• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do
D

Deleted member 325

As a rookie, I'd like to see the cr2 in a text file so I can see what you're speaking about with regards to pointing to the OBJ.

Either way I'm pinging this thread for pure knowledge.
You can open CR2 files using Wordpad on PC (not sure of the equivalent on MAC), just choose "Open With". I actually have my CR2, PZ2, PP2, and most other Poser files set to default open/edit with WordPad.

Once open, what I mean by "Point to" is that there are lines in the CR2 that tell Poser what and where the relevant geometry data for a figure is, something like this line:
prop atomic-rayzapper
{
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
objFileGeom 0 0 :runtime:Geometries:KageRyu:Atom0:atomicrayzapper.obj
}-0

That contains the relative path (within a linked Poser Library) to the OBJ used for this prop I was working on. So if I make edits or changes under another program and save under another name, say atomicrayzapper2.obj I just need to change the lines in the CR2/PP2 containing it.
I always suggest saving any changes or alterations under a slightly differing name...and I always disable auto-saves and backups (even though I have lost work from forgetting to save) because I do not like auto-overwriting a file with critical changes until they are proven, and I have had some auto-saves corrupt the files.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know! The more I look at it, the more I think I understand the objFileGeom was told to look in the runtime/Geometries folder for folder Atom where atomicrayzapper.obj is located.

Amazing!

D

Deleted member 325

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know! The more I look at it, the more I think I understand the objFileGeom was told to look in the runtime/Geometries folder for folder Atom where atomicrayzapper.obj is located.

Amazing!
Pretty close, just replace the : with \ on the PC and that's the directory to the OBJ relative to the runtime. On MAC and some other systems (like the Old Commodore Amiga series) : were used instead of \ so it's normal to me. In the example I gave the path would have been:
runtime\Geometries\KageRyu\Atom0\
Also, by knowing this, it let's you break one of the golden cardinal rules of Poser - moving files around... just make sure to edit the PP2 or CR2 to know where the new file is. If you have a Prop or Figure that loads with the wrong geometry or textures, chances are it has bad file references in it and needs fixed to be told where the right ones are (if you have library search on Poser will look for the filename outside where it should be, but will take any file with that name...and sometimes you have files with identical names from different authors, especially with textures).

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I was just going to ask Leo, do you still have the original OBJ file? I've often read where you should NOT use the OBJ file Poser creates. I would check the CR2 file to see which OBJ it's pointing to. If it's pointing to the one Poser saved in the same folder with the CR2, I would, as Ken suggested, use D3D's PFE to edit the path's to the OBJ you originally imported into Poser. That might fix that issue right up.

Yes, I have. I tried with both, the original and that one that Poser creates, relocating the obj to the Geometries folder and change the path of the CR2. Same result.
Thanks for the reply!

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Sometimes the mess is in the CR2, and not the OBJ itself. Happened many time to me when editing MAT zones in Poser.

I suggest creating a new temporary CR2 from the OBJ, which will create the correct MAT zones, and then use a CR2 editor to replace the ones in your existing CR2. With D3D's Poser File Editor, that's just a copy and paste (or drag and drop) operation. Of course, this will only work if your existing OBJ is the same as the one you create the CR2 from. :)

I'll try with this temp. I have CR2 editor, is it work the same as Poser File Editor?
Thanks for replying!

Last edited:

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
As Miss B suggested, try not overwriting the original OBJ with the one Poser created...try instead exporting an OBJ from the PZ3 that has the right MATs with appropriate boxes checked. Then after you save the CR2, delete the new OBJ it also creates in the library and edit the CR2 to point to the OBJ you exported instead. That Should hopefully fix it.

I didn't try that yet, I'll do.
Thanks for replying!

Last edited:

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
As a rookie, I'd like to see the cr2 in a text file so I can see what you're speaking about with regards to pointing to the OBJ.

Either way I'm pinging this thread for pure knowledge.

I'll post it soon. I can't find anything wrong in the CR2.
You can open CR2 file in any text editor, like notepad. Then do a search for ".obj" and you can see the path of the Runtime.
In my case, when I save the suit in the library, Poser creates an obj file in the Character folder, together with CR2 file. But my original OBJ is in the Geometries folder. So I have to open the CR2 file in a text editor and rewrite to not pointing at the obj that Poser creates, but the obj which is in the Geometries folder.
Thanks for replying!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I'll try with this temp. I have CR2 editor, is it work the same as Poser File Editor?
Thanks for replying!

It's not too unusual when there is a mismatch between the mats in the OBJ and the CR2. That's why I suggested rebuilding the CR2 just to copy the materials from it. I think any editor will do. :)

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
The weird thing is that I can't find the "Left" and "Right" materials zones in CR2 that appears in the Material room.
Probably I will release the superhero poses first, while I deal with this.
There's already your superhero release, then this will be a plus. ;)
Thanks for your help, Ken!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
If you can't find mat zones that you KNOW are in the geometry, it's a pretty good indication of a mismatch between the CR2 and the OBJ - it happens. Would you like me to fix it for you? I only need the CR2 and the OBJ that contains the correct mat zones.

Oh yes, superhero poses could he mutually beneficial. If you reference my outfit with your poses, it could increase both our sales. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
yep...looks like the seam is at the back of the boot. I think that maybe the two parts of the sole are on top of one another...at least that's what I think has happened.

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Can someone tell me where the seams are on this boot? The sole is rather easy to see, but the upper part of the boot is throwing me. Also, is a portion missing?

The seams are on Blender (kidding :). They're on the back of the calf. And there's the sole and midsole. Not portion missing.

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
If you can't find mat zones that you KNOW are in the geometry, it's a pretty good indication of a mismatch between the CR2 and the OBJ - it happens. Would you like me to fix it for you? I only need the CR2 and the OBJ that contains the correct mat zones.

Oh yes, superhero poses could he mutually beneficial. If you reference my outfit with your poses, it could increase both our sales. :)

I'll try for the last time and then if nothing goes right, I send you. I also had sent it to another person to test it, but it's all right. Only with me seems it happens and only with the suit. I've got to figure out what is.

I think almost all the poses fit with your outfit. I will related it on the store. I just need to package and make the promos.

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I'd like the opinion of yours. Do you prefer a separate product for Poser and DS or an unique pack with both?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
For me it comes down to price. As a DS only user, that's the only option I need and is usually much cheaper than when the product has the Poser version as well. But if the pack has a good discount then its not so bad.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That's true - a product that is for both Poser and DS has a higher price, cheaper than it would be to buy them both separarately, but more expensive than each alone.