• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Did I miss a memo or something?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
yes... I don't HAVE P11... and just said I've never seen anyone DO a firefly render OUT OF P11 .... never saw a "P11-Firefly render" posted.

ALL of my product imagery over the last several months that show Poser/non DS renders are either Superfly or Firefly (as marked) BUT all were rendered in P11 as it's a LOT faster than my P10. I LOVE that one can use the material room in so many different ways now, including still being able to use it the "old way". I am SO glad they kept Firefly in p11 too and as a content creator, I actually find the P11 material room MUCH easier to use than previous versions. I LOVE all the new material/shader options but I also love knowing I can experiment as I find time/ I don't have to crash-learn all the new possibilities P11 has right away. As an artist I will be continuing to use Poser myself for my own work (both FF sand SF as yes they can have "different" looks and one lends itself better than another for a given artwork) and plan to keep providing Poser materials as long it as it makes sense for me to do so, regardless what happens with Poser itself in the future.

Hornet3d

Wise
I prefer to observe these days rather than indulge in speculation so this is my first and last post on the subject:

Posted on the SmithMicro Poser forum a few moments ago:-

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself to the product community. My name is Rafael Torres and I have recently joined Smith Micro as the new product manager for the Graphics Division. As I’m sure many of you are aware, Smith Micro has made considerable changes to its Graphics business in recent months. While change is always hard, it also presents opportunities for us to improve the products and add innovative, new functionalities. I want to personally assure you that Smith Micro is fully committed to its Graphics business and the continued improvement of widely popular titles such as Poser and Moho to meet your needs and expectations.
We will keep you posted as product development continues throughout the year. Feel free to reach out to me and the rest of the Graphics Team with product suggestions for Poser (info.poser@smithmicro.com).

Thanks you for the information, very encouraging.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yeah, encouraging. Now, hopefully, we will see some changes on the horizon and the DAZ gang that's over on Renderosity dancing on Poser's grave can just shut the heck up.

I do wish we would hear from Chuck (Nerd3D) though. I worry about him and would hate to see his talents go missing from our community.

I agree very encouraging but I doubt it will have any effect on the Daz gang many who have been dancing on Poser's grave since before I started, and that was with Poser 5.

I have similar concerns with Nerd3d and the rest of the team for that matter, while some of us worry about the future of Poser they have lost their livelihood. It is already a loss to the community but I hope they find employment in the same field or have the time once they are employed to continue to have an input.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I agree very encouraging but I doubt it will have any effect on the Daz gang many who have been dancing on Poser's grave since before I started, and that was with Poser 5.

I have similar concerns with Nerd3d and the rest of the team for that matter, while some of us worry about the future of Poser they have lost their livelihood. It is already a loss to the community but I hope they find employment in the same field or have the time once they are employed to continue to have an input.

Yeah, but I knew it would start fresh and it did.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
... and just said I've never seen anyone DO a firefly render OUT OF P11 .... never saw a "P11-Firefly render" posted.
Actually you have Lyne. My "Ninja Sora" render was done in PoserPro 11 with the FireFly render engine. I've only recently started playing with the SuperFly render engine, simply because I want to learn how to do so, and my Dusk Special Edition "Strolling The Beach" render was my first successful render with PoserPro 11 SuperFly.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK folks, I have what seems like good news. I was just over at the SM Poser forum, and found a new thread started by a member of the Poser team.

Quote deleted, see link below for the full thread.

Hopefully this will help assuage any fears that Poser is being left by the wayside.

Edited to Add: I didn't include a link to the thread because I wasn't sure if anyone would be able to read it unless they were a member. Some forums are like that. In any case, it's been brought to my attention that non-members can read it, so here's the link to the original post by Rafael Torres:

Hi there! from the Poser Team

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And I got this on my FaceBook:

"Hi there! from Smith Micro's Poser Team

Rafael Torres recently joined the team as the new product manager for the Graphics Division. As many of you are aware, Smith Micro has made considerable changes to its Graphics business in recent months. While change is always hard, it also presents opportunities for us to improve the products and add innovative, new functionalities.

We want to assure you that Smith Micro is fully committed to its Graphics business and the continued improvement of Poser to meet your needs and expectations. We will keep you posted as product development continues throughout the year. Feel free to reach out us with questions or product suggestions for Poser at info.poser@smithmicro.com."

Hornet3d

Wise
OK folks, I have what seems like good news. I was just over at the SM Poser forum, and found a new thread started by a member of the Poser team.

Quote redeleted, see link below for the full thread.

Hopefully this will help assuage any fears that Poser is being left by the wayside.

Edited to Add: I didn't include a link to the thread because I wasn't sure if anyone would be able to read it unless they were a member. Some forums are like that. In any case, it's been brought to my attention that non-members can read it, so here's the link to the original post by Rafael Torres:

Hi there! from the Poser Team

Thanks for adding the link, it is of definite interest. Also pleased to see that they may actually be doing something with Content Paradise as well, long over due. It won't compete with Hivewire in my case as I will still buy everything that takes my fancy from here but I do have some spare hobby cash some months but there is nothing I want here and nothing of decent enough quality anywhere else.

eclark1894

Visionary
At this moment, while I am glad to see SM popping it's head up (in response to this thread or other reasons), I am glad to hear them respond.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks for adding the link, it is of definite interest. Also pleased to see that they may actually be doing something with Content Paradise as well, long over due. It won't compete with Hivewire in my case as I will still buy everything that takes my fancy from here but I do have some spare hobby cash some months but there is nothing I want here and nothing of decent enough quality anywhere else.

Honestly, I think Poser users are long overdue for a Poser Only shop. It would be nice to have a store where I don't have to weed through gobs and gobs and gobs of stuff that doesn't work in my software.

Hornet3d

Wise
At this moment, while I am glad to see SM popping it's head up (in response to this thread or other reasons), I am glad to hear them respond.

I know they cannot give specifics at this point in time but it is nice to think we are not being kept in the dark, a good move on SM's part.

Hornet3d

Wise
Honestly, I think Poser users are long overdue for a Poser Only shop. It would be nice to have a store where I don't have to weed through gobs and gobs and gobs of stuff that doesn't work in my software.

My sentiments exactly, I know the age old argument that SM themselves are concentrating on the software and I do not have an issue with that. I do not expect them to make the content but it would be good if the vendors who have stayed loyal to Poser had a marketplace of their own that is easy to shop at.

eclark1894

Visionary
Maybe I don't see the need for one because we've already had it.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, I don't think CP has ever been exclusive to Poser, plus QA is just something they need anyway.

I accept that it need not be exclusively Poser but it would be much better if the Poser products were in the majority rather than such a small minority that finding anything useful is either time consuming or impossible. It is not as though it is impossible to do, I mean try looking for something for Dawn and Daz. Some sort of customer support would be a nice addition as well.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
this tells me that using the material room set up is more like a 'brain thing'... ie: my brain just can't grasp the DS interface, while the poser interface is simple for me... the same with the 'old' material room- I'm very comfortable in it, find my way around it easily so I can make tweaks to skins and other materials for surfaces, etc.

I agree with this completely. I'm very similar with DS, my brain just doesn't like it, but I don't think it's bad software because of that. It's just not enjoyable for me to work in.

Thanks for adding the link, it is of definite interest. Also pleased to see that they may actually be doing something with Content Paradise as well, long over due.

That would be wonderful. Even when you find an content creator you know, who you know makes good quality stuff, everything looks so bad over there, that I'm always scared to buy (also they don't give very good descriptions of stuff). When I was new to 3D and would buy stuff based on pretty pictures alone, but now I always drill down into the details of what a product is before I buy it, to make sure that it really is the thing I think it is.

eclark1894

Visionary
@Gadget Girl that is interesting... this tells me that using the material room set up is more like a 'brain thing'... ie: my brain just can't grasp the DS interface, while the poser interface is simple for me... the same with the 'old' material room- I'm very comfortable in it, find my way around it easily so I can make tweaks to skins and other materials for surfaces, etc. When I saw the material room (or what it did when it was FOR superfly/P11 in my Poser 2014) or in screen shots of the new software, it sent me running for home....

Really it's whatever works... everyone's mind works/processes information a bit differently. :)
So Lyne, are you asking for help understanding Poser's material room?