• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I've been cutting up, redirecting, and fine tuning the new Dawn 2.0 mesh, as well as reshaping the face and such.

Onto torso next.

Dawn2Work32.JPG
Dawn2Work33.JPG
Dawn2Work34.JPG
Dawn2Work35.JPG
Dawn2Work36.JPG
Dawn2Work37.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Oh, one more thing. The mesh is all sealed up now too. The inner mouth is closed up and I've added eye sockets. This will make it easier to produce 3D prints that require the geometry to be closed.

Shot of the inner mouth and Uvula, minus the teeth and gums.

Dawn2Work31.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Took the small smile out of the corners of the mouth, and brought them inward more.

Also had a comment from Steve Corder suggesting the lips had a bit of a duck-face to them. So I've reshaped them into a more generic appearance.

Dawn2Work38.JPG
Dawn2Work39.JPG
Dawn2Work40.JPG
Dawn2Work41.JPG
Dawn2Work42.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
The face is now looking bland and generic while still having an attractiveness about it, not easy to do I suspect but just what is need for a base figure.

Kinda strange to think that in this case "bland and generic" is a compliment right? I feel like I'm taking out her personality. But, I know it's a necessary thing to do so that folks will be happy about her base look.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Couldn't there be both? I remember when M1/M2 came out I think, they had a morph that changed his base look to a more generic M1/M2 look.
Couldn't that be done for those who either don't like spinning dials and like Dawns base look or those not doing morph paks for her who need a more generic base to start from? Include it as either a morph on the base that can be dialed on or off or like they did with Mil1/2 figures an alternative figure.

Hornet3d

Wise
Kinda strange to think that in this case "bland and generic" is a compliment right? I feel like I'm taking out her personality. But, I know it's a necessary thing to do so that folks will be happy about her base look.

Just in case there is any doubt, yes, 'bland and generic' was a complement as I had understood the aim from posts earlier in the thread. To me that is the difference between a base figure and a character, you are indeed taking out her personality but that allows so many personalities to be built either with morphs or, for those of us who are less skilled, by spinning morph dials.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Is this like using overlays for makeups?
You just use maps for different areas. Lips have the blank default lip in the diffuse channel with a map over it. Face is black, but the new lip color is showing. Same with eyeshadows. It's just a base layered over the default face, etc. A lot of ppl are now using LIE to make shadows, blush, lips, and many different styles of eye liners for characters. It can really slow your computer down (IMHO), and if you apply a shadow, etc. you don't like, you have to remember to go to the LIE and remove it. It's not as easy as just clicking on a regular map. If you have MR, then it's easy to offer lots of options with your characters.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I was just at Renderosity looking at the old Ball Joint Doll there thinking I wanted to do some renders with it but was disappointed.
Apparently it can only be used as a child. I thought there might be an adult version for her but i remembered wrong.
How difficult would it be to get a Ball Joint Doll made from Dawn2? I have a few but not very good and always wanted one that looked more realistic.
Any market for it here?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
You just use maps for different areas. Lips have the blank default lip in the diffuse channel with a map over it. Face is black, but the new lip color is showing. Same with eyeshadows. It's just a base layered over the default face, etc. A lot of ppl are now using LIE to make shadows, blush, lips, and many different styles of eye liners for characters. It can really slow your computer down (IMHO), and if you apply a shadow, etc. you don't like, you have to remember to go to the LIE and remove it. It's not as easy as just clicking on a regular map. If you have MR, then it's easy to offer lots of options with your characters.

So this IS using overlays, like the "EZ Eyeliner" example I have posted earlier in this thread? In that example I have overlayed eyeliner over the no-makeup texture using a mask. Those overlays can be stacked, like I could had added an eye shadow makeup over the eyeliner, all using masks. The advantage of using masks (instead of layers) is that it works in all Poser versions, and at least in Poser 11, I can see the results directly on the previews before rendering. It also allows changing the makeup colors using HSV nodes, or multiplying by another color using shader nodes. On the DS side, at least in my experience, we can do the same using ShaderMixer, but it doesn't show in previews. We have to render to see the effect.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes a compliment :) I think if you add to her base a morph for her current Dawn look like the 3 extras you currently have for SE it would be a nice option of a "plain face" and a "personality face" and I do like SE's other options too so would hate to loose them as an option as well.

Edited to add: I like the name Vanilla for her new plainer face :) I think you could perhaps call her, err, old "personality" face could be called "Classic" and added in with the SE faces for those of us who still love that look (it adds variety after all)
Dawn Morphs.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I've reworked, redirected the topology, and reshaped Dawn's shoulders, chest, and breasts now.

I'm digging this mesh so much better. It's cleaner then Dawn S.E. and should work much better for Paul to rig.

Dawn2Work43.JPG

Dawn 2.0 showing new shoulders, chest and breasts.

Dawn2Work44.JPG

Dawn S.E. showing previous mesh layout and shape.

Dawn2Work45.JPG

New Dawn 2.0

Will move to the back and abdomen next.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I like this new all-quads mesh with cleaner loops. I remember some people complaining the default breast shape was unrealistic, to include the morph shape options. I am hoping this will improve on the new version. I am also eager to see how the new torso groups will be setup. They need to be more uniform and well spaced than the ones from the original Dawn. Thank you for sharing the progress with us! ^___^