• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Yeah, I suspected you were at sea. When one of the workstations finishes its assignment, I'll post screengrabs of metal materials.

Don't know if anyone can see this or not, but a very rough test animation of one of the waterfalls

waterfall

Ah! TinkerBell just finished. :) Superfly test render of the waterfall with the gazebo atop:

Using new node / lighting / specular / ks_microfacet: Jack it into alternate_specular, and give it a color tint. Done.

Or, you can use the PhysicalSurface root, set Metallic to 1, and adjust the Color box. Done. No other nodes needed.
BB used this to get gold with linear grooves...

The Fresnel_Blend gives the metal richer color viewed orthogonally, and brighter highlights viewed tangentially. The other four nodes are only needed for making the grooves.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Cool, cousin! Thanks! I'll play with this when I get a chance either tonight or tomorrow. We are in the end of a hectic schedule and I am worn out. But the new toy keeps me up at night if I don't have the will power to not turn on my laptop!

EDIT to add: That waterfall looks really good! I can't wait until I am proficient enough to start producing things for Poser 11.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Yeah, I suspected you were at sea. When one of the workstations finishes its assignment, I'll post screengrabs of metal materials.

Don't know if anyone can see this or not, but a very rough test animation of one of the waterfalls

waterfall

Ah! TinkerBell just finished. :) Superfly test render of the waterfall with the gazebo atop:

Using new node / lighting / specular / ks_microfacet: Jack it into alternate_specular, and give it a color tint. Done.

Or, you can use the PhysicalSurface root, set Metallic to 1, and adjust the Color box. Done. No other nodes needed.
BB used this to get gold with linear grooves...

The Fresnel_Blend gives the metal richer color viewed orthogonally, and brighter highlights viewed tangentially. The other four nodes are only needed for making the grooves.

Pinging as I often do...to save for good information. One can not learn enough about shaders and especially how to create your own.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
:lol: Now all you need is a little lettuce, and maybe some mayonnaise, and you can make a nice sandwich. ;)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Uh oh... I'm scared now. I am about to have my 8 year old machine attempt my first high quality Superfly render....
This could take a while but the results should be worth it. You might want to consider Render in Background as an option. It does an okay job of freeing up resources so you can still use your computer for research and other things.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
This could take a while but the results should be worth it. You might want to consider Render in Background as an option. It does an okay job of freeing up resources so you can still use your computer for research and other things.
Ha! You edited your post right before I clicked on it!

I will know in a few days I suppose. I am rendering an image at 1920x1440 px.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Uh oh... I'm scared now. I am about to have my 8 year old machine attempt my first high quality Superfly render....
Heh heh. Most of my hardware is 2008 vintage, and I do alright.:rolleyes: For 3D rendering, any of my workstations will outrun shiny new gaming and web surfing computers.
If you ever get the opportunity to get a "new" computer, ignore the web surfing Wal-Mart specials, and ignore the "high performance" gaming computers. Look on eBay for *used* workstations equipped with *two* Xeon processors.
Use the search term "2x X5690". That processor is the fastest of the Westmere series Xeons; they have six HyperThreaded cores each, so a pair gives you twenty four render threads. The specs on gaming computers are optimistic best case figures; Xeon specs are worst case scenario, guaranteed performance. Eir & Kara both have the ancient Harpertown (non-HyperThreaded, circa 2005) quad-core Xeons rated at 2.13GHz and memory rated at 600MHz, yet they always outran my 3.47GHz H/T quad core i7 with 1600MHz memory. Same number of threads (8).

These are the H/T hex-core Westmere series Xeon processors:

New, these workstations were breathtakingly expensive. But used, they sell for pennies on the dollar. Who has any use for obsolete industrial grade servers/workstations? (answer: 3D hobbyists!) The processors, motherboards, and registered memory are industrial grade stuff; I've never had any of it wear out. You *will* want to get a new hard drive, though.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I will be looking for a new laptop, cousin. I don't spend enough time home to get myself a workstation. One day I will, but for now I have to get a good laptop. I am seeing some of them coming out that have 7200 RPM hard drives now, which is good. Mine is still 5400. I got it in 2009, so it's actually more than 8 years old now. And it's having issues that I am afraid might be motherboard related.

D

Deleted member 325

Nothing builds good lats, abs, and upper body strength like lugging around a HP Z-600 Dual Hex-Core workstation and monitor instead of a laptop ;)