• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia That's already more than I know about geografting. LOL

@eclark1894 I think the major difference is that conforming *tries* to stay together with the host mesh, while geografting actually remains together as if it were part of it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
How is geografting better or different from conforming then?

@Pendraia That's already more than I know about geografting. LOL

@eclark1894 I think the major difference is that conforming *tries* to stay together with the host mesh, while geografting actually remains together as if it were part of it.

Thanks for further explanation there Pen, and that's to you too Ken.

Paul (over my shoulder) says you're both correct.
Sorry not sure how I missed these posts earlier.

@Earl, it's my understanding that it's similar to alternate geometry. Say for example you were adding a horn to the head. You would duplicate a ring of polys on the head as a starting point and build the horn from that starting point. It's then set up in DS so it will replace the geometry inside that ring. Iirc it also replaces the ring of polys that were duplicated but it's a while since I had a play with it, over two years back now. It will give you a more realistic joint then just doing a prop or conforming add on.
@Ken, I don't know a lot about it but I did have a play with some tree shaped antlers for Genesis a few years back.
@Chris, glad that I got it right, it's been a while since I experimented with it.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
So, hypothetically one *could* have geografted talons for the dragon's front paws. At least in Studio. Matching the skin would be a pain in the butt for the user, but at least the shape would be usable as an alternate.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Yup. "hypothetically", one could replace the whole front legs with geo-grafted fins or flippers. Normally with geo-grafted stuff, there is a ring of faces around the appendage which shares the same surface UV as whatever the corresponding surface on the base figure uses. If the content artist is REALLY nice, that also involves a trans-map which fades into whatever texture you want to use on the appendage...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So, hypothetically one *could* have geografted talons for the dragon's front paws. At least in Studio. Matching the skin would be a pain in the butt for the user, but at least the shape would be usable as an alternate.

Yup. "hypothetically", one could replace the whole front legs with geo-grafted fins or flippers. Normally with geo-grafted stuff, there is a ring of faces around the appendage which shares the same surface UV as whatever the corresponding surface on the base figure uses. If the content artist is REALLY nice, that also involves a trans-map which fades into whatever texture you want to use on the appendage...

Both would be doable...the trans map sounds like a great idea. I know that many people wanted alternate textures for some of Rawn's geografted characters with Genesis. A trans map would make this doable for more people.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
oh imagine flippers for the front legs for Harry and a mertail for the back :D

With all the new animals and wings and such, we could get griffons, hippogryffs, and hippocampus SO COOL!
(has been on my list of wants for a long time).

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Just to let the folks who have been watching, know...We have started the rigging on the HiveWire Big Cat. WHere did we begin? The front toes and claws of course!

Paw01.JPG

Paw02.JPG

Paw03.JPG

Paw04.JPG

Paw05.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yeah, this is going to be super versatile, and with your rig and Laurie's map work, it will be stellar!!