• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP Dawn S.E. Faces of the World Underway

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I researched Japanese facial features when I was working on a Japanese woman freebie, and as I recall, there tends to be a difference between northern and southern Japan. Strong nose bridges are apparently common in the north......

Yes that's the thing, regional differences. I did a brief class on male and female models and it was obvious that many facial and body variations occur in every country, and even within provinces or regions. I don't think it would be possible to make morphs for all of these many hundreds of variations, all one can do it provide base morphs and allow the end user to refine them to their tastes..

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Here's the Samoan Face I've been working on. Might get away with generalizing this face as Polynesian. Though I realize there are differences between the Islanders. As I stated at the beginning of this thread, that all of these faces are very subjective anyway. But these faces will offer up a variety of new shapes to play with and mix together. This makes 9 new faces so far. I need to jump back to Dog and Lion work today. Thinking now that if I create 3 more faces that will give us an even dozen new face shapes. That should be enough for a good Faces of the World V1.

WorldFaces30.JPG

Samoan

WorldFaces31.JPG

Dawn SE

WorldFaces32.JPG

Samoan

WorldFaces33.JPG

Samoan

WorldFaces34.JPG

Dawn SE

WorldFaces35.JPG

Samoan with lashes

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Oh, wow, I'm so glad to see Dawn's getting even more versatility!

I think you've done a lot of very interesting and cool work here.

But there's a lot of details that seem more based on expectations than reality. For instance, I find many, if not most, Asian faces have eyes less tilted than Europeans if you judge by outer corner height to inner corner height. In my experience, they're more likely than Europeans to have an almost level lower eye line with a more curved upper line. Also, the African heads are, to my eye, very far from reality. Like a lot of older African morphs, the noses are smushed and the profile is way off. You might think about the depth of the lower face, as well as the shape of the back of the skull. And Ethiopians tend to be very distinctive, so that's a morph that's both easy to see if you got it wrong and hard to get right. You might want to use a more general name unless you're going to really spend a lot of time on that particular morph.

To me it looks like you might want to spend some more time looking at non-European profiles and head shapes in general. Your frontal images look OK, but to me the profiles are too weak to use. That said, the first content I started making was head morphs, because I found pretty much all the ethnic head morphs unusable without a whole lot of help from either Capsces' morphs (toony at full, but a little of her fine feature controls could go a _long_ way) or magnets. I loved Miki 1 because she was the first realistically Asian figure I had. She also made my most realistic African diaspora character. So I'm not your average customer when it comes to ethnic morphs.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Oh good, @Chris ... glad to see more on this project!! I WANT! :) *besides your new doggie*....well and anything you create! ;)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Oh, wow, I'm so glad to see Dawn's getting even more versatility!

I think you've done a lot of very interesting and cool work here.

But there's a lot of details that seem more based on expectations than reality. For instance, I find many, if not most, Asian faces have eyes less tilted than Europeans if you judge by outer corner height to inner corner height. In my experience, they're more likely than Europeans to have an almost level lower eye line with a more curved upper line. Also, the African heads are, to my eye, very far from reality. Like a lot of older African morphs, the noses are smushed and the profile is way off. You might think about the depth of the lower face, as well as the shape of the back of the skull. And Ethiopians tend to be very distinctive, so that's a morph that's both easy to see if you got it wrong and hard to get right. You might want to use a more general name unless you're going to really spend a lot of time on that particular morph.

To me it looks like you might want to spend some more time looking at non-European profiles and head shapes in general. Your frontal images look OK, but to me the profiles are too weak to use. That said, the first content I started making was head morphs, because I found pretty much all the ethnic head morphs unusable without a whole lot of help from either Capsces' morphs (toony at full, but a little of her fine feature controls could go a _long_ way) or magnets. I loved Miki 1 because she was the first realistically Asian figure I had. She also made my most realistic African diaspora character. So I'm not your average customer when it comes to ethnic morphs.

From my first post on this thread I've mentioned these morphs are subjective. A particular races look can have a wide range of variance. To say that one is wrong or inaccurate to me can also be quite subjective. I'm not pulling these out of my head, but am using several references and using what I like, and what I think will show some variety. Also the cranium, or back of the head is not being considered here, only the face portion. The goal for me is to leave the cranium alone to not affect existing fitted hairstyles.

I would very much welcome your own look, and experience creating head morphs to be applied to Dawn, if you have the time and interest. We could always use more support for our figures. I'm doing my best to juggle a number of projects at the time. When someone sees a void or something that isn't quite up to snuff, is a good time to step in and fill a need.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Cute and funny ( and totally unscientific) video of Asians trying distinguish between Asian faces:

Once they take away cues like language, outfit, makeup style ect- they scored terribly even though they were sure it would be easy!

One of my friends is Eskimo-Inuit/ Swiss. She is always taken for pure Japanese at the anime Cons she goes to--- by Japanese!-- so, yes, it is really pretty subjective.

(Test starts at 6.32 )

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Chris I am loving these and can't wait to get my hands on them! Right now I badly need a Celtic/Irish face shape and my own attempts have failed by mills so far, though that could be a reference issue too