• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I am sorry to hear it has already gone so far in the UK. I know I had heard yesterday that Pennsylvania was beginning a practice something like the letters you describe (as I understand it) - but the news also reports necessary excursions for supplies or medical reasons are allowed, so I am unsure how that will work. It doesn't help that so many are disregarding the social distancing here and helping the virus spread - thus making the powers that be feel justified and necessary in implementing laws for it. As a very proud son of Massachusetts (rebellious and stubborn streak that goes deep) I chafe against this a great deal, but am trying to comply for now for the sake of public health - it just rubs me the wrong way.

I feel everyone could use some hope, so let me try to put aside my normally gloomy outlook.
Among Rays of Hope-
I had heard in the last few days that there were promising results overseas of testing for anti-bodies in those previously afflicted. Has anyone else heard this or can confirm? This would be a big step in the direction of inoculation/Vaccines. Also, local news reported at least 2 residents in Mahoning County (where I am) and 1 in Pennsylvania that were in intensive care had been successfully treated using a synthetic version of Quinine, though this drug apparently is dangerous in itself. These were both things mentioned in passing and without much detail by the local media. Also it was mentioned that an Ohio company is producing machinery to sterilize the masks for reuse based on pre-existing technologies phased out in the 80's. Ford and GM are manufacturing respirators. A mail order dental company is using it's 3D printing/Manufacturing to produce face shields to ship to first responders. Battelle and OSU's Wexner medical center have developed a sensitive rapid test for Covid-19 (4-5 days ago) being deployed in Ohio and hopefully soon elsewhere.

Hornet3d

Wise
There has been talk of the antibodies test being available in the UK for a couple of weeks now and it was expected this week. No sign of it yet I just hope it is just delayed rather than not available, at least this would help to get some of key workers that are presently at home back to work. On the wider issue it depends how this is used, if some are allowed to go back to work but others with no symptoms and no antibodies are made to stay home with heavily reduced pay I can foresee problems.

Other good news here in the UK is that they are building temporary new hospitals in weeks rather than years the first one, the Nightingale hospital in London, should open to day. Aslo a number of companies such as Dyson and some of the Formula One racing teams based in the UK are building ventilators and are just awaiting approval. One company in Ireland that used to make sports wear and had to lay off people due to lack of demand is now back up and running fully staffed making gowns and other essential wear for Hospital staff.

All in all the population in the UK have stepped up to the plate and doing the right thing. Shops are open and policing social distancing and many of the shelves that were empty are now stocked most of the time. I think most of the population now know that the lockdown is going to last months rather than weeks and there is no way you can stockpile to cover such a period.

From stories I get from friends and relations that are key workers and still working is there are two extremes in play, a lot of the young are going out for the wrong reasons and at least some of the elderly are going out for the right reasons, such as shopping, but are very abusive to staff. I am not saying that is UK wide and the examples are not that common but that is certainly the trend I hear from those I know still working.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Reportedly one shopkeeper was issued with a fine because she was caught marking 2 meter markers outside her shop to help customers with social distancing. The officer in question stated it was graffiti.
We've had something similar here last week, though no fine was issued, they were just removed. In this case the manager of our local supermarket, aside from only allowing a certain amount (10 I believe) people in at a time, they had used a bright blue tape to mark off the 6ft. social distancing for folks waiting to get in.

When I mentioned it to a neighbor, she called me the next day to tell me they had taken off those bright blue strips of tape because they were told to by the local police. I guess if it weren't for the fact the local precinct is only about 5 or 6 blocks away, this neighborhood is more likely to have officers strolling around this area giving tickets to those who are parked at meters that have expired, even though our usual alternate side of the street parking rules have been indefinitely suspended, the meters are still working.

Hornet3d

Wise
We've had something similar here last week, though no fine was issued, they were just removed. In this case the manager of our local supermarket, aside from only allowing a certain amount (10 I believe) people in at a time, they had used a bright blue tape to mark off the 6ft. social distancing for folks waiting to get in.

When I mentioned it to a neighbor, she called me the next day to tell me they had taken off those bright blue strips of tape because they were told to by the local police. I guess if it weren't for the fact the local precinct is only about 5 or 6 blocks away, this neighborhood is more likely to have officers strolling around this area giving tickets to those who are parked at meters that have expired, even though our usual alternate side of the street parking rules have been indefinitely suspended, the meters are still working.

The somewhat strange part is that many of our large supermarkets have done exactly the same thing and one chain Tesco's have even produced an advert showing that they have done this and how people should take note of the markings. Some of the supermarkets are on their own land but many of the local 'express' versions are not. Perhaps another case of the individual shopkeepers being penalised when the bigger companies can make up their own rules.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My employer provided us with a letter mid March stating we were essential workers when Philadelphia ordered non-essential business to close their physical locations. I'm sure other employers provided similar letters to those employees considered essential.

My coworkers who have had to travel have not been stopped and forced to produce the letter. Nor have they even had to produce the letter to enter the office or any other buildings.

All "non-life-sustaining" businesses in Pennsylvania have now been ordered to close physical locations, and everyone not required to travel to work have been asked to stay at home. So ... tell me why traffic on the major street I live on hasn't really decreased from its normal volume. Instead, the traffic has become heavier than when Philadelphia and the surrounding counties were first put under Shutdown/Stay at Home orders mid March.

A letter stating you are an essential employee is insurance in case enforcement of orders to Stay at Home are required. Nothing has been announced in Pennsylvania that a letter is required or that people out in public will be stopped and forced to produce documentation to prove they have a legitimate reason to be away from home. Understandably, the governor is hesitant to take that step, and is currently more focused on employers violating closure orders, but it's rather clear from what I see and what my coworkers say during our teleconferences that a lot of people are not taking this pandemic seriously and are ignoring the orders to stay home. Far too many people still believe they are immune because of age or race or believe the pandemic is just a hoax. That ignorance or disbelief will cause/is causing people to die.

The risk of being exposed to COVID-19 while out in the community in Philadelphia has moved from being low to high. With so many people ignoring Stay at Home orders, when do we start enforcing the orders? People should be stopped and warned to stay home if they do not have a legitimate reason for being out in the community. They should be checked for fever and other symptoms.

This isn't being unnecessarily draconian. This is attempting to protect us, our loved ones, and other's loved ones from becoming seriously ill or even dying from a outbreak that never should have reached the stage it is in the US. Or any advanced country. What is wrong with a governor who this week claims he only just now learned people can infect others before showing any signs of being sick. Can he not read? Has he not been listening to the news/reliable news? Or is he just ignorant.

This isn't an illness we cannot control. We most certainly can limit the spread of COVID-19. The sooner we limit the number of people being exposed and getting sick, the sooner businesses can open and those unable to work remotely can go back to work. But to reach that point, we have to slow the number of people becoming ill and increase the number of people being tested. The US is nowhere near being able to do either.

My across the hall neighbors who are college age still have college age friends visiting at all hours of the evening/night. Often after midnight. Just as loud and "silly" before all schools in Philadelphia, including colleges, were closed. Why?

I don't mean to sound confrontational. I'm just so tired of people in my community refusing to take any responsibility for putting those around them at risk. By now, everyone should understand this is an illness that is far too easily spread, that no one is immune to it, that you can spread it without feeling ill, that it is likely to be more serious than the seasonal flu, and that it is everyone's responsibility to do everything they can do to limit the risk to others.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I agree, Satira. My state has been under a "Stay at Home-Stay Healthy" order for several weeks that has now been extended til at least May 4th. Like most, if not almost all, places that are under these orders, you ARE allowed to go out for exercise (but not in groups), to get groceries, go to the doctor, go to work (those in essential businesses - and there are a lot of those).

Personally, I WELCOME these orders. I am in at least 4 of the categories that put me at high risk for dying from this illness should I contract it, and every person that is coming too close to other people during this time is putting people like me in danger, because of how easily this can spread.

I live between 2 small cities, and we only have 8 known cases in our county, though we're just a few hours from Seattle, so I feel safer here than I would there, but still....

The big grocery stores have things like "stand here" signs on the floor 6 feet apart at checkouts, and some have them as you come in, telling you how far to stay away from others). I was out doing grocery shopping yesterday, and while most people are being good, not everyone is. I was getting a pack of shredded lettuce and someone came RIGHT NEXT TO ME to grab something in the bin to my left, instead of waiting til I walked away (which is what I am doing).

Hornet3d

Wise
I agree but I struggle to see an answer, while the social media has proved a blessing at these times it has also a darker side in that it can, and does, provide a false narrative. That allows people to find views that support their's no matter how idiotic. I really struggle to see how any one can still believe this is a hoax, a move to affect one countries politics in which almost every country in the world is in on the hoax, yet you will find those on the Internet still supporting the hoax theory. It appears some still believe it and many more see it as a reason for them to carry on with their normal life.

I wonder just how many will still see this as fake news when almost everyone will know of someone who has died from this virus. This is not a stab at the US, this is happening just the same here in the UK and I am also one of the ones at risk and I was self isolating since before the lockdown. I am sure the massive deaths seen in both Italy and Spain are also because people did not see or believe the danger soon enough. Those that still deny this crisis be they politicians, business leaders, or just members of the general public have blood on their hands. I hope they can live with themselves if the dire predictions get anywhere close to being true.

Hornet3d

Wise
Looking from this with a different viewpoint I wonder what the outcome would have been had this have hit us say twenty years ago. How many who pay their bills online today would have coped if it had been 20 years ago and just how many could work from home. Where would we be without the massive warehouses built to support online shopping and the delivery network built up to support it. I wonder if post virus there will be the same hatred from certain individuals who make their present hatred of Amazon so apparent.

It is a sad fact that we need them but the food kitchens have done their part, something that did not exist twenty years ago, or if it did, it was not on the same scale. I know we could play the 'what if' game for ever and a day but it does make me wonder.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
My daughter appears to have discovered the "trick" that will keep folks 6ft away at least - she wears her scrubs from the vets office to the store with a mask. She says folks steer clear of her as much as possible - which is the whole idea, thankyouverymuch.

We don't go out unless absolutely necessary, and I just stay in the car with the baby. I haven't been out in public in months, which is fine by me.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The big grocery stores have things like "stand here" signs on the floor 6 feet apart at checkouts, and some have them as you come in, telling you how far to stay away from others). I was out doing grocery shopping yesterday, and while most people are being good, not everyone is. I was getting a pack of shredded lettuce and someone came RIGHT NEXT TO ME to grab something in the bin to my left, instead of waiting til I walked away (which is what I am doing).
Yes my supermarket, part of a chain in several of the states here in the Northeast, also has signs not only at the beginning of each aisle, but also at each checkout counter, which happen to be in line with the aisles, so very much in view of anyone, and everyone, coming into the store.

I've seen most folks stop in their tracks to see if someone further down the aisle they're in is going to come closer, or turn around and go back the way they entered the aisle. For the most part, folks have been good about spacing themselves behind the person in front of them on line for checkout, though the store hasn't marked the floors specifically to be 6ft. apart. I haven't walked up to the checkout counters until the person in front of me is at the other end gathering up their packages, or putting them in a shopping cart, because that area is much more than 6ft in distance, and I don't move up to pay for my purchases until they've moved on to leave the store.

The markings they had outside the store were actually on the side of the store, and not on the sidewalk, so when I heard the police had told them to remove it, it surprised me a bit. I can see on the sidewalks, as that doesn't belong to the supermarket, but found it odd they made them remove it from the outside wall of the supermarket..

One thing I noticed this week, instead of shelving all supplies they get in, they're doing some, and when they're gone, they shelve some more, and so on, and so forth. Thanks to this decision I FINALLY got 2 4-packs of toilet paper, and a 10-roll pack of paper towels. YAY!!! I guess they realized by spacing it out like that, more folks who don't get to the store first thing in the morning, are getting a better chance of getting what they need. :D

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I agree, Satira. My state has been under a "Stay at Home-Stay Healthy" order for several weeks that has now been extended til at least May 4th. Like most, if not almost all, places that are under these orders, you ARE allowed to go out for exercise (but not in groups), to get groceries, go to the doctor, go to work (those in essential businesses - and there are a lot of those).

Personally, I WELCOME these orders. I am in at least 4 of the categories that put me at high risk for dying from this illness should I contract it, and every person that is coming too close to other people during this time is putting people like me in danger, because of how easily this can spread.

I live between 2 small cities, and we only have 8 known cases in our county, though we're just a few hours from Seattle, so I feel safer here than I would there, but still....

I heard somewhere Washington state is doing relatively well in terms of starting to flatten the curve. I'm so glad the governor called for the measures when he did.

I looked it up on google maps I'm 30 miles from Seattle. It's not updated on the state figures but apparently there's now 13 in my county. The city commissioner is updating everyone on FB.

The unassigned numbers here https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus are homeless. I remember when they bought a motel at the beginning of the outbreak to house the affected homeless. I think it had between 10 and 20 rooms. Wonder where they are now.

My heart goes out to NYC! And New Jersey.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
The power of being connected to the world via the internet is part of what I think will assist us to come out of this stronger than before. It is my hope that when forced to stay in place, people will become curious about what they are told is true and do their own research. I always remind myself that ‘there’s a bit of truth in everything’ when doing my own research. Discerning what’s true though, it’s challenging with so much mis- and dis-information out there.

Human nature, being what it is, will always create an Us vs Them scenario and then force us to pick sides.

Your example of Amazon is a good one. They provide great service. I love that I can get items to my door quickly. I love that I can read reviews to make purchasing decisions. I love that I can pay one yearly fee and get free shipping as well as other perks.

I don’t love the fact that Amazon pays nothing in taxes. That its owner is a multi-billionaire (do people even realize how much a billion dollars is?) who treats workers like robots, paying minimum wage or slightly better. After some pressure they are now apparently paying $15/hour which is still starvation wages. Some employees sleep in cars because they cannot afford rent. I hate that employees work hard to make Amazon all of the things I love but the owner gets all of the benefit of that leaving the employee stressed out, burnt out and ‘easily replaceable’.

So in this case, for me, the Love/Hate for Amazon is somewhere in the middle. It’s up to me as a consumer to put pressure on them however I can to let them know that while I love what they provide me, I am not at all okay with how they provide it.

FYI We (the HW Team) are discussing whether we want to limit the scope of this thread because we simply do not have the resources to moderate discussion topics that can become heated. While we gather here primarily for 3D, there is a whole lot more that connects us than what we create in 3D. The conversations, friendships and expressions of support that develop from forum topics like this are proof that we help each other by sharing. We are in the midst of an unprecedented moment in our lifetime. How we go forward from here is going to depend on all of us paying attention and doing our part to create the world we want to live in. We are all in this together, after all.

McGyver

Energetic
I’m in the minority... in the case of Amazon... it’s a Hate/Hate relationship... but mostly hate.
We have Prime, but I assure you I had nothing to do with it... not crazy of its power and influence, not crazy about its treatment of its workers and the whole private contractor thing with delivery, not crazy about their store or search engine and finally their prices... which generally suck... if it’s $10 in a brick and mortar store, then it’s $15 or more on prime, and most of the time at least for me and the stuff I’d buy, Prime doesn’t matter in shipping a regular vendor will charge $15 total with shipping and Prime is the same... and half the time the prime package is late with no compensation or excus.
On a happier note...
I do like the river with the same name... especially since it has piranhas and crocodiles.

McGyver

Energetic
I’ve been keeping busy...
0D696EE1-E3F8-4B3C-A2FF-3A64F4B917D1.jpeg

I’m not going stir crazy... Really...

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
FYI We (the HW Team) are discussing whether we want to limit the scope of this thread because we simply do not have the resources to moderate discussion topics that can become heated. While we gather here primarily for 3D, there is a whole lot more that connects us than what we create in 3D. The conversations, friendships and expressions of support that develop from forum topics like this are proof that we help each other by sharing. We are in the midst of an unprecedented moment in our lifetime. How we go forward from here is going to depend on all of us paying attention and doing our part to create the world we want to live in. We are all in this together, after all.

I could definitely see limiting the conversation to updates locally and personally. I've already argued with someone about whether it's faked, a government conspiracy etc. Oh and where it came from. Those things don't matter! It's here. People are dying - lots of people. People are sick. The other things just don't matter! How we deal with it and come out of it, those matter.

Oh and here's a great explanation for its origins ;)

covid cat.png

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
All Pennsylvania residents have now been advised to wear cloth masks when out in public to protect those we come in contact with. However, I intend to stay in until they drag me out of my apartment! Well, I do need to pick up packages and get my mail, but that doesn't involve me leaving the building. But like I mentioned, I worry about someone getting on the elevator I'm on rather than waiting for the next.

I completed the 2020 census online, which I was able to do without the number from the form. It just took a few extra steps to go through the process of confirming my address. I did have a problem when I got to the Race question. While I often self identify as Italian, I primarily self identify as a member of the human race, so I truly was tempted to check Other and enter Human in the description box. After all, the question wasn't what is your genetic/ethnic background, but what do you identify as.

I'm almost ashamed to mention I haven't picked up my mail in about 2 months. Our mail is usually delivered about the time I get home though, and we're not able to collect it until the mail carrier is done filling the boxes.

Online shopping is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I have shopped online for groceries for years. I'm not paranoid, but the last place I want to be is in a store with other people. Especially, with people like the one Alisa encountered who thought nothing of exposing her to whatever he may be infected with.

Janet, I read today too about Washington. I'm glad to see their efforts are starting to work. Maybe it will help people to see the attempts to slow the infection rate can work if people cooperate.

Lisa, I'm not crazy about any corporation being able to avoid paying corporate tax by reinvesting the profits into their operations. I understand the thinking ... that if a corporation has to pay corporate tax they might not reinvest their profits into their company. But to be able to avoid all corporate tax? Of course, it's not just Amazon. It's all the large corporations that do this. Levi Strauss, Aramark, Whirlpool, Prudential Financial, Eli Lilly, Goodyear Tire & Rubber, FedEx, Chevron, Delta, Netflix, GM, Nvidia, Starbucks, and Hartford are just a few of those corporations that are able to avoid paying taxes like Amazon. Then too ... how many of us can name the CEO/Owner of those corporations? Or know how much they are worth?

McGyver, before ordering from Amazon, I check the prices against what I would pay through my grocer or another store. In almost all cases, it costs me less to buy from Amazon. When it costs more, I order from my grocer. What I dislike is how many unknown/strange name companies have swamped Amazon. When you see the identical product being sold by multiple "brand names" you've never heard of (and often cannot pronounce), and the description is filled with misspellings or poor grammar, you have to wonder whether it's a legitimate company or if these are knockoff products. (Love your Acorn army!)

On another note. It's FRIDAY! I have two days in which I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, and I don't have to look at a clock or live by an alarm. I am Dancing! Perhaps though ... not quite as carefree as Jack Black.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Not me Kage. People have been interviewed in the parks and on the streets in Philadelphia who believe coronavirus is a hoax. Consequently, they have no intention of staying home or taking any precautions to protect themselves or those they encounter from the virus.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I think after this crisis the world will change. People will value more what they have , will keep a stronger connection to their family members ,at last I hope so.
Value more little things, instead who travels more far away, who make the most dangerous selfies, who wear the newest instyle fashion.
I think people will take more time for them self's, family members.
Just the last day I talked to my neighbor. She is a single mama,with two sons. Both students. She was telling that she can not remember when she had the last time so much fun with her sons. They are enjoying the sun together in the garden, playing games with their dogs, making on the terrace together raclette. She told me, even when this is over, they promise each other to keep this habit at last 1-2 times per week in the future.
My husband, in the past he call his mama 1-2 times per month. Now everyday , he realize that to have her is not granted.
Me for my self, I bury out some software which I own since long, but somehow I never used. Currently I learn MD. It was a must have software, which settle for dust way to long. Take time for my self, which I enjoy in any aspect :)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I think after this crisis the world will change. People will value more what they have , will keep a stronger connection to their family members ,at last I hope so.
Value more little things, instead who travels more far away, who make the most dangerous selfies, who wear the newest instyle fashion.
I think people will take more time for them self's, family members.
Just the last day I talked to my neighbor. She is a single mama,with two sons. Both students. She was telling that she can not remember when she had the last time so much fun with her sons. They are enjoying the sun together in the garden, playing games with their dogs, making on the terrace together raclette. She told me, even when this is over, they promise each other to keep this habit at last 1-2 times per week in the future.
My husband, in the past he call his mama 1-2 times per month. Now everyday , he realize that to have her is not granted.
Me for my self, I bury out some software which I own since long, but somehow I never used. Currently I learn MD. It was a must have software, which settle for dust way to long. Take time for my self, which I enjoy in any aspect :)

I was thinking that today, this shows us how precious and fragile life is.

I also keep thinking of my parents who were both Depression Era kids. We wasted Nothing in our house and they both had this weird acceptance of everyday things that they could have changed and a fair bit of pessimism about everything that I never understood until now.