• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Freebies by Catherine3678a

Pondering topics for tutorials ...

My weapons of choice or happenstance tend to be Daz Studio 4.6 and the matching Hexagon 2.x; sometimes a little 3DCoat and/or Sculptris.
I am not a pro however I have had positive feedback over the years from both pros and newbies so if time permits and the power stays on I'm quite willing to continue making them.

For uvmapping: that is one area that Hexagon is weak on YET it also has some abilities which the newer programs lack, so is still worth hanging on to esp. for working with content creation in D/S. If one does have a complex item to map and does not mind "sewing" [if it matters] there is a DELIGHTFUL program which is FREE. It is called Sculptris. For everybody who has been losing hair uvmapping, get this. ONE CLICK and you have a flat map, in a bunch of islands ;-) Make the .obj in any modeler you want but put NO uvmap on it, no materials. Import that into a new scene in Sculptris and go to "Paint". It will ask about making the uvmap, YES. Wait ... :) Export out the new .obj file. Import that into Hexagon and rearrange or sew as desired. Zee rules for "sewing" in Hexagon are LINES ONLY and both must be in the SAME "shading domain". So keep all in the same Shading Domain until the work is done, then remake the Shading Domains as required. Depending upon the .obj and "which way the wind is blowing", uvmaps created in other programs [so far not an issue from Sculptris] are not joined. Under Tools > Utilities ... there is an option to merge stuff on the uvmaps, use it. Then the corner dots are "one" and not pulling apart the squares.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Catherine, are you known by another name on the daz forums? I think I remember some of your tutorials on hex but I'm not sure if it was you?

Yup ... a lady with many names lol ... let's see now, Boudicca36; Patience55, Patience55anotherone, Catherine3678a and possibly a few others ;-)

I still enjoy using those furry shaders you made a time ago.

Okay ... up for grabs is a long shirt, casual kind, for Dusk in D/S. If anybody knows how to get it into Poser, then you can use it there too I should think.
Non-commercial use only.

Shirt 001 for Dusk.jpg
Product Page

Feel free to drop a note if there is any problem with it; I no longer have programs on my laptop to do separate testings for things like missing files.

The next tutorial is in the Editing Basket ... but the additional uv set for the above shirt has been released.
The tutorial shows how to make an additional uvset for things in D/S. One does require a modeler as well.

Okay :) Hopefully I caught most of the typos ;-)

Making Additional UV sets in Daz Studio

In the tutorial I am using D/S4.6, Hexagon 2.x, and 3D Coat [older edition].

Hexagon cannot change only part of a uv map, 3D Coat can. We do not have to change only part of a uv map for this shirt but it is a very handy feature to know about esp. if wanting to work on very complex uvmaps such as a humanoid figure might have. I have been told that Blender can do this too.
Last I checked, there is a free trial period for 3D Coat {and the hobby license for non-commercial use is reasonable}.

As with morphing, changes cannot be made that affect the count of the .obj in order for the new uvmap to take.

I know the feeling ;-) Never enough days in the hour lol ...

I noticed some queries about rigging geografts so I have re-uploaded my tutorial on the matter. I took a shortcut in making the extra legs from the mesh of the horse, which is fine for one's OWN work. For those seeking to redistribute anything, remember that for geograft items, ONLY THE LOOP may used, NOTHING ELSE. The rest of the legs, horns, wings, whatever, has to be your own work.
In the work-flow, one does end up with a weight-mapped figure however to get there, there's another handy short-cut in D/S that is called "legacy" rigging. I use that. If you are already a weight-mapping expert, you may wish to adjust your work-flow accordingly.

GeoGrafting Rigged Mesh [we make a 6 legged horse]

Geo-Grafting Cover.png

You're quite welcome.

While some become outdated, I do tend to "clear uploads" now for a few reasons so it's a good idea to download them when available. I do have most of my stuff backed up too so some I can re-up from time to time - or remake ;-)

Okay :)

Somewhere ... somebody was asking about spheres that can be blown apart ... [gee, and after all the work we do to put them together, gee] so okay I did a little testing with Hexagon and yes it is possible to make a sphere that can be ripped asunder [poor sphere] ... and have posted a little video.
Does anybody want such a D/S prop [it starts as a sphere which one can then make morphs for] and/or would there be any interest in how to make something one can demolish?

Okay. I do have on the burner some ideas for a morphing tutorial using D/S, Hexagon and Sculptris ... what would we like morph?

For those who want the Blow Apart Sphere I did upload it. While it is a D/S prop file; I did include the .obj for possible use in other programs.
Blow Apart Sphere