• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
For the record, I've heard them referred to as thongs here in the US as well.
As a teenager I used to wear what I refer to as Thongs, and the top of the sandals attached to the sole between the Big and Second toes, which for some is uncomfortable.

ThongsFlipFlops.jpg

To me Flip-Flops are any sandals that don't have a strap around the back of the foot, which is why they "flip-flopped" when you walked.

The beach sandals I think Earl is referring to were made of some kind of rubberized sole so you could wear them on the beach, and not worry about them getting wet. Those sandals were thicker than a regular street shoe.

eclark1894

Visionary
As a teenager I used to wear what I refer to as Thongs, and the top of the sandals attached to the sole between the Big and Second toes, which for some is uncomfortable.

View attachment 62224

To me Flip-Flops are any sandals that don't have a strap around the back of the foot, which is why they "flip-flopped" when you walked.

The beach sandals I think Earl is referring to were made of some kind of rubberized sole so you could wear them on the beach, and not worry about them getting wet. Those sandals were thicker than a regular street shoe.
They were also cheaper, depending on what store you bought them from.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The extremely cheap rubbery footwear with the piece between the big toe and next toe were called thongs when I was a child. One day, my mom, brothers, and I had walked about a mile from home when the front edge of the thong caught on a crack in the sidewalk, jamming that "toe thong" first against the incredibly tender area between my big toe and the next toe before the "toe thong" ripped out of the sole. It hurt so incredibly much that I never again wore one of those highly despised (by me) pieces of pseudo-footwear, nor any other footwear with a strap between the toes.

Of course, the thong was then unwearable, and as my parents never allowed us to walk barefoot outdoors, the walk home wasn't the most pleasant experience either.

Per Wikipedia:
"Flip-flops" consist of a flat sole held loosely on the foot by a Y-shaped strap known as a toe thong that passes between the first and second toes and around both sides of the foot or can be a hard base with a strap across all the toes (these can also be called sliders or slides).

This footware became popular in the US in the 1960s ... which is when I was a child :p

Wikipedia also states they were called Flip-flops in the US at the time, but I suspect what they were called depended on the region of the US. The first time I ever heard them called Flip-flops was when I moved to the East Coast in the late 90s.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist

View attachment 62224

Got this from google...
One example is the local term for flip-flops. "The Australians call them 'thongs', a word which in New Zealand refers to an item of ladies' underwear," said Mr Cryer. In Newzild, he explained, flip-flops are known as "jandals".Jul 2, 2006

We call the underwear thongs as well...in Australia they normally don't have backs except on small children's sizes. It would be interesting to get a definition of what makes a thong.

Taken from Wikipedia...edited to add it.

Flip-flops are a type of sandal, typically worn as a form of casual wear. They consist of a flat sole held loosely on the foot by a Y-shaped strap known as a toe thong that passes between the first and second toes and around both sides of the foot or can be a hard base with a strap across all the toes (these can also be called sliders or slides).

This style of footwear has been worn by the people of many cultures throughout the world, originating as early as the ancient Egyptians in 1,500 B.C.

In the United States the flip-flop descends from the Japanese zōri, which became popular after World War II as soldiers brought them back from Japan. They became popular unisex summer footwear[1] starting in the 1960s.

The term flip-flop has been used in American and British English since the 1960s to describe the thong or no-heel-strap sandal. It is an onomatopoeia of the sound made by the sandals when walking in them.[2] They are called thongs (sometimes pluggers[3]) in Australia,[4] jandals (originally a trademarked name derived from "Japanese sandals") in New Zealand,[5] slops or “visplakkies” in South Africa[6] and Zimbabwe, and tsinelas or step-in in the Philippines (or, in some Visayan localities, "smagol", from the word smuggled).

Throughout the world, they are known by a variety of other names, including slippers in Hawaii, Bahamas, and Trinidad and Tobago.

This ties in with my thinking of what a thong is...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Pendraia(beautiful nick btw) if you make everything yourself, then displacement maps are not the problem. The only problem that is left are the render times. Personally I don't think it is worth it. Hopefully p12 will be faster at rendering.
Thanks, it's made of the first 3 letters of my name, the first 3 letters of dragon and then added an ia on the end. I use DS and in a pinch I could use a push modifier with clothing and at times have done that with characters that use displacement but it is time consuming. Sorry to disrupt the thread with the discussion of flip flops...too early here and I'd forgotten that the discussion was in the new dawn thread.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Thanks, it's made of the first 3 letters of my name, the first 3 letters of dragon and then added an ia on the end. I use DS and in a pinch I could use a push modifier with clothing and at times have done that with characters that use displacement but it is time consuming. Sorry to disrupt the thread with the discussion of flip flops...too early here and I'd forgotten that the discussion was in the new dawn thread.
I use ds mostly too. I always model everything first in ds and then port over to poser. For me that is the fastest way.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'm interested in knowing, since it's been brought up, how does one rig in DS and have it work in Poser? Seems really strange to me. I know I won't be able to do that with L'Homme or La'Femme but when D & D 2.0 hits it would be good info to have.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
I'm interested in knowing, since it's been brought up, how does one rig in DS and have it work in Poser? Seems really strange to me. I know I won't be able to do that with L'Homme or La'Femme but when D & D 2.0 hits it would be good info to have.

You can for instance, export gen 2 as a cr2 file. So you can use gen2 in poser, that is what I would do with clothes too, and then adjust the rigging in poser.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
She needs chapstick! lol
What a wonderful job you are doing! You certainly know your craft.
Haha yes digital chapstick aka sss. That will soften the details alot. You should see her knuckles lol, they look like knuckles from an 80 year old. I later have to match them with the texture from Dawn. But all in good time. I have been studying things alot lately. Wait till you get my planned eye morph for better rendering of the eyes.

Doug Hunter

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
In Australia they are not called flip flops, they are thongs ;)
Yes I remember, but you also say jumbuck for sheep or prawns for shrimps.
Well someone certainly derailed this thread with their flip-flop verse thongs comment. :whistling:

I’d just like to add that no one but no one in Australia calls sheep jumbucks, unless they are singing Waltzing Matilda.

But the real question we all want answered is: When can we get our hands on Dawn 2.0?