• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Did I miss a memo or something?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
So Lyne, are you asking for help understanding Poser's material room?

heavens NO... LOL! I love my Poser 2014 material room, thanks. :) I don't HAVE poser 11, and do NOT intend to buy it.... I feel 2014 will do me the rest of my life. :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I agree with this completely. I'm very similar with DS, my brain just doesn't like it, but I don't think it's bad software because of that. It's just not enjoyable for me to work in.

me too!! I WISH I could use DS....some really drop dead gorgeous art comes out of it.... I just can't wrap my neurons around it...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That would be wonderful. Even when you find an content creator you know, who you know makes good quality stuff, everything looks so bad over there, that I'm always scared to buy (also they don't give very good descriptions of stuff). When I was new to 3D and would buy stuff based on pretty pictures alone, but now I always drill down into the details of what a product is before I buy it, to make sure that it really is the thing I think it is.
I agree, but my biggest complaint was when they decided to charge if you wanted unlimited downloads. None of the other stores ever did anything like that. My second biggest complaint was the visual design of the store. It's really very, very unappealing. New store software presenting a nice site, and the disbanding of that fee for unlimited downloads of purchases, would be a huge step forward in making CP a desirable marketplace in my book.

As far as individual products, QA is most definitely needed, but in a lot of cases products need more appealing promos. Years ago I had a 1 year subscription at Poser World, and I hesitated to get it, mostly because I didn't "see" anything all that great. I went ahead and got the subscription because a friend said the quality is better than the promos but, honestly, the promos are what catch my eye in the first place, and right now they're not doing that.

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
I agree, but my biggest complaint was when they decided to charge if you wanted unlimited downloads. None of the other stores ever did anything like that. My second biggest complaint was the visual design of the store. It's really very, very unappealing. New store software presenting a nice site, and the disbanding of that fee for unlimited downloads of purchases, would be a huge step forward in making CP a desirable marketplace in my book.

As far as individual products, QA is most definitely needed, but in a lot of cases products need more appealing promos. Years ago I had a 1 year subscription at Poser World, and I hesitated to get it, mostly because I didn't "see" anything all that great. I went ahead and got the subscription because a friend said the quality is better than the promos but, honestly, the promos are what catch my eye in the first place, and right now they're not doing that.

I agree with those comments in their entirety. While the problem with low quality promos is store wide at CP buy it is sometimes and issue elsewhere and you are correct it does make you reluctant to buy. Years ago I had a product in my wishlist at another marketplace but it languished in my wishlist because the promos did not do it justice. When I did finally buy it it was great but it did leave me wondering just how many potential sales the vendor lost due to the poor promos.

The promos here at Hivewire vary, as you would expect, but are generally of a high standard so it should not be difficult for SM to improve CP if they really wanted to. It would also send out a message that the are committed to Poser, after all, actions speak louder than words.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I agree with those comments in their entirety. While the problem with low quality promos is store wide at CP buy it is sometimes and issue elsewhere and you are correct it does make you reluctant to buy. Years ago I had a product in my wishlist at another marketplace but it languished in my wishlist because the promos did not do it justice. When I did finally buy it it was great but it did leave me wondering just how many potential sales the vendor lost due to the poor promos.
I've stated more than once, that I wind up buying something ONLY after another vendor comes up with a great texture set addon for the product(s). It's sad to say, but the extra textures sold the product(s) for me.

It would also send out a message that the are committed to Poser, after all, actions speak louder than words.
Couldn't agree more.

Hornet3d

Wise
I've stated more than once, that I wind up buying something ONLY after another vendor comes up with a great texture set addon for the product(s). It's sad to say, but the extra textures sold the product(s) for me.

Couldn't agree more.

In some case I buy something, particularly if it is on sale, almost despite the promos with the intention I will change the textures or modify the model only to find it is not as bad as the promos suggest.

Robynsveil

Admirable
Been a while since I even looked at Poser or even Blender: been learning Angular 2 in order to create a roster solution for work, so that and gardening has sort-of taken all my time and energy. Had a read at 'Rosity and now here of the developments at SM. It is a bit sad, as I did use PP2014 together with Blender for stills and did want to see Poser finally do something with that lingering eternity of a cloth room, which was the main reason I still opened Poser at all.

But, oh well. Some artists haven't upgraded to Poser 11, I tend think that Poser (for any user, no matter which version) doesn't fade away simply because things change at a corporate level. The Poser mindset has always been about creating, finding clever solutions, thinking outside the box. There are some incredibly clever artists using Poser.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
It is a bit sad, as I did use PP2014 together with Blender for stills and did want to see Poser finally do something with that lingering eternity of a cloth room, which was the main reason I still opened Poser at all.

I just have to ask, what is it you wish Poser would do with the Cloth Room? I mean, I know it's far from perfect, but I'm just curious what sort of improvements you'd like to see. In Poser 11 there was one point where it wasn't working for me at all, but after an update fixed that, I feel like it runs better and faster than it did in Poser 2014 (possibly because the changed the file type that your cloth sims save as).

eclark1894

Visionary
I just have to ask, what is it you wish Poser would do with the Cloth Room? I mean, I know it's far from perfect, but I'm just curious what sort of improvements you'd like to see. In Poser 11 there was one point where it wasn't working for me at all, but after an update fixed that, I feel like it runs better and faster than it did in Poser 2014 (possibly because the changed the file type that your cloth sims save as).
I keep asking people this, but no one gets specific. Truth is, for what it's mainly supposed to do, drape cloth, it works pretty damn good. Adding some pre-sets and making it quicker would probably give most users an orgasm.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'd like to see more control over how cloth is being draped. I wish we could pause a simulation, grab a bit of the fabric and pin it or move it, then unpause the simulation. It was one of several things I absolutely loved about MD2 simulations.

English Bob

Adventurous
I just have to ask, what is it you wish Poser would do with the Cloth Room?

Apart from a non-specific feeling that it should work better, I'd like to be able to do things like shrinking a belt around loose clothing to clasp it to the figure. This has been incrementally improved over time, but the increments have been too small. It's time for excremental improvement! :D

I'd like to see more control over how cloth is being draped. I wish we could pause a simulation, grab a bit of the fabric and pin it or move it, then unpause the simulation.

Also, I'd like that. :)

Overall, though, I'd like a more unified approach. Instead of separate cloth, hair, physics, morph tools, weight mapping etc. it would be nice to have one basic simulation which can be configured to simulate all of those things, and more. If a figure bumps into the furniture, I want to see their skin being depressed, and their clothing correctly caught between the two surfaces instead of popping out in some random direction. When they sit down, I want to see the chair cushion squishing. This implies that figures and props would be able to have their physical characteristics defined across their surfaces.

It's a big want, and it won't happen soon, but the technology is there to allow the home user to do these sort of things.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I'd like to see more control over how cloth is being draped. I wish we could pause a simulation, grab a bit of the fabric and pin it or move it, then unpause the simulation. It was one of several things I absolutely loved about MD2 simulations.

I know exactly what you mean, as I use MD and that is a great feature. I will say it's not impossible to do something like that in Posers cloth room, it's just not easy, and I've never mastered it. You can do it using choreographed groups and invisible props. I remember reading how to do it long ago in Esha's Cloth Room Master Class tutorial. She uses it to show how to make a simple cloth plane act like a curtain hanging from curtain rings.

Apart from a non-specific feeling that it should work better, I'd like to be able to do things like shrinking a belt around loose clothing to clasp it to the figure. This has been incrementally improved over time, but the increments have been too small. It's time for excremental improvement! :D

Depending on how the clothing items are setup, you can do this. It would be easiest with a belt that is a separate item. Basically you could scale the belt large on frame 1, and then have it the right fit near the end of the simulation.