• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I'm looking at images like these.

ATigerH.jpg
sumatran-tiger-hero_92514619.jpg

Attachments

• Bengal_Tiger_in_Water_600.jpg
    Bengal_Tiger_in_Water_600.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 328
  • bengal-tiger-why-matter_7341043.jpg
    bengal-tiger-why-matter_7341043.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 262

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh it's interesting how the mane in this last photo looks rather angular on the sides, like it forms a pentagon.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, that's not what I would call a mane, as lions have them all around their heads. Nice reference photos Chris. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Right, it seems to start from the ears down. More like a beard like Chris said. I am still intrigued - I didn't know tigers had that.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ohh, the tiger mane really seem to start at the ears, going down wider from there. Pretty similar to a human beard. The face patterns are so exquisite, almost unreal. Very interesting how the mane varies from one tiger to another, and also with age. The only constant is the black stripe around the base, and how it turns white along the rest. Quite a distinct look.

In the "beard" that Chris has modeled, the black stripe would go around the 'band' around the head, while the petals would be mostly white hair.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
do you think we will be able to get a toon tiger takeoff on this when done?
I just saw the newest Mowgli (SP!?) film and the bad tiger was great looking on it especially that damaged front leg/paw.
Would be nice to get a toon version of that with a morphing paw to make o=it look damaged.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Looking great, Chris! ^_____^

Funny how I didn't notice tigers actually had a mane until now. I thought only lions had a mane, but here it is! Now I wonder if all tigers have manes, or maybe some do?

I love this shagier mane best of all especially good on a male of the species. Hope we get lots muscles on this bad boy!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You know JOdel, now that you mention it, THAT's what they remind me of. More so than a mane.

Harimau

Eager
Tigers wear muttonchop whiskers.
The 'mane' on the tiger are often referred to as 'ruff' and they are usually present in male tigers. The same word is used for that collar as that worn by Queen Elizabeth I as mentioned by Satira Capricio. In animals it refers to a fringe of hair or feathers around the neck.

Last edited:

Harimau

Eager
Incidentally, a ruff is also a kind of bird with, well, a ruff.

Ruff (Calidris pugnax):
5649a911bdcd8.jpg

Another animal with a ruff is the Ruffed Lemur.

A Black and White Ruffed Lemur (Varecia variegata):
Varecia_variegata_full_body_curled_up.jpg

Harimau

Eager
Here are some information charts on my favourite animal (as you may have guessed):

1. Characteristics:

26168960_10155943388319707_1684083802322383117_n.png

Geographic Distribution:

TigerInfographic2-Main.jpg

Main Subspecies Variations:

feline_variations_i__tiger_by_sindos-d2l83g2_small.jpg

All Six Extant Subspecies:

tiger_comparisons_huge_file_by_i_am_chaos-d3khcd8.jpg

Extant (but Threatened) and Recently Extinct Species:

794da386a7c23aa52f18a3f684781d82.jpg

The Largest Tigers that ever lived (the Ngandong is a giant extinct Pleistocene tiger):

Gianttigercomparisons_zpsaccfabfa_png~small.jpg

Facial Variations:

tigergrid.jpg

Note that the Amur tiger is the Siberian tiger.