• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Earl's WIPs

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, as I've currently envisioning it, this is the basic layout of my Supermarket. Of course things may change. Produce area not shown.

1586997271774.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes don't save it!
Or save the scene to a slightly different name, such as adding a number at the end of the scene name. Then you won't ruin the original scene file you've been working on, if you happen to accidentally save it. I'm so used to saving often, I wouldn't want to take any chances.

eclark1894

Visionary
As I look at this, it looks like this will be a massive set and project. As I've already said, I plan to conserve polys wherever I can, but in the final run loading this entire set could give Poser a massive coronary. So I think I'll design it to load in sections, so unless you want to choke your computer, you never have to load the whole set. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Absolutely Earl. Not everyone's going to want to load the whole store, because that'll put the camera far away from any of the different sections of the store. It'll be nice for folks to be able to choose which section they want to render.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Nice, though the bottles look like their suspended in air, so add some coloring to the shelves, unless that's just because of the straight head-on view.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, just rendered another viewpoint of the Supermarket looking at the Dairy cases. Sorry it's so grainy. Fixed the milk on the shelves in the case. But I didn't think about this when I made them, but I know where I'm going to be cutting some of the polys in this set. The backs and bottoms of most items in the cases will never be seen, so they can go. Same thing for some of the items in the freezer display.

1587078467303.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very true, as the only time you would need the backs, or bottoms, would be on the checkout counter, or in the shopping cart.

eclark1894

Visionary
I just did a little preliminary work. But I think this may work. Like I said, I deleted the backs and the bottoms of the cartons. But then I thought well, I'll be stacking them pretty much like I did the cereal boxes, so you'll only ever see the fronts and one side of the cartons. Everything else except the tops can go bye bye. What do you think? This is one object. It's got about a 1000 faces on it, and I think I can cut that down some more.

1587092225909.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Not bad at all Earl. Just make sure the end containers fit next to the 2nd and 3rd containers, because in this render, the tops of the 2nd and 3rd containers are closer to each other than the end containers are to the 2nd and 3rd containers.

Of course, at a distance that won't be so obvious.

eclark1894

Visionary
Not bad at all Earl. Just make sure the end containers fit next to the 2nd and 3rd containers, because in this render, the tops of the 2nd and 3rd containers are closer to each other than the end containers are to the 2nd and 3rd containers.

Of course, at a distance that won't be so obvious.
They're actually not joined at the second and third cartons. I'm going to be adding a few more "cartons" to the row. But it's nice to know this idea could work. I have to try it out on some bottles and jugs next. A good variety of package shapes will give the products more realism.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Very true, as the only time you would need the backs, or bottoms, would be on the checkout counter, or in the shopping cart.
It might be nice to have a complete object to use at the checkout or cart for those who are doing a story?

eclark1894

Visionary
It might be nice to have a complete object to use at the checkout or cart for those who are doing a story?
I already have several complete products items to go with this set and I plan to do more. In fact, there's a checkout counter in the scene with several products already loaded into the scene. If you go back to page 5 of this thread, you should see them.

1587125548285.png

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Is this for use in Poser? I'm not clear on what you're modeling. Are you modeling a shelf full of products to load in Poser in addition to modeling a single product? Why not use the single product to create a preload group in Poser for the shelf full of products?

If I understand the discussion in Instantiation Via (Poser) Geometry Swapping ?, creating a group (shelf full of products) in Poser by duplicating a single object, or loading the same object multiple times, would be more efficient than if you loaded an object that had been modeled as a shelf full of products. Individual objects in a Poser group would also allow one to adjust each object to appear as though customers had moved products or picked over the shelf and not moved products back in their original "pristine" stocked positions.

At least, when I look at the shelves in CVS, it's pretty clear customers have moved products out of position, and or put a product back on the shelf in the wrong group of products (like ... putting a tube of Crest toothpaste with tubes of Colgate toothpaste or putting that tube of Crest toothpaste on a shelf with vitamins.)

eclark1894

Visionary
Is this for use in Poser? I'm not clear on what you're modeling. Are you modeling a shelf full of products to load in Poser in addition to modeling a single product? Why not use the single product to create a preload group in Poser for the shelf full of products?
Yes, this is for Poser. No, I can't just duplicate one product over and over again. A full product would be heavier in polygons and I'm trying to cut back on that so that it doesn't slow Poser down to a crawl.

eclark1894

Visionary
I've had an interesting day, but didn't do or accomplish much. Was expecting someone to come early this morning nd take a look at my roof. That didn't happen until late afternoon. Ended up watching tv for most of the day while I waited. Watched Phineas and Ferb and Moana on Disney Plus.

I finally did get SOME modeling in though. Had to model a Milk Jug for the Dairy case. It's kind of poly heavy for a jug. I can smooth it out, but not without increasing the number of polys. I may make one or two individual props for this. MAYBE five for the case, or I may just have to let it go.

1587165507223.png