• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I agree. The problem with zbrush is that it is depended on the polygons when texturing. Subdivide your model 4 or better 5 times will help you definitely. If you want I can make a video tutor.

Also the better the uv the better the normal map.
I would love to see a quick tutorial. I am trying to get more into texturing and hopefully character sculpting for Poser.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
I would love to see a quick tutorial. I am trying to get more into texturing and hopefully character sculpting for Poser.

I don't use zbrush for texturing, sometimes for testing. I am texturing in 3d coat. But creating normals or texturing is basically the same. When I texture I use the bridge to photoshop. I will prepare later today some materials and how to make a normal map.

Personally I create my diffuse textures last and I always start with the normal map. If I painy the diffuse I can paint over the normal and match the characteristics of the normal map. If I use photos I can overlay them so they match the normals ( wrinkles etc)

In bpr you really need very flat diffuse textures. If you use a different photo source than your normal's. If you use the same source it's OK to have wrinkles in the diffuse map.

In the old days we had really detailed diffuse maps. That is not really needed anymore. Remember the pores are tiny holes in the skin. Also indented scars are drawn back in the skin due to the scar fibers pull on the outer skin and leave a dent due to the lack of collagen.

Now you know this, you will see the details are not on the surface but under the surface, that's where the normal map and displacement maps come in. Basically the diffuse is just flat. You can even paint a diffuse map now for bpr purposes.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
I would first create your morphs and then create the skin pores etc. So your morph will be etched(baked) in to the normal map. Which in my opinion gives more realistic results.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Here you can see sculpted pores. This is an old wip I did on my old rig. Here I still had to edit the lines around the mouth area

Attachments

• file_2b44928ae11fb9384c4cf38708677c48.jpg
    file_2b44928ae11fb9384c4cf38708677c48.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 203

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Here you can see sculpted pores. This is an old wip I did on my old rig. Here I still had to edit the lines around the mouth area
Excellent work!
But as a cosmetologist, I would tell her we need to work on getting her pores smaller, she needs some good toner and a regular appointment for a facial.
I find it so amusing, that everything practically that I worked to minimize on a client, are things that they want brought out as an artist....

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Here are the finished Sandals now as of tonight. Detail pieces now complete and sandal sole has been resized to fit her foot.

Onto creating UVs for all Clothing items next. As well as creating a few stray facial and body morphs for Dawn 2.

Uberwork504.JPG

Uberwork505.JPG

Uberwork506.JPG

Uberwork507.JPG

Uberwork508.JPG

Uberwork509.JPG

Uberwork510.JPG

Uberwork511.JPG

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I don't know if I missed it somewhere along the way, but will Dawn 2.0 have more joints in the toes? I'm trying to curl the toes, and I only get "hammer toes" (trigger toes). because there is only 1 joint.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Excellent work!
But as a cosmetologist, I would tell her we need to work on getting her pores smaller, she needs some good toner and a regular appointment for a facial.
I find it so amusing, that everything practically that I worked to minimize on a client, are things that they want brought out as an artist....
LOL yes, but we have to tell Minka Kelly that hehehe. I made the pores after her. Btw the pores will soften too if she has sss and a diffuse map

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Excellent work!
As you can see here, pores are less visible but still there

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_071721.jpg
    IMG_20200707_071721.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 202

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
As you can see here, pores are less visible but still there
Yes, she is a little "older", so the skin does thicken some and the pores often become more noticeable, especially in high-def images. Makeup tends to "smooth" that out, and in younger skin, it also tends to be less noticeable. She has lovely skin overall for her age! You did an excellent job with the maps you did of her!

DanaTA

Distinguished
@eclark1894 I don't drink straight milk, either. I did when I was young. I have to watch the sugar intake these days, so I haven't been drinking much. But I like chocolate milk, coffee milk (it's a New England thing), and Maple Milk TM If you like maple flavor, you should try it! Use 100% pure maple syrup! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
I couldn't recall the Hydrox cookies, but did a search, and yes I remember them, but haven't seen them around in ages. According to Wikipedia, they were discontinued in 1999, and then brought back in 2015. They were the original cookie Oreo's based theirs on.
I remember them from when I was a kid. You beat me to it but I was going to point out that they actually predate Oreos by about six years. I looked it up though and they came out in 1906. Oreos came out in 1912, and were inspired by Hydrox.
1594120219431.png