• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP Dawn, Dusk, Baby Luna Ponytail hairstyle underway.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
:yeahthat: Yes! This is similar to what I was just going to say. That one "bumpy" tail preview that you posted, I would love, LOVE something like that which started at the base of the skull. I see SO MANY ponytail and braid items that are wonderful, very well made, but because the tail starts at the top of the head, they can NOT be used on males. When one renders NA males, this is a really big point of frustration. Heck, even as a female, I always start my ponytails and braids at the base of the neck, not the top of the head. :)

I really need that kind of a rigged "bumpy/segmented" braid/ponytail for the males, but starting at the top of the head makes it distinctly female and it cannot be applied to the boys and look good on them. That's one of the biggest reasons I use so many of Ali's items on my males; the tails from certain of his products can be parented to another hair base, which it looks like I will be able to do with the tails you are making now as well. But trying to match hair colors and textured appearance between two different items to make the hairstyle is a difficult thing to do at times.

I really like the way this product is looking. I love it. It is going to fly into my cart as soon as I see it in the store! LOL :D But would it be possible to have a morph to be able to sort of "tighten" the hole in the back of the cap instead? That won't stretch the whole cap trying to pull the hole down to the nape, and would allow us to 'close' the back of the skull if we want to use the translate dials to bring the add-on tails down the head to the nape.

It's just a thought I had as I looked at your previews is all. I really do like the way this is shaping up (and I am already TOTALLY sold on it! haha), but I definitely would like to be able to use the long ponytail/braid objects on Dusk as well.

It makes it hard to do some Asian male renders as well. A servant's que? cue? braided pony tail, does not start in the middle or top of his head after all. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It makes it hard to do some Asian male renders as well. A servant's que? cue? braided pony tail, does not start in the middle or top of his head after all. ;)

Yes! I have fought with renders like that many times over the years. Another thing that it makes it tough on, is biker's ponytails, or just general woodsmen who might happen to wear their hair a bit long. I know many guys who wear ponytails of varying lengths, and they always start their tails at the base of the neck.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's a nice man's ponytail style. Not crazy about the beard though.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
uh... It just occurred to me... @Chris - would it be impossible to move the tail down that far for a men's ponytail look?

re: http://www.hairfinder.com/hairstyling/manhaircut4.jpg

I had asked about that earlier in the thread... from what little I know of hair geometry, I suspect a morph to "pull" the "hole" down that far might create unsightly stretching and deforming of the mesh.

Maybe the better solution would be a morph to "close the hole" so to speak, so that we could parent a tail to the nape of the neck like that if we wanted to, and would not be left with an empty hole in the back of the head where higher-seated ponytails/braids are added to the base hair cap.

Just my thoughts... whatever Chris comes up with will be great, and I am SO going to be snapping it up when it's released. :) But yes, having a utility morph like that on the cap will make it a LOT more usable for some of us who want the ponytails or braids to sit lower on the head.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Or a modular product with add-on tails, or braids, or whatever. So long as they all share colors, there could be more than one skull cap. One with the hair drawn up to the crown, and another with it drawn back to the nape. Maybe then get fancy with two-tailed caps.