• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I have been rather disappointed with some of Merlins stuff, to the point that if I had still been within the 30 days I would have returned it. A pity as the promos look so good and his stuff is different but now I am not so sure I want to bother :(

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
None of the 10 or so items I have are new. Most of them I bought years ago when I was still using DS, though I always used the Poser version of files. Several of the items I have are weapons, mainly Katanas, etc., though I do have his Tea Garden. Haven't played with that in a while.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Autumn trees and wild boards are what have left me less than thrilled, his architectural and prop sets maybe a different story but I am not sure I want to risk what little I have to spend on 3D on finding out :(

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Rendered in Carrara

on a recent visit to Mars......................

Prickly Pair.png

Hornet3d

Wise
Yup. Merlin is one of the vendors who still does both.

Yep, I can confirm that it is the courtyard you mentioned and it does have both a Poser and DS version. It is new and so I purchased it with 30% off which seems to be the custom with new products.
Also picked up some of Stonemasons old Poser stuff as it was 60% off at the time. Must make mental note not to visit Daz when I am having a bad day and they are having a sale. I only use Poser so all my purchases are usable in Poser, not only that I also make sure there are Poser files before I purchase as I want it to work out of the box without intervention of DSON.

I am pleased with all the Merlin content I have, most of it is from his selections of medieval products but I also have some of the Japanese, modern day and musical instruments. All of these have worked without issue and seem to be of high quality and my runtime is fast approaching 50+ products so it seems consistent. I can't say the same for some of the other vendors content like walls where the mortar becomes invisible in Poser leaving bricks in mid air and other materials that do not render correctly in Superfly (which I accept if they are old) and some that will not render in Firefly either. I have not returned any of it as, given time, I think I can make them work. No such issues with Stonemason Poser stuff despite the age. Petipet, Jack Tomalin and Merlin are really the only reason I visit Daz these days, I do pick up other stuff but for many vendors they no longer provide for Poser so each purchase drains the pool of Poser stuff I am interested in still further. Happily those that still write for Poser seems to be some of the cream as their products are first class.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Merlin's been doing a lot of stuff for PC+ lately. Mainly interiors, and a lot of it vaguely medieval. Or props, but the occasional exterior scene. Several of the club's weekly freebies (which are free with purchase for non-members), or the monthly ones.

I've been doing covers for my Apa again. We have an anniversary coming up, and I couldn't resist Jepe's sets of Art Deco statuary/lamps. Which are all Iray.

I'm on a Mac, so Iray is problematic. It does work. It seems to be tied into a default time period (2 hours) and the noise never completely clears. I tried to give a render more time in the settings, but what I got was still noisy. I really detest progressive rendering. I would *much* rather see my render work its way down the page in strips, each strip properly sharp and "finished", but there appears to be no way to do that with Iray. Or any way to get a sharp render, either. Or not without putting in a lot more time than I'm willing to.

And, of course it ties up the processor. I can go online and read fanfiction or check email or the forums, but trying to do anything productive is an exercise in frustration.

But I figured that I'd give it a try. This isn't a straight render. I rendered it about five times -- or rather, I *started* rendering it about five times. I think I let it finish twice. First with the default lighting that Jepe provides. Then I added some point lights and swapped out the default environment for one of Fabiana's Theory of Light HDRIs and tinkered about a few more times. Then I took it into Photoshop and built a composite.

The central model is from Jepe's Art Deco Statuettes for Victoria 8 II (Like I say, I couldn't resist them, I have all three sets -- which include a fabulous collection of stone, glass, and metal Iray shaders, which are well worth the price). The "table" is a primitive with one of the shaders in the pack applied. Then Victorias are wearing Val's Salome top and jewelry which he redid for G8, and Arki's skirt from the old Lilian bikini for V4 which Wear Them All dis a nice enough job of auto fitting. Both have some of Jepe's associated shaders applied. The wigs are a part of the statuette set.

The backdrop is another primitive with a tile shader from someone else. The candle is from Porsimo's lighting collection with the candle holder turned off. I think another flame is added to it from Sveva's Bohemian candle set. The numbers are from SickleFuse, again, with Jepe's shaders applied. Can't remember whose point lights they were.

Anniversary.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
For a brief moment she thought she saw a blip on the screen suggesting there was some heat source in the corridor ahead of her but then nothing. She wondered if she had imagined it or if it was a system glitch either way she decided to proceed with caution. In all other respects the whole of the ship looked to have been abandoned some time ago.

Arc Corridor HW.jpg

Stezza

Dances with Bees
thanks.. yep the Carrara soft body physics works ok for that kinda thing..

The cricket world cup starts at the end of the month ;)