• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Volume is for the BDSFAbsorptionVolume and BDSFScatterVolume nodes; you'd use it (with the main surface either transparent or refractive) to effect how light is scattered or absorbed inside the object. It makes glass/refractive objects/liquids more realistic, and can also be used for clouds and the like.
Thank you! I don't do a lot of glass or refractive objects other than window glass on cars and such. But at least I know I have options if I do make something (like a Lamborghini inspired Batmobile).
Lamborghini-Egoista-LF-3-4-HERO.jpg

I think the Egoista would be a perfect Batmobile...

seachnasaigh

Energetic
@Rokket : Search the SmithMicro Poser forum for discussions on the CyclesSurface root. You can also make some use of Blender/Cycles tuts because Superfly is essentially the Cycles render engine with additions made to enable use of Firefly nodes. Superfly materials can be made using a mixture of Firefly nodes and Cycles nodes.

The third P11 root node available is the PhysicalSurface root; it is good for relatively simple material setups. SM made a video tut on using it.

Volume: Use it to show the effect of depth within/through an object. Examples:
  • tinted glass - with caustics engaged in the render options, you can cast colored light onto the floor from a stained glass window.
  • fog - the opacity will increase where distance through the fog object is greater. SM forum fog demo
  • water, where you want to see opacity increase as depth increases - I used this in the waterfall gazebo's water channels, because simple transparency doesn't convey depth
  • Stargate "Ka-Whoosh!"
Be aware that using volume will incur a noticeable cost in render time. For stained glass, note that engaging caustics will also cost you render time.

Transmission: Refraction and translucence would be transmissive effects; I don't know what all else might be affected by transmission samples/bounces.

Lothlorien progress: This is the "final candidate" material for the waterfall:

An elvish doctor arrives at the house of healing...

closeup of the carriage (which lacks tack for Harry):

I may rework the house of healing; I found it irritating to place the carriage and dolls on the sloping ground, so I'm thinking of making a cobblestone circular drive.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Thanks for the response! I have a couple of Blender tutorials on my hard drive that discuss setting up cycles materials. I'll check those out.

Your work is amazing as always. I love that house of healing! It looks amazing in that lighting.

Hornet3d

Wise
Awesome! I was curious to know what it sounds like so I searched on youtube :) Very celtic sounding

Thank you for the link. I like celtic sounding music so I have heard the sound before, I have also heard Hurdy Gurdy but this is the first time I have connected the instrument and the sound.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Metals aren't hard for Superfly. Examine your render settings; you may be paying an unnecessary price for render features which aren't contributing anything.
Try this:

Progressive Refinement will quickly fill the window with a rough render; this allows to spot any grievous material/lighting errors. as samples accumulate, the render clarifies. So tick that box.

Don't pay the render time price of volumetrics if you're not using volumetric materials (notice I have volume samples and volume bounces set to zero). Same for subsurface scattering. But volumetrics in particular incurs a heavy render time burden.

Bucket size: This needs to be a common denominator of the horizontal and vertical render dimensions, else you end up with partial buckets at the right and bottom edges, but those partials take as long as full buckets!:mad: For example, if rendering at 1200x750 pixels, I might set bucket size to be 15, 25, or 30. Those bucket sizes divide evenly into both 1200 and 750.
For a 1024x1024 render, I'd use 16, 32, or 64 for the bucket size.

The overall pixel samples (top box, left column) is overall quality; it's OK to set that higher than needed (45?) because you can simply cancel the render once it's good enough, and export the image.:D

I saved your superfly settings for when I do Superfly renders. It's saved as a preset called Seachnasaigh Special. However, I use Poser to make a comic. The render times can be like waiting for the grass to grow. A request please, seachnasaigh. How about sharing your Firefly settings for Best Quality and good (Best) Render times?

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I saved your superfly settings for when I do Superfly renders. It's saved as a preset called Seachnasaigh Special. However, I use Poser to make a comic. The render times can be like waiting for the grass to grow. A request please, seachnasaigh. How about sharing your Firefly settings for Best Quality and good (Best) Render times?

That setting should be called "quick 'n' dirty non-volumetric".:laugh: It will give a decent render in a reasonable time. When in doubt, set the overall pixel samples higher; you can always cancel the render once it clears up, and export the image. But if you set the pixel samples too low, the render will finish and still be grainy, and you cannot resume rendering from where you left off (I've filed a request for such a feature).

There is no one best render setting; that's why everything is adjustable. You need to consider what effects you are heavily using, and adjust the render settings to cover that usage, without having the render engine do unnecessary time consuming tasks. And that will be affected by what material nodes you are using and how much you are relying on them.

For example, the default superfly render settings have mesh light samples set at 7. If you are using one of my mesh-lit models in a night scene, then you should have mesh light samples set at maybe 15. In a daylight scene, the same model will do fine with 7 mesh light samples.

I suggested to rokket to set volume samples and volume bounces to zero for his MOS suit to save render time; but if you are doing a render with volumetric ground fog, then you need to give volumetrics a few samples per light ray and a few bounces per light ray, or you won't see the cool volumetric fog effect. For rokket's MOS suit, volumetrics would be a waste of a lot of render time, but if your render has a volumetriv material, then the render time cost is worthwhile.
You must learn to set the render engine to do everything you need it to do for your render without wasting render time on unnecessary tasks. It will take time and experience to get good at finding that cost/benefit balance. And, that cost/benefit balance point will change depending on your tolerance of render time and on your hardware. My server rack can crush animations, but someone on a 1.8GHz dual-core laptop would likely need to settle for much lower render settings.

I could screenshot render settings for example situations, such as "mesh lit model, night, Firefly", etc. I'll scrounge some such examples up.
You might notice that most of my test renders are night shots; that's because I want to see what the model's mesh lights can do on their own (without Poser lights), and it is the worst case scenario, render-wise. If you can get the night shot, then the day shot will be a piece of cake.

@Faery_Light : Thank you!:)

Last edited:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Check your inbox when you get a chance...

quietrob

Extraordinary
Check your inbox when you get a chance...
Just checked. Both Inboxes. Nada. You might check your sent folder. It's something I've done before.

Hope you enjoyed your fourth where ever you are! It's like a war zone where I live right now. It's the only place in Orange County, Ca, that has legalized fireworks!

Last edited:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Hmmm. Weird. Anyway, I was just asking how thing were going with you.

We were on the middle of the big blue pond, so our 4th of July was a "Steel Beach Picnic". The beach was the ship's flight deck. *yawn*...

quietrob

Extraordinary
Awww. I was wondering if you could see everyone tossing around ballistic missiles from where you are (or were).

Over here I heard the last cherry bomb go off almost 3am in the morning. The air smelled like napalm. It smelled like...

Victory.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Ha! I remember the good old days of picnics with the family, fireworks all day long, bottle rocket fights on main street until the cops chased us out of there (every participant was one of my relatives; go figure) and the huge displays at night put on by the local fire department. Things have changed so much.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
The MOS suit is almost ready for public consumption. I will be able to post some renders of it soon. I have to remodel the cape. I want something more realistic and that matches the movie suit. I am trying to model the folds around the neck.

man-of-steel-henry-cavill4.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Awww. I was wondering if you could see everyone tossing around ballistic missiles from where you are (or were).

Over here I heard the last cherry bomb go off almost 3am in the morning. The air smelled like napalm. It smelled like...

Victory.
The fireworks display here in NY is earlier in the day, but I'm too far away to hear it. If I'm lucky, and looking out the right window, I might catch some of it because I live on the top floor of the building.

That said, yeah I could hear the local cherry bombs (or whatever it was they were tossing around) until about 2:00am. Why they insist on doing it at such a ridiculous hour, since by then the 4th is over, is beyond me. New Year's even, yeah I can see it all much later, but not on July 4th.

Last edited: