• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Did I miss a memo or something?

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I'm bad for glancing over a thread and just looking at the pictures, I did read several post in the thread but not all of them, I'll try and do that later.
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread but Walmart has Poser on sale.
Poser Pro 11 $150.89
and
Poser 11 $83.92
I think those are great prices right?
I hate to see anyone loose their job, I hope they bring back the Poser team and continue the software development.
Art_of_Mind will be getting Poser next and supporting Poser, along with DS.

eclark1894

Visionary
I didn't even know Walmart sold Poser. I wouldn't worry too much about the Poser Devs or SM. In fact, I believe some of the dev team signed up to help out on Blender. Assuming I didn't misunderstand what I heard.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Now that would be interesting Earl. I've heard that some of the Maya dev team is working with the Blender team, as the next version of Blender's UI will be more like Maya's UI.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'm bad for glancing over a thread and just looking at the pictures, I did read several post in the thread but not all of them, I'll try and do that later.
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread but Walmart has Poser on sale.
Poser Pro 11 $150.89
and
Poser 11 $83.92
I think those are great prices right?
I hate to see anyone loose their job, I hope they bring back the Poser team and continue the software development.
Art_of_Mind will be getting Poser next and supporting Poser, along with DS.

Poser Pro 11 Upgrade was under $50.00 at Renderosity last month.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
They've been having sales regularly the past few months. I've seen Poser sold at Amazon, but I've never known Walmart to sell software.

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have not seen any FIREFLY renders OUT OF P11.... that would be interesting to see. :)
All the "Kitty for Dawn" tests I've done in my WIP and beta request threads are Poser 11 Firefly renders :) (may not be as good as others since I don't know my way around it yet)

eclark1894

Visionary
Actually me too= I still have Poser 9 installed... and of course I'm GLAD they didn't delete firefly from P11 ..... I do see the reason for that naming convention... Poser 10 was actually next after 9, but Poser 2014's biggest draw was it was the FIRST to finally have 64 bit coding, allowing Poser to USE all the ram one wanted... and then came Poser 11... so that all makes sense to me. :)

I have not seen any FIREFLY renders OUT OF P11.... that would be interesting to see. :)
Technically, you have. Don't forget that Superfly is actually a hybrid renderer. You should be able to render a FireFly pic in Superfly without much difficulty.

Me195

Extraordinary
Well this thread ruined my day. Mostly because I'm a pianist...wait no I mean pessimist. Fortunately it also made my day great because I found out that eclark1894 is doing better, and it reminded me that "Kitty for Dawn" is coming.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm an optimist on the basis that, if I wasn't, life and the world might turn out to be actually worse than I think it is.

Me195

Extraordinary
I'm an optimist on the basis that, if I wasn't, life and the world might turn out to be actually worse than I think it is.

Good point it most certainly would. I was kidding about the pessimist thing. I am an optimist most of the time. The truth is there is still a ton of untapped potential in both firefly and superfly. There's no real reason for Poser to disappear even if poser ends up on corporate hands AKA the worst hands. As long as Hivewire3d still supports Poser I will be happy even if there is no new version of poser after 11 pro.

Hornet3d

Wise
Good point it most certainly would. I was kidding about the pessimist thing. I am an optimist most of the time. The truth is there is still a ton of untapped potential in both firefly and superfly. There's no real reason for Poser to disappear even if poser ends up on corporate hands AKA the worst hands. As long as Hivewire3d still supports Poser I will be happy even if there is no new version of poser after 11 pro.

I already understood from other posts that you were not a pessimist and you make a good point in that Poser has many years left in it as far as users are concerned. Even if the worst should happen and support finally dried up, there would still be users working with Poser and making their own content. A large number of Poser users already create much of their own content and I think this is something that has always been the case in respect of Poser.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well this thread ruined my day. Mostly because I'm a pianist...wait no I mean pessimist. Fortunately it also made my day great because I found out that eclark1894 is doing better, and it reminded me that "Kitty for Dawn" is coming.
Had a slight relapse today, I'm afraid. I even took the day off from work. Which I almost never do.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Just ran into this thread. So much happening. Or you know, maybe not much happening yet, but much speculation on what's happening.

I'm with most of you here. I'm on PP2014, and if there is never a new Poser, it will sadden me of course, but I'll live. I've been considering learning Blender as so many of you have, and incorporate it into my workflow, but recently I decided to check out the Unreal Engine instead. Although primarily a game engine, you can make some pretty darn good 2D art out of it too! Haven't tried exporting any poser models or figures to it yet, but it should be doable I think. Poser will not be dead for me in many years still!

Hmm, that's an interesting thought on Unreal Engine. I've never used it, but I do use Unity3D, which is the same sort of thing, and I probably could use it to do renders. Never really thought of that.

Interesting... most of you may not like MY opinion...

I love your opinion! I don't agree with it ;) but I love that you shared it with us. Actually your thoughts on the material room being unusable are interesting to me, because before P11 I was just too scared to venture into the material room for more than a second or two. But when Superfly came out, I found that I could use a lot of my favorite skin textures in it, so as I learned how to 'fix' these to work in SF, I learned a lot about how the material room worked, and although there's a thousand things I don't know or understand about it, at least I'm not afraid anymore.

Horses for courses, Poser 11 gave users the choice to buy or upgrade to the latest and greatest and others, like me, to stay at 2014 or whatever version they were using. Nothing wrong with choice and I hope it continues for a while yet.

Hmm, that's an interesting point in another way. I know there are people here that have managed to install multiple versions of DS, but my understanding is that it's not easy to do (or at least you have to be very careful in every step). I have both 2014 on my computer and P11. I can move back and forth between them whenever I like, which I think is actually pretty cool. I prefer P11 but it's nice to be able to move between both versions.

Now that would be interesting Earl. I've heard that some of the Maya dev team is working with the Blender team, as the next version of Blender's UI will be more like Maya's UI.

That would be interesting. I will say Maya is mostly much more intuitive that Blender (at least to me). The trickiest thing about Maya, is that because its so expensive, there are far fewer tutorials and tips out there than there are for Blender. So if you don't know how to do something it's really hard to find the answer. For instance, I've never figured out how to use Maya's UV capabilities at all.

But hopefully there will be eventually new versions of Poser. Of course, I don't need a new version right now, I'm happy with P11, although of course there are always things that could be added. The main thing I hope doesn't happen is that Cycles continues to get better and better development, and these improvements never get integrated into Poser. That would be especially sad.

Hornet3d

Wise
Just ran into this thread. So much happening. Or you know, maybe not much happening yet, but much speculation on what's happening.

But hopefully there will be eventually new versions of Poser. Of course, I don't need a new version right now, I'm happy with P11, although of course there are always things that could be added. The main thing I hope doesn't happen is that Cycles continues to get better and better development, and these improvements never get integrated into Poser. That would be especially sad.

I don't think whatever happens with Poser it will have an immediate issue with any of us users, in the main I suspect they are happy with the version they have or are restricted to the version they can afford. In the longer term you have hit the nail on the head, it is that it may get left behind. I don't have Poser 11 so I don't use Superfly but I do care about what happens to Poser and it's users. It would indeed be a shame if Cycles continued to improve and Superfly stood still and I would feel genuinely sorry for those that have had a glimpse of what is capable in Poser but not given the chance to expand with it.

Of course it could well be that, as Earl has said, there is nothing to worry about but when there are changes and people lose their job you do care about them and also wonder about the future of something you have lived with for many years. It is like having a favorite tool in your workshop and then fear that parts like blades will not be available for it in the future (even though you may have never purchased a blade for it). Can you work without it, of course you can, it is just ........ well you would rather not have to.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
@Gadget Girl that is interesting... this tells me that using the material room set up is more like a 'brain thing'... ie: my brain just can't grasp the DS interface, while the poser interface is simple for me... the same with the 'old' material room- I'm very comfortable in it, find my way around it easily so I can make tweaks to skins and other materials for surfaces, etc. When I saw the material room (or what it did when it was FOR superfly/P11 in my Poser 2014) or in screen shots of the new software, it sent me running for home....

Really it's whatever works... everyone's mind works/processes information a bit differently. :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Technically, you have. Don't forget that Superfly is actually a hybrid renderer. You should be able to render a FireFly pic in Superfly without much difficulty.

yes... I don't HAVE P11... and just said I've never seen anyone DO a firefly render OUT OF P11 .... never saw a "P11-Firefly render" posted.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I prefer to observe these days rather than indulge in speculation so this is my first and last post on the subject:

Posted on the SmithMicro Poser forum a few moments ago:-

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself to the product community. My name is Rafael Torres and I have recently joined Smith Micro as the new product manager for the Graphics Division. As I’m sure many of you are aware, Smith Micro has made considerable changes to its Graphics business in recent months. While change is always hard, it also presents opportunities for us to improve the products and add innovative, new functionalities. I want to personally assure you that Smith Micro is fully committed to its Graphics business and the continued improvement of widely popular titles such as Poser and Moho to meet your needs and expectations.
We will keep you posted as product development continues throughout the year. Feel free to reach out to me and the rest of the Graphics Team with product suggestions for Poser (info.poser@smithmicro.com).

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I prefer to observe these days rather than indulge in speculation so this is my first and last post on the subject:

Posted on the SmithMicro Poser forum a few moments ago:-

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself to the product community. My name is Rafael Torres and I have recently joined Smith Micro as the new product manager for the Graphics Division. As I’m sure many of you are aware, Smith Micro has made considerable changes to its Graphics business in recent months. While change is always hard, it also presents opportunities for us to improve the products and add innovative, new functionalities. I want to personally assure you that Smith Micro is fully committed to its Graphics business and the continued improvement of widely popular titles such as Poser and Moho to meet your needs and expectations.
We will keep you posted as product development continues throughout the year. Feel free to reach out to me and the rest of the Graphics Team with product suggestions for Poser (info.poser@smithmicro.com).

Yeah, encouraging. Now, hopefully, we will see some changes on the horizon and the DAZ gang that's over on Renderosity dancing on Poser's grave can just shut the heck up.

I do wish we would hear from Chuck (Nerd3D) though. I worry about him and would hate to see his talents go missing from our community.