• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
I will say this, I am looking forward to buying Dawn 2 so yeah, you've got at least one early yes to getting her. HOWEVER, I do reserve the right to get her based on what accessories I see offered for her. So that's why I'm so interested.
Carl, know you can model pretty well, have you tried modeling something like that? Maybe a good idea for the marketplace or a nice freebie.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
You see, if I look at the Daz website all their promo renders are very well done. They have a very high standard. I am not saying this is something we need, but maybe we have to strive for this. I am trying to come up with stuff to make this easier. I have that idea for over a year now. Maybe I should just try it lol.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
For instance the promos of all the beautiful animals on the hive are very well done promos. Maybe people can teach others how to make a good promo picture?
This is a good idea and I think we should break it out into it's own thread - possibly in the CA section of the forums. This was something that was sort of done back at RubtimeDNA. They even had a separate Promo QA check and group. Having places to share techniques and discuss promos could benefit many. I feel some of my more recent promos have been stale - but I have been very distracted lately.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
You see, if I look at the Daz website all their promo renders are very well done. They have a very high standard. I am not saying this is something we need, but maybe we have to strive for this. I am trying to come up with stuff to make this easier. I have that idea for over a year now. Maybe I should just try it lol.
Oh trust on this comment. I've got a few friends that are published artists there at DAZ3D and their standards for the promos are very very HIGH! They reject any renders that don't really show off the product to it's fullest. And with good reason but man I tell you, when I've spent MONTHS working on a project I try to do promo renders as I'm going along because the last think you want to have to deal with is another month of doing those. Renderosity is a tiny bit picky but NOTHING like DAZ3D!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Maybe we can just create a thread. It is also informative for a newbie. It can even help them getting better at rendering.
Not a bad idea. Since switching to Poser I'm HORRIBLE at using the lighting system still. I have no idea how to really set up an HDR map yet and I really struggle with that. So I've been doing this a good long while but on the DS side so I'm an OLD NEWBIE!@ LOL

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have no idea how to really set up an HDR map yet and I really struggle with that.
I use Snarly Gribbly's EZDome for HDRi maps, though Bagginsbill's EnvSphere works as well. In fact EZDome utilizes the EnvSphere (with BB's permission), and is really nice to work with.

You can grab it on his site here --> EZDome Script

You can grab BB's EnvSphere on his site here --> EnvSphere Script, though I think you'll like EZDome better once you get a handle on it.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
What i like about daz promos, especially the hair ones, is that they let you see an untextured render. I also like to work with beautyrenders ( thats rendering everything seperatly so you can blend it well, i think i read somewhere poser had this option too?) Maybe we have to dive in to this a bit deeper. Today i have a busy day lol, creating the universal normal maps for Dawn.

What i often see at daz, the promos that get me, are the ones that connect with me. No dead stares etc. And if there is a pose set, i would really like to see the interaction in different circumstances ( outside, inside etc).

Hmm lots and lots of stuff to think about lol. I will start a thread later today, and we will see, maybe we can collect examples of what one likes.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Can you post the thread's link here Aylaaenas ?

Miss B. Yes, very well aware of those domes, have both but still not super happy with how the renders come out. Blurry allot of the times, nothing crisp and realistic. So besides the domes I need information about the material room and how to set them up to look their best. I have HDR maps anywhere from 1 to 16K. There is also the zoom factor in using them. In relation to the character everything in MOST of the HDR's render huge in comparison. I've found by reducing the size of the dome it sort of gets to where I want it to be size wise in relation to the Poser figures I have in the scene. THAT'S what I'm referring to. Blurry! Too large in how the HDR renders out!

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Richard, it doesn't really matter how large the hdri is, it is about the captures. Iray can handle 29 maximum. It is also important everything is set up correctly for the hdri photography. The right time for the sun etc. It is not as easy as it sounds. Hdri should cast shadows and most simply don't.