• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
And one more from Superfly/V4 portraits/drafts. Lavinia by Pixeluna and Shadownet.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I have Lavinia, but have only rendered her with her "tech" look. Nicely done using SuperFly. One of these days I'm going to learn how to use it properly.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, okay, I'm going to be spamming the thread for a while. So in view of the fact that some of you did not frequent the dear departed Faeriewylde forums, I think I'd better give you some background.

As a lot of you already know, my hobby is book design, and I have a website where I post .pdfs of my finished projects. That's at redhen-publications. It's a dot com. These are pretty much all based on fanfic and nearly all of the originals are still posted online in the usual fanfic archives. I don't write them, I just design and typeset the Red Hen editions. And, no publication gets posted on Red Hen until it has the original author's approval.

I just finished a project and sent it off to the author for checking. If she send me corrections I'll roll them in, which may mean that the pagination may change, and I may end up having to either add or subtract a chapter tail illustration or two, or even add another full page one to keep other things even. I design these to be read in spreads, so they need to have an even number of pages. In any case, it isn't quite finished, but the long haul is over.

That was a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't heard back yet. She's probably swamped, so I'll give it a month before contacting her to find out what's up. But in any case: the project won't be posted until I have her say-so. But the illustrations are mine, and you don't need to have read the story to look at them. I wouldn't mind getting some peer review on them if you feel like it.

The story is actually three stories by an author who goes by the pen name of paganaidd, and they are posted on ff.net. They are closely connected, so they are being issued in one volume on Red Hen. The story is Harry Potter fanfic (most of the projects on Red Hen are, but not all of them. There are also a couple of Oz books and a fantasy series based on Bioware's Dragon Age), and it opens some 21 years after the final battle in Deathly Hallows and a couple of years after the epilogue.

It's reasonably extensive. I'll be posting 30-some graphics overall. A couple of them are large chapter tail illos, three are section openers at the beginning of each separate volume, and there is an end piece from the middle volume. Most of these are portraits. The other graphics are illos from the actual story.

I should mention that the work is going to be entitled 'Memories and Dreams' and a great many of the scenes illustrated are indeed from either dream sequences or memories. Which should explain the frequent appearance of Professor Snape.

So: to the project. The opener of book 1 ('Dudley's Memories'), and, if I can get it into the same post, the Frontispiece.
Book-1-.jpg

Book-1-Frontspiece.jpg

Zaarin

Brilliant
I Fear No Evil
"Sometimes life seems so complicated, nothing is truly good or truly evil. Everything seems to be a shade of grey. And then you spend some time with a man like Dukat, and you realize that there is such a thing as truly evil."
"To realize that is one thing. To do something about it is another. So what are you going to do?"
"I'll tell you what I'm not going to do, I'm not going to let him destroy Bajor. I fear no evil. From now on, it's him or me."

I Fear No Evil_postwork.jpg

Rendered in Superfly, very minor postwork. Morph by Werts with a few touchups by me. Skin is Lonely Kind Man by Odnajdy, eyes are from Reby Sky Elite.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Jodel, very nice renders. I especially like the first one...

Zaarin, I love that! Good ol' Ben Sisko. The morph is very close indeed! I remember loving the first three seasons of DS9... :D

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Thank you! I'm slowly beginning to get a handle on lighting. No Iray yet, though. For this project I used Flipmode's Easy environments lights as work lights, and then when it came time to render usually turned those off and used lights from Khory's Caressed By Light set #1. Adjusted intensities sometimes, and for exteriors I usually left the Flipmode sun light on, but turned the intensity down enough so I got a shadow but didn't blow the highlights out too badly.

For interiors there tend to be a number of linear point lights in any scene. Always in the fireplace, and usually in any lamp or wall sconce.

eclark1894

Visionary

Zaarin, I love that! Good ol' Ben Sisko. The morph is very close indeed! I remember loving the first three seasons of DS9... :D
I don't mean this to BE critical, but it's probably going to sound that way. I disagree about the likeness only. It looks more like Cuba Gooding, Jr. to me. Still a good render and it does, of course, invoke the memory of DS9. I think it's the eyes.

Zaarin

Brilliant
I don't mean this to BE critical, but it's probably going to sound that way. I disagree about the likeness only. It looks more like Cuba Gooding, Jr. to me. Still a good render and it does, of course, invoke the memory of DS9. I think it's the eyes.
I agree with you. The eyes and lips aren't quite right (Avery Brooks has very unique eyes--the shape of them, I mean), Avery Brooks' brow is a little stronger, and the nose is a little too big even after using morphs to make it smaller. I get the feeling that Werts wasn't too familiar with the show and made the morph on request (though he did do several from DS9...) based on pictures; I myself am not good with making morphs based on real people, but I did my best to touch up Werts' morph to bring it closer to a likeness.

My favorites were seasons 5 and 6, but there were some great episodes in seasons 2 and 3. Season 2's "Second Skin" is one of my very top favorites. :D

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist

You know, now that I think about it... you're definitely right. (And no offense taken - no worries.)

I think it was the eyes, and the shape of the face on the outside that reminded me of Sisko. Probably mostly the eyes. They have that intense look that he always had. :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I miss being able to use the WERTS morphs. I downloaded most of them, but while I was able to bring a couple of them over when I was using DS3, I don't think I've managed it at all in DS4. It claims to work, but the dial didn't dial in the morph.

Last edited:

Zaarin

Brilliant
You know, now that I think about it... you're definitely right. (And no offense taken - no worries.)

I think it was the eyes, and the shape of the face on the outside that reminded me of Sisko. Probably mostly the eyes. They have that intense look that he always had. :)
Intense is definitely a good word to describe Sisko. His "It's easy to be a saint in paradise" speech from "The Maquis Part I" is my favorite monologue in all of Star Trek. :D

I miss being able to use the WERTS morphs. I downloaded most of them, but while I was able to bring a couple of them over when I was using DS3, I don't think I've managed it at all in DS4. It claims toward, but the dial didn't dial in the morph.
Yeah, Werts did good work. It's a shame he had to stop. His Patrick Stewart and Christopher Lee morphs are spot on.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmmm, yes, maybe a cross between Avery Brooks and Cuba Gooding, Jr. Not only the eye intensity, but the expression around his mouth remind me more of Avery Brooks.

Seebee

Wonderful renders here at HiveWire !
From my wanderings around the old WWW, I'd have to say in my humble opinion that this site is way up there in talent.
I was getting rather bored with Poser actually (!!), that was until I saw what was going on here. Now I'm back to "normal."
Congrats. to all concerned with producing such a professional site.

I'm still getting about here and trying to figure out which Thread to post in.
But eventually I'll get it !! Ican use my age as an excuse.
I guess I'm allowed to create a Folder/Gallery of Pics somewhere?

In the meantime here is a Poser render of my guy: Henry Porter :)

LilWiz.jpg

Seebee

Thanks, JOdel.
No. The robe I made in Max. It's a dynamic cloth one. Came out better than I thought actually !
Again, it is a very simple and basic mesh. Probably make most dyn. cloth experts cringe like mad if they saw it .
But it works well.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Intense is definitely a good word to describe Sisko. His "It's easy to be a saint in paradise" speech from "The Maquis Part I" is my favorite monologue in all of Star Trek. :D

Oh, gosh, yes. That was my favorite as well! I loved his character - he did such a good job with the role!

--------------

This is just a quickie/fun little render. I had started it before my HD gave out, and just haven't had a chance to finish the image up. So, tonight, I finished it up as a reward to myself for having finished making the updates to the 2D project that needed updating. LOL

Stefanie is a Genesis 1; V3 pants, my Genesis sweater, Aery Soul's hair. Alessandro's racoon, wolf, and bear cub... plant elements from multiple different vendors.

-------------

"Can we keep her?"

Stef-Bear.jpg