Hivewire Gorilla for Dusk

Discussion in 'Show Me The Honey' started by Alisa, May 3, 2016.

1. Virtual_World

Virtual_World Enthusiast Contributing Artist

Glad you found the issue with the Ambient setting, Laurie. Thank you!

I didn't notice the issue before because I always use Gamma on, for my renders. Here there is a render with Gamma turned off and Ambient dial set to zero. However I left the alternate diffuse connected.

GammaOff.jpg

2. Virtual_World

Thanks Miss B! I am very grateful to Laurie that found the cause of the issue!

3. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Yes, it's working, BUT, and this is a matter of preference . . . I'm leaving the Ambient color as it was, and just setting the value to 0, because otherwise he's too black, and then you can't see the hairs in the texture easily, depending on the lights used. There's not much of a difference between RGB 0/0/0 and RGB 16/0/0, so I'm leaving that alone.

Everything else is working perfectly. I'll add a render here in a few minutes.

. . . and here he is in all his glory!! Other lighting might show him off better, but this is the same lighting I used in my render above.

DuskGorilla-BlackP9-Fixed.jpg

Now I happened to like the brown Gorilla, it just seemed strange to see him black in preview and brown in render. Thank you Laurie, you are tremendous!! :D

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  4. Mythocentric

Mythocentric Extraordinary

Hi again and thank you all for your welcome. Apologies to Miss B if I appeared to be trying to teach you to suck eggs as the saying goes. That wasn't my intention though I must confess to lighting being something of a passion with me. Thanks also to CWRW and Dragonsegg for fixing a problem I had with the Shetland Ponies mane!

5. Miss B

Oh you don't have to apologize Mythocentric, I wasn't insulted at all. I just know that a lot of folks here on the forum have known me from other forums for years, so they know what I've gone through, and how I've progressed as far as setting up lighting and composition for my renders.

As a new member here, whom I don't think I've met on any other 3D forum, I just wanted you to know I've gone through the process, and trust me, my renders have thanked me for it. ;)

Mythocentric likes this.
  6. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

Welcome Mythocentric!

7. Chris

Chris HW3D President Staff Member Co-Founder

Indeed. Welcome new friend. Thanks for taking the effort to try something new. Appreciate your participation.

8. CWRW

CWRW Extraordinary HW3D Exclusive Artist

Looks great VW!!! Glad I was able to help! (Been spending waaaay too much time lately in the Material room trying to learn Superfly:)

9. Alisa

Alisa HW3D QAV Queen Bee Staff Member QAV-BEE

Welcome to HW, Mythocentric!

We'll be updating the Gorilla, folks, so no worries :)

Mythocentric likes this.
  10. Virtual_World

It feels great when we can help each other and work as a team! Thanks again CWRW, Paul and Alisa!.. and Lyne, Miss B and others who report the problem and helped resolve it by testing and reporting results!

Rae134 likes this.
  11. Virtual_World

Welcome Mythocentric!

12. Lyne

Lyne Dances with Bees HW Honey Bear

This has all been a valuable learning experience and now I know why when I find a texture set up in poser that I have modified and the map disappears-that is the one at the bottom of the "poser surface" becomes just a square of plain color that my brain will now be directed to look at the value set in ambient! This is very very helpful because every once in a great while that does happen and I never looked at the ambient number.

And you know this is one of those times in life when I keep reminding myself that out of difficulty comes positive things ! :)

13. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

Welcome Mythocentric!

14. Lyne

Lyne Dances with Bees HW Honey Bear

Welcome Mythocentric from me to! :)

15. Guy Conrad

Guy Conrad Inspired

Hi everyone, I'm working hard on your suggestions right now, and saved the diagram. I'm using Poser 9, and I was getting this- a skin totally unaffected by lighting. The mouth and teeth picked it up.
    Lighting is very important to me.
    I've been using Poser for 20 years, but I'm not really clever enough for advanced material settings. I do what people tell me. I like black gorillas rather than brown, but doesn't matter at this point.

unaffected by light.jpg

16. Guy Conrad

Guy Conrad Inspired

Oops! Seems I did not have the "legacy" textures (Poser 9) applied. I was sure I had. Sorry. Now what I've got is the aforementioned "Brown gorilla". Back to work.
    p9 firefly.jpg

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Pendraia like this.
  17. Miss B

Hey Guy, welcome to the HiveWire forums. ;)

As far as your Brown Gorilla, just follow Laurie's screenshot in the following post on the previous page, and you'll have a Black Gorilla --> Hivewire Gorilla for Dusk

The only thing I did differently is, I didn't change the Ambient Color as it's close enough to solid black to not make a difference. It's changing the Ambient Value to 0.000000 and the other changes she suggests that do the trick.

18. Lorraine

Lorraine The Wicked Witch of the North CV-BEE

Welcome to the Hive, Guy, pleased to meet you :)

19. Mythocentric

Mythocentric Extraordinary

Hi Guy! Welcome to the Forums! :D

20. Guy Conrad

Guy Conrad Inspired

Thank you everyone! Pleased to meet you too. I'll get to work on that, Miss B. Yes, I think I'm getting close. I'll try the radical strategy of using Laurie's screenshot tips on the right texture set this time. When I had the other texture the ambient settings were black and set to O, but no joy. (He was grayish black, though) Some things make me wonder if it's the beginning of the end for Poser 9. Everyone else's renders look so pretty.