• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hivewire Gorilla for Dusk

Virtual_World

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Glad you found the issue with the Ambient setting, Laurie. Thank you!

I didn't notice the issue before because I always use Gamma on, for my renders. Here there is a render with Gamma turned off and Ambient dial set to zero. However I left the alternate diffuse connected.

GammaOff.jpg

Virtual_World

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B! I am very grateful to Laurie that found the cause of the issue!

OK, I just tried again in Poser 9, though I have my Startup Scene to access lighting other than the Default Poser lights, so what I did was delete the lights and chose the Default Poser 2 lights from the Basic Light Sets that come with Poser, disconnected all the maps from the Gradient_Bump node, and even changed the Gradient_Mode from Normal Map (tangent space) back to Gradient Bump, as that's the default setup. I don't have my P9 set up to see my PP11 Runtime, so I haven't tried the PP11 FireFly materials, but I can't imagine them working properly.

It's still brown.

View attachment 9282

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, it's working, BUT, and this is a matter of preference . . . I'm leaving the Ambient color as it was, and just setting the value to 0, because otherwise he's too black, and then you can't see the hairs in the texture easily, depending on the lights used. There's not much of a difference between RGB 0/0/0 and RGB 16/0/0, so I'm leaving that alone.

Everything else is working perfectly. I'll add a render here in a few minutes.

. . . and here he is in all his glory!! Other lighting might show him off better, but this is the same lighting I used in my render above.

DuskGorilla-BlackP9-Fixed.jpg

Now I happened to like the brown Gorilla, it just seemed strange to see him black in preview and brown in render. Thank you Laurie, you are tremendous!! :D

Last edited:

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Oh I'm very conscious of lighting, and have done a lot of online webinars over the years with a view toward learning lighting, and it's helped a lot. That said, I've been outdoors looking at the same view at different times, and yes things look different, but I've noticed mostly they are lighter (or darker) shades of the same color depending on the time of day. Black rendering as brown however, doesn't seem to me to be a lighting issue, because I rendered the Gorilla in PP11 with FireFly and the same light set, and it's black not brown. Of course, the textures are different for the legacy versions, namely P9/PP2012 and P10/PP2014, than they are for P11/PP11.

Oh and BTW, welcome to the HiveWire forums Mythocentric. ;)

Hi again and thank you all for your welcome. Apologies to Miss B if I appeared to be trying to teach you to suck eggs as the saying goes. That wasn't my intention though I must confess to lighting being something of a passion with me. Thanks also to CWRW and Dragonsegg for fixing a problem I had with the Shetland Ponies mane!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh you don't have to apologize Mythocentric, I wasn't insulted at all. I just know that a lot of folks here on the forum have known me from other forums for years, so they know what I've gone through, and how I've progressed as far as setting up lighting and composition for my renders.

As a new member here, whom I don't think I've met on any other 3D forum, I just wanted you to know I've gone through the process, and trust me, my renders have thanked me for it. ;)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Glad you found the issue with the Ambient setting, Laurie. Thank you!

I didn't notice the issue before because I always use Gamma on, for my renders. Here there is a render with Gamma turned off and Ambient dial set to zero. However I left the alternate diffuse connected.

View attachment 9285

Looks great VW!!! Glad I was able to help! (Been spending waaaay too much time lately in the Material room trying to learn Superfly:)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Welcome to HW, Mythocentric!

We'll be updating the Gorilla, folks, so no worries :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
This has all been a valuable learning experience and now I know why when I find a texture set up in poser that I have modified and the map disappears-that is the one at the bottom of the "poser surface" becomes just a square of plain color that my brain will now be directed to look at the value set in ambient! This is very very helpful because every once in a great while that does happen and I never looked at the ambient number.

And you know this is one of those times in life when I keep reminding myself that out of difficulty comes positive things ! :)

Guy Conrad

Inspired
Hi everyone, I'm working hard on your suggestions right now, and saved the diagram. I'm using Poser 9, and I was getting this- a skin totally unaffected by lighting. The mouth and teeth picked it up.
Lighting is very important to me.
I've been using Poser for 20 years, but I'm not really clever enough for advanced material settings. I do what people tell me. I like black gorillas rather than brown, but doesn't matter at this point.

unaffected by light.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hey Guy, welcome to the HiveWire forums. ;)

As far as your Brown Gorilla, just follow Laurie's screenshot in the following post on the previous page, and you'll have a Black Gorilla --> Hivewire Gorilla for Dusk

The only thing I did differently is, I didn't change the Ambient Color as it's close enough to solid black to not make a difference. It's changing the Ambient Value to 0.000000 and the other changes she suggests that do the trick.

Guy Conrad

Inspired
Thank you everyone! Pleased to meet you too. I'll get to work on that, Miss B. Yes, I think I'm getting close. I'll try the radical strategy of using Laurie's screenshot tips on the right texture set this time. When I had the other texture the ambient settings were black and set to O, but no joy. (He was grayish black, though) Some things make me wonder if it's the beginning of the end for Poser 9. Everyone else's renders look so pretty.