• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hivewire Gorilla for Dusk

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Very true, but I don't think I've seen different lighting actually change colors.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have a sunset HDRi that does, makes everything really yellow, so would make the black look brown (not saying that's whats happening in this case tho)

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
As a newbie here having discovered Hivewire via a competitors forum, I've got to say that I'm delighted at the range and quality of the products available here and the Gorilla is no exception. For such a well-known and much loved animal its lack in the community has been sadly noticable and when I spotted it purchasing it was a no-brainer! Results so far have been excellent and with the possibility of a baby gorilla (and female morphs?) in the realm of possibility it can only get better! Well done guys! Its a winner! Now if someone could come up with an Orangutan (Sumatran and Bornean) to the same high standard you would make an aged Poser user very happy!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
GorillaLights.jpg

I have tried them all... still brown. I still hope to find out the mystery. One clue is that the Gorilla with NO lights
STILL shows up with a brown color, while most figures with textures on go black. Not sure what that means?
oh second one on top row is Fabi's Mild Boreal no AO "develop lights"

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I meant to add this to my previous post in reply to Miss B’s comment, “Very true, but I don't think I've seen different lighting actually change colors.”, but the timer beat me to it!

Yes! Light does make a difference. In fact lighting is the most important part of any picture, whether traditional or digital. It’s a point which even some digital-media based professionals ignore at their cost. As a former RCA trained traditional artist who moved to 3D work because of health reasons I’ve made a lifetime study of the way light affects the world around us and recognising that can make the difference between a good picture and an amazing picture! The problem is a combination of eye, brain and personal perception tries to convince us otherwise. There’s a simple experiment which I used to suggest to my students. Take three photographs of a familiar group of objects or view at just after sunrise, around noon and just before sunset from the same position. A digital camera makes this easy! Study the way the light affects the colours in the photographs. The results I believe will astound you! Regards!

Miss B

CV-BEE
I meant to add this to my previous post in reply to Miss B’s comment, “Very true, but I don't think I've seen different lighting actually change colors.”, but the timer beat me to it!

Yes! Light does make a difference. In fact lighting is the most important part of any picture, whether traditional or digital. It’s a point which even some digital-media based professionals ignore at their cost. As a former RCA trained traditional artist who moved to 3D work because of health reasons I’ve made a lifetime study of the way light affects the world around us and recognising that can make the difference between a good picture and an amazing picture! The problem is a combination of eye, brain and personal perception tries to convince us otherwise. There’s a simple experiment which I used to suggest to my students. Take three photographs of a familiar group of objects or view at just after sunrise, around noon and just before sunset from the same position. A digital camera makes this easy! Study the way the light affects the colours in the photographs. The results I believe will astound you! Regards!
Oh I'm very conscious of lighting, and have done a lot of online webinars over the years with a view toward learning lighting, and it's helped a lot. That said, I've been outdoors looking at the same view at different times, and yes things look different, but I've noticed mostly they are lighter (or darker) shades of the same color depending on the time of day. Black rendering as brown however, doesn't seem to me to be a lighting issue, because I rendered the Gorilla in PP11 with FireFly and the same light set, and it's black not brown. Of course, the textures are different for the legacy versions, namely P9/PP2012 and P10/PP2014, than they are for P11/PP11.

Oh and BTW, welcome to the HiveWire forums Mythocentric. ;)

Virtual_World

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Lyne, I downloaded the last version of the Gorilla from the store and tested again the Legacy materials in Poser 2014 and the skin renders black for me.

<<<<<Edited to add: Tested again and this doesn't apply to Poser 2014 (please see post #52), need a volunteer that test this in Poser 9>>>>>>Just to be sure, remember to never apply the P11 materials in P9-P10 because there are some incompatibilities (even with the Firefly version). In older versions of Poser you should always apply the Legacy version of the materials.<<<<<Edited to add: Tested again and this doesn't apply to Poser 2014>>>>>>

I don't have installed Poser 9. If any of you are using the Legacy materials and are still having this issue with Poser 9 or 10, Can you please remove the normal map from the material preset and render again to see if this solves the issue? I will appreciate your help.

View attachment 9246

I have tried them all... still brown. I still hope to find out the mystery. One clue is that the Gorilla with NO lights
STILL shows up with a brown color, while most figures with textures on go black. Not sure what that means?
oh second one on top row is Fabi's Mild Boreal no AO "develop lights"

Last edited:

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
loaded the gorilla P9-10 into poser pro 2014. it rendered black. I just used the default render settings and default PP2014 lighting.

View attachment 9235

I did load all which I guess loaded the .pz3. to be honest I haven't ever paid attention to that as I have no issues with my UI. But I know poser is kind of buggy so I am not saying it doesn't happen. For example I can't use any of the head and or neck controls on Whisper. If I do the mane just goes crazy and no idea why. Personally I think poser 11 and I guess Poser Pro 2014 have some unresolved issues.

Interesting!

On the Gorilla I did the preload in P10 and just used the default lighting. Worked just fine. I manually applied both MATS and rendered- Again just fine- Def do need Gamma Correction turned on in P10 or he is brown. P9 doesn't have the Gamma Correction option and I haven't tried it in P9 at all. The P11 versions work great too, no issues there.

So on Whisper- I did a lot of my promo imagery for Whisper in P11 and haven't had any issues with any of his controls. He works as well as any of the HW Horse products. I wonder why you are having an issue? Do you have Limits turned on? Curious to sort out why you are having a problem with him.

Virtual_World

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
It renders black for me even if I apply the P11 materials. Here there is a Poser 2014 test render with P11 and P9-10 material applied (gamma correction turned on).
P2014 render.jpg

Last edited:

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Haha at me. I didn't have limits on because well I forgot, several times. That fixes the mane and I do know better.

LOL yep the mane can do some seriously wonky stuff with Limits turned off- glad it was an easy answer!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
OK... Gamma does work BUT I do not NOT want to be forced to use GAMMA ! It darkens the entire scene, changes how lighting works... I do NOT want to be changing ALL my lights that work for ALL figures/objects I have already . (gamma setting per Laurie's 2.2 in an e mail)

PS Gamma of 2.2 needed to make Gorilla black, REALLY darkens all, and reduces contrast a LOT! So Less 3d effect!! :(

Last edited:

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Lyne I might have an idea for a workaround for you re Gamma Correction- let me try it and I will let you know.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, I just tried again in Poser 9, though I have my Startup Scene to access lighting other than the Default Poser lights, so what I did was delete the lights and chose the Default Poser 2 lights from the Basic Light Sets that come with Poser, disconnected all the maps from the Gradient_Bump node, and even changed the Gradient_Mode from Normal Map (tangent space) back to Gradient Bump, as that's the default setup. I don't have my P9 set up to see my PP11 Runtime, so I haven't tried the PP11 FireFly materials, but I can't imagine them working properly.

It's still brown.

DuskGorilla-NoNormalMaps.jpg

Last edited:

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I just figured out what is causing the brown color with no GC/P9 etc. The Ambient Value is set to 1 - set that to 0 and set the Ambient Color to pure black. All better.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Quick fix FWIW- Gorilla in p10 Firefly with no Gamma Correction:
GorillaP10NoGC.jpg

This is what I did to all the skin surfaces (I didn't change the mouth or eyes or teeth etc)

P10MatChange.jpg