• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Flipmode's stuff is great. And a lot of his light sets from those Easy Environments make great worklights for setting things up even if they aren't what you end up using in the final render.

Hornet3d

Wise
By the third morning Caoimhe was feeling deflated, every scar in the landscape she had seen from space turned out to be a waste of time. She was now covering the last sector, after this she knew she had to lift off and look elsewhere. Just as she decided all was lost something appeared in the distance that looked out of place. Drawing closer she saw the familiar outline of a colony ship and she realised how lucky she had been. There was no scars in the landscape as the ship seemed to have made a pancake landing. Landing gear was not down and the engines seemed to have been twisted at an angle well outside the design specs.

She approached with caution filled with a mixture of emotions, relief at having found the craft, fear at what she might find and a element of doubt as to how she was going to cope with whatever she was about to be presented with.

The Final Run HW.jpg

This time around the skydome is still from flipmode (ExoPlanet I) but the planet is from Terradome 2. The suit is of course CKV-01 for Dawn from Ken1171 Designs - Volpe Box. Finally the ship is ColonyLander by shawnaloroc.

Hornet3d

Wise
Hope rose as Caoimhe flew nearer the craft, despite the obvious damage, thanks to a compromised, landing the core of the craft was intact. Her hopes were dashed however when she found no trace of anyone around or within the craft and no clue what had happened to them. She sat for a moment and tried to look at the situation logically. The crash site implied there had been at least limited control over the craft when it crashed therefore, someone was aboard. It made sense that the person may well be the pilot and that would be Turlough.

Based upon those assumptions someone was at least aboard and clearly had left but Why? Evidence of burning inside the cockpit suggested a fire and with it the possibility of an explosion, a very good reason to leave. The question was then, why not return when it was clear the danger of explosion was passed, they either did not hang around to find out or could not return. One thing was for certain, outside they would need protection from the sun.

She began to cover the area in a series of expanding circles paying attention to any crevice that would offer shade. Approaching a small group of rocks she noticed something metallic glinting in the sun, closer inspection showed it was a discarded medi kit, so she removed her visor and jet pack and squeezed between the rocks.

Wounded HW.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, I've now got the illustrations for the fanfic series up to date. The author will be off on a consultant job for some months so the series itself isn't likely to advance much until she gets back. We've got "books" 1 & 2 complete, and book 1 is now posted. Book 2 needs its final checking, so it's stalled for now.
Book 3 is in progress, probably something like 2/3 complete.

But I figured tha since I've got something like 30 or so illustrations to show off. I'd post a few of them.

Okay, the first adventure of Snape and Fawkes and Knight Boat #6 ended with the crew and their passengers managing to rescue Fawkes, Overcome the escaped Death Eaters, and make their escape from the illegal traders' hideout, after having sent up the Dark mark to bring the Aurors.

Unfortunately, for Snape's peace of mind, the ship's next assignment was to return to the hideout and pick up a number of smuggled animals, and return them to their native habitats. He disguised himself, but still found himself face-to-face with trainee Aurors Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.

Their first duty was to take the animals and deliver them to where they belonged. However, not long after that Kat received a call for help from his sister Angie, at Bayou Academy. There is a monster roaming in the swamps, which has attacked two of the teachers, and spooked her partner into running away.

First, they drop off the passengers in Melbourne, and the orangoutangs in Borneo.
1-Opening.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d Looks like she found what she was looking for. Now the cliffhanger question: is he ALIVE?

Yes, maybe, at least for now, sort of...

Getting Turlough on board had been a struggle but somehow she had coped. She cursed the lack of a bed of any sorts or any advance medical equipment but when she had decided to spend a week or so at the villa the shuttle had been all she needed.

Caoimhe did what she could with the resources available, she settled him into a navigator's chair and kicked it back as far as it would go, tended his wounds as best as possible with the meagre first aid kit and covered him with the only blanket on board and that was only there by accident rather than design. All the time she tended him she pondered the next step, did she try to find the colony in the hope they were alive and had some basic medical equipment or did she press on for home. The more she tended him the more she realised he was only just clinging to life, the return journey home began to take favour in her mind. Perhaps now was the time to see if the FTL drive was worth all the massive expense and trouble.

Homeward Bound HW.jpg

What next depends on where the next render takes me, they never seem to arrive at the point I had in mind when I started.

Hornet3d

Wise
FTL flight always reminded her of a bad movie she had once been forced to sit through, it had a great opening scene and a fantastic ending but unfortunately the bit in-between had been an endless bore. It would have been and ideal time to sleep but she knew sleep would be an impossible goal so Caoimhe spent her time fussing over Turlough as if she could keep him alive by sheer will power alone. Now as the craft was about to drop out of FLT mode she moved into the pilot's seat once more. Despite the many safety features built in there were occasions when FLT could throw a curve ball by dropping you into a meteor storm or the like. When she had worked on the FLT drive with Turlough some months earlier ,she had expected him to be surprised they risked it but he was unconcerned. He mention that on his planet and in his time people would drive cars without any sort of collision avoidance systems and they always risked a crash whenever they took to the road. She wondered if this was a fair analogy as she imagined such practices would only result in carnage.

There was few moments to go for the FTL disengaged and, as she sat there, her mind wondered, she realised that it was only medication, adrenaline and naked fear was keeping her awake. She wished she had Turlough's talent for always seeing a golden side but in her depressed state, optimism was not something she could muster. All she felt was regret and fear, regret she had not said the things she had desperately wanted to say to him, but never found the right time, and fear she would never get the chance. If only she had, just once, let her heart lead instead of her head things might have been very different.

If Only HW.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There is a place for 3DL and FF. With PBR rendering you can't fake anything, which limits artistic effects on an image. Therefore it's important to have both FF/SF or 3DL/I-ray available depending on what you want to do. By having both biased and PBR solutions, you have the full range of capabilities from both sides of the fence. On one hand, PBR makes it easier to create believable caustics, glass and metals. On the other hand, FF/3DL make it easy to create toon and cell shaded effects. Personally, I think it's silly to think that either SMS or DAZ would eventually remove the biased renderer, assuming people wouldn't miss them. For once, there is plenty of people using Poser/DS to create comics, and they don't need PBR for that.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I agree with you Ken, even though I have seen some pretty realistic 3DL renders I think it rocks for comics.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
My own beef is that Iray was developed by a company to sell its own line of graphics cards. But not ALL computer manufacturers even support those cards. Or, rather, the specific line of cards really needed for Iray. So right from the get-go, you've locked put about a tenth of the market.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, their first night hunting swamp monsters ended up with Snape picking up a rather nasty magical parasite. That dealt with, a trip into New Orleans for some repellent occupied the following afternoon. Snape decided to accompany Kat on the trip to see how potions ingredients in New Orleans stacked up against what he was familiar with.
3-Swamp-Flight.jpg