2011 and 220.
View attachment 66009

The remake:
View attachment 66010
Holy cow, 3 weeks for the original! Wow! I don't know if I'd have the patience for that! I've had a hard time waiting 3 days pre-Iray. XD It looks nice though and the new one is even better!

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
DS3 was 32-bit on Macs, so it never properly accessed the RAM that was available. Plus, nine years ago, the computer was slower too. I don't think that anything is going to ever be that bad again. I couldn't render the whole scene. So I did it in pieces, and rendered each tree separately. The one in the middle with the red baubles took something like 10.5 24-hour days alone.

I do still occasionally hit a render that turns into a 100-hour marathon (like the one with the peacocks), but I can't believe anything is ever going to be as bad as those awful Christmas trees.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think D3 was 32-bit on Windows as well. My WinXP laptop was only a dual core, and my Win7Pro was a bit better with quad core, but this 1 yr. old Win10Pro is hex core and instead of 8gbs of Ram, it has 16gbs, so muuuch faster.

I'm not sure how Macs are, but with Windows, any time there's a lot of metalic/reflective items in a render, it's going to take a lot longer, so those red baubles were what slowed that one down. The end result is often worth the wait, but I don't think I could wait that long for renders, even multiples renders I composite in Photoshop. Having 2 computers, one for rendering, and one for getting work done, is a better deal, but I haven't had a desktop in a long time, and even when I did, I had different software on each of them . . . Poser on one and DS on the other.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I'm pretty sure that it was the transmaps which caused the bottleneck. But there was a lot of invisible data in the scene as well. I'm not sure that the invisible elements weren't making some problems too.

The trees were from a set of winter evergreens from the old RDNA Deep Freeze collection, but those, of course weren't decorated. The decorations were from the old Redhouse toy shop's Christmas tree, made invisible except for the root sack and the baubles. I'd tried to include the tinsel as well, but that made things so much worse that I finally gave up and made it invisible too.

I remember that DS3 had a 64-bit version for Windows as well as a 32-bit one. Mac users didn't get a 64-bit option until DS4. But I'm sure there was a point that Windows also had been limited to 32-bit.

In the remake all of the Christmas trees are one from Flink. I added an extra set of baubles to each of them.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmm, now that you mention it, I'm wondering if the version of DS3 Advanced I had on my Win7 laptop was 64-bit. I'm sure it was a 32-bit version I had installed on my WinXP laptop.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I has DS3 Advanced it was 64 bit and would not run on my 64 bit computer. Kept crashing the whole thing, that was when I switched to using Poser and now I am back using DS4 lol

Shanarah

Admirable
DS3 was 32-bit on Macs, so it never properly accessed the RAM that was available. Plus, nine years ago, the computer was slower too. I don't think that anything is going to ever be that bad again. I couldn't render the whole scene. So I did it in pieces, and rendered each tree separately. The one in the middle with the red baubles took something like 10.5 24-hour days alone.

I do still occasionally hit a render that turns into a 100-hour marathon (like the one with the peacocks), but I can't believe anything is ever going to be as bad as those awful Christmas trees.
The peacocks turned out beautifully though, so I'd say worth the wait. :)

I still have DS3 64bit installed on this PC. Haven't used it in ages other than testing opening files I'm having issues with in DS4 (like old .DAZ files). Anyway, never ran it on MAC, but I remember rendering layers like this for anything with lots of trans maps too. I still have a few sitting on my HDD waiting for me to compile them. Maybe I should just try to convert to IRAY and re-render them.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I has DS3 Advanced it was 64 bit and would not run on my 64 bit computer. Kept crashing the whole thing, that was when I switched to using Poser and now I am back using DS4 lol
Interesting, as DS3 Advanced was my favorite version of DS, and it ran fine on my old Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop. I'm sure I was using the 32-bit version on my even older WinXP Pro laptop.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I had continual problems with DS3 Advanced. Never was so glad to be able to abandon a program for its replacement.

The only thing in its favor was that I found Poser to be worse.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Really? Then again Poser has come a long way since then. I had given up on Poser 5 when I started playing with DS 2, and didn't get back to using it until Poser 9. By then I liked it a lot more. The old interface was horrible, but when they made it easier to get around in the Library, then I started liking it again.

I only gave up upgrading DS 4.0 Pro because I had gotten tired of Genesis when G3 came out, and I haven't missed it since. Maybe one of these days I'll reinstall 4.0 so I can use the G1 and G2 things I purchased back then. Don't know, because if I'm going to use older content, I'd prefer V4, M4, et al., and I can use them in Poser.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I think Poser was at something like version 7 going into 8 around when I finally tried working in it (It had been sitting unused on my hard drive since version 1). The interface was still somewhat haunted by the ghost of Kai Krauss. I admired Krauss's style, but it still came across as an interface designed by Martians for Martians. Not exactly usable for Earthlings.

Plus, Studio had the advantage of the DAZ forums, which I found *very* helpful.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think that's why I skipped version 7. Not sure if it changed to more like the current version with 8 or 9, but I was so happy it did.

IIRC, he also designed the interface for Bryce, which has never really be changed much, but then it's been pretty much dead for years, though that's how I got started in 3D, and still like it once in a while.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah, quite a few really impressive apps were launched under the MetaCreations banner. And they nearly all had beautiful, but mystifying interfaces from Krauss.

To some extent, that is. A few that they acquired already had their own personalities, and didn't get dragged quite so thoroughly into the fold. Painter, for example, which already was being sold in an actual paint can. I don't think it finally got stuffed into a box until after MetaCreations imploded and all the components either found new homes or disappeared.

Shanarah

Admirable
Wow, that's really interesting. I actually hung on to DS3 Advanced long into DS4s release. I had nothing but problems with DS4 from the start on my first Windows 7 PC, it crashed constantly and had a lot of issues opening files. I was also not a fan of Genesis and buying a whole 'nother set of morphs/clothing/etc. I don't think I started actually using DS4 until after 4.5 and then only infrequently until about 3 years ago. I bought Poser 6 at some point when it was on a super discount (was $10 maybe?) and played with it a little, but the interface and workflow were so unintuitive at the time, I guess it just turned me off. Maybe someday I'll catch it on a sale and try it out again.