• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Did I miss a memo or something?

eclark1894

Visionary
I just read a brief note at the SM forum that has me wondering "What happened?" I knew that Teyon Alexander had lost his job, sadly although, I didn't know any details behind it. But today, I'm reading another thread and Nerd casually mentions that they had all been canned. Anybody got any info they can let me in on?

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
There was the post at the SM forum with the link to the brief for the investors. IIRC this was in the post about the marketing. No names there, but a lot of hints like "software department restructurisation" and so.

eclark1894

Visionary
There was the post at the SM forum with the link to the brief for the investors. IIRC this was in the post about the marketing. No names there, but a lot of hints like "software department restructurisation" and so.
Hmm, now that's not good news. I suppose, since I haven't heard anything really bad, that I should just ignore things. Otherwise, I have to get Dawn working in Blender.

3dOutlaw

Wait, what? That is pretty sad news. I stopped using it a while back, but less competition in the market is a bad thing. It always seemed to drive the market products forward. I didn't see a post over there, but one short one got deleted. (unless I am not privy to some forums).

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes, the entire Dev Team was laid off at SM when Teyon was. That's really all I know.

So the only thing for certain is change is happening, whatever it is it will take a while to discover if it is good or bad news in the long run.

I know it is a pet hate of mine but I can't help wondering how this will affect the 'phone home' deactivation in the latest issues.

eclark1894

Visionary
I have no intention of moving over to Daz Studio. I like Poser and will probably stay with it even if PP11 is the last version. Hopefully it's not. That said, I have started developing a distinct affinity for working in Blender. So I'm hoping Poser will move closer to Blender's work style.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have no intention of moving over to Daz Studio. I like Poser and will probably stay with it even if PP11 is the last version. Hopefully it's not. That said, I have started developing a distinct affinity for working in Blender. So I'm hoping Poser will move closer to Blender's work style.

I am very much in the same boat although I did not upgrade to Poser 11 and what happens now will probably be a major factor as to if I ever will. The SM statement relating the the restructuring implied there would be job losses and that they were going to concentrate on their locations other than in the US so it could be work will continue elsewhere but who can tell. Concentrating on the immediate, the only real fact that can be drawn is that development on Poser has stopped for the present and the longer term is uncertain. If there is another version to be released it will clearly be delayed as another team, inside or outside SM, will need to get up to speed. Even if Poser is purchased by someone else there is still doubt about how or if it will progress.

There are a lot of people still using version 7 and 8 of Poser so I should have a few years of play left the Game Dev version and if that fails to call home the drop back to Pro 2014 is not going to have any major impact for me. Moving to Daz is a non-starter for me for many reasons, I don't want to spend the time learning it and would prefer to spend any learning time with Blender. I don't like the 'lock in' with the present version and I have difficulty getting DS to work on my system. I accept that it is a quirk with my system and I should be able to get it to work but again it is more time. When Poser stops for me I will have to take a long look at the hobbies I have but hopefully that is at least a few years away yet.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, I played in DS from version 2 through version 4.0 with the advent of the original Genesis, so "IF" (and it's a big IF) I were to go back to using DS with the latest version, I don't think I'd have too much trouble adjusting to it.

That said, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to do so. I got back to using Poser with version 9 at the birth of Dawn, and since I was finally able to get my first Pro version with version 11, if this is going to be the last version of Poser, I'll stick with it until it literally stops working.

To my way of thinking, if it absolutely becomes necessary, and I'm still doing 3D artwork, I'll take the time to learn how to set up a whole scene for rendering in Blender. Up until now I've only done quick renders to check how my modeling projects are going, but Blender does do it all.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't really become an issue for a good number of years down the road.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Same for me. I'll stick with Poser and move to Blender if it becomes necessary, but I won't use DS. I can't. The DS display just does too much damage to my eyesight.

eclark1894

Visionary
What I'd really like to do is learn how to rig, move and pose Dusk and Dawn in Blender. If I could pose everything in Poser and then transfer everything to Blender, well, that'd be it then.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Well unless Poser added something more than it has already that I might need, I wouldn't be upgrading again anyway.
So if they sell to someone else or just discontinue it somewhere along the line I will keep using what I have.
And I will use DAZ Studio as I do crate for both.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well unless Poser added something more than it has already that I might need, I wouldn't be upgrading again anyway.
So if they sell to someone else or just discontinue it somewhere along the line I will keep using what I have.
And I will use DAZ Studio as I do crate for both.
Okay.

I'm wondering whether to bring this topic up on the forum. Generally, SM has all it's employees and testers sign NDAs, so anything they do know they're prohibited from disclosing to us.

Hornet3d

Wise
Okay.

I'm wondering whether to bring this topic up on the forum. Generally, SM has all it's employees and testers sign NDAs, so anything they do know they're prohibited from disclosing to us.

I guess you could but I doubt that it will actually add anything to the present situation for the reasons you have already given. Even if there are any plans they will all be subject to change, look at some of the comments Nerd3D about Poser's future when he first took over the SM job, I accept that they were all said in good faith and with the best intentions. He, like all of us, are all passengers on this journey and we will just have to make our own plans when the journey comes to an end or we jump off early when we take a dislike to where we think journey's end might be.

Willowisp

Adventurous
I'm with most of you here. I'm on PP2014, and if there is never a new Poser, it will sadden me of course, but I'll live. I've been considering learning Blender as so many of you have, and incorporate it into my workflow, but recently I decided to check out the Unreal Engine instead. Although primarily a game engine, you can make some pretty darn good 2D art out of it too! Haven't tried exporting any poser models or figures to it yet, but it should be doable I think. Poser will not be dead for me in many years still!