• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire 3D Store Officially Closing at the end of Jan 4th (Midnight US Mountain time)

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Just when you think that 2020 cannot get any worse you are once again proved wrong, really a case of 'smile things could be worse, so I smiled and sure enough things got worse'.

If there is any saving grace it is that the forums will be staying open but it really is not going to be a great start to 2021, for me at least. I do hope that is not true for all of the HiveWire3D team and that your plans work out and you all finish up in a better and brighter place. Other than that I really do not know what to say (almost a first for me) it will take me a while to absorb this news which already saddens me greatly.

:grouphug:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
If Hivewire3d is moving to Renderosity, do we have to buy the products we bought all over again?
Am I missing something? I must be. Just make sure you've downloaded your HW purchases before our store portion is closed the last of January.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I think the trick is to take the sales records, figure out who has an account at 'Rosity and then just do some data entry over at 'Rosity to make sure that all that is there. Then if there are updates to existing products that person will get an update notice from 'Rosity! I know the data entry thing is a pain in the butt and not sure if there is a more automated way to do it but here's hoping!

DanaTA

Distinguished
I think the trick is to take the sales records, figure out who has an account at 'Rosity and then just do some data entry over at 'Rosity to make sure that all that is there. Then if there are updates to existing products that person will get an update notice from 'Rosity! I know the data entry thing is a pain in the butt and not sure if there is a more automated way to do it but here's hoping!
There is always an automated way to do it. It just has to be determined what database engine was used for incoming data, and what engine is used for current data. When I worked for Key3Media Events (then creators of the world's largest IT Info conferences and events, like COMDEX Fall), I worked on porting all our data from Visual FoxPro to Oracle. It just takes some researching the two databases to compare the tables and columns and matching them up, transforming/converting data types if need be, then importing the data in batches, first into a dev copy of the database and thoroughly testing, then finally into the production database. I don't know the particular details of either database used, but I know that it's possible in most major database engines.

Dana

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
There are cases where the usernames are different. I signed up on Rendo as Vasago and here as Sunfire. That does complicate the matter a tad.

DanaTA

Distinguished
There are cases where the usernames are different. I signed up on Rendo as Vasago and here as Sunfire. That does complicate the matter a tad.
The mass of data would not be like that. That would be done first. Then you (as a database programmer) look at the exceptions. Then you get a list of possible matches, research them, confirm them, and create a match table that would be checked when processing the data for export. A little complicated, but nothing an experienced and competent database programmer can't handle! Of course, a modicum of cooperation from clients/users and appropriate management is helpful!

Dana

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Am I missing something? I must be. Just make sure you've downloaded your HW purchases before our store portion is closed the last of January.

maybe thinking of any future updates to models ... I wonder if Rendo will change usernames ( no charge ) for those that need to or want to match up stuff...

Hornet3d

Wise
The carry over of data would be welcome but just in case I have downloaded all of the purchases. It took a while at fifty plus pages but better than losing them. So now I will have a local copy on a hard drive another on an M disk and a further copy sat in the cloud. May not be necessary but losing the HiveWire3D store is real loss but the thought of losing Dawn is a tragedy of a completely different order.

Hornet3d

Wise
Looking at this from a different viewpoint, losing the Hivewire3D store is tragic and, while not wanting to start any sort of software war, I think it will impact many Poser users far more than DS but think of what might have been. Where would us Poser users be now if Rendo had not purchased Poser from Smith Micro?

DanaTA

Distinguished
I would think that email would play into it as well not just user names!
Yes, that would be part of the research, part of the data scrubbing, as it is sometimes called. Comparing each identifying part of the record, seeing if it's actually the same person or not (someone with the username DanaTA has an account on DeviantArt, but it's not me), then finding out from those in charge what the rule will be for such cases. Data import programming will need to take care to avoid duplicate records, etc.

Dana

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I would think that email would play into it as well not just user names!
IIRC, that's how Daz did it w/ the RDNA buyout. The emails had to match, from there they probably inserted the pertinent purchase data from RDNA's sql tables to Daz's and matched up products ids. Mind you I'm grossly oversimplifying this for simplicity's sake.