• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Stezza

Dances with Bees
as a Carrara user I mostly use LoRenzo and or Genesis 1 & 2 as that's all that works

but if Dawn 2 works in Carrara and a clothing converter was available from G through to G8 then... wow..

sorry ... was just dreaming then... :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I think that is true, La Femme is their 'go to' figure but I am hopeful the HiveWire 3D figures will get a look in. For a start I think that the days of 'go to' figure's is ending, there will never be a figure like V4 again that will take a almost total hold over the market. I think more and more that users will use multiple figures depending on what scene they are creating. Then there is also the fact that while Dawn might compete with La Femme there is still Dusk, The HiveWire Horse, The Gorilla and Luna that has no such competition. This has got to be good news for HiveWire 3D and great news for Poser as I am sure it will result in many more using the figures once they find out just how good they are. If nothing else it has proved once and for all that Dawn does work in Poser.
Thanks both of you...... Well La Femme has some weird things going on where the underarms and breasts meet, it's quite off putting. Other than that she's pretty. I know the Blackhearted extra morph pack takes care of all that but MOST packs I see for her don't include any support. On the other hand the Hivewire figures are all supported in one way or another, supported on both platforms and the JCM's are in place to keep things looking less rubbery! PLUS La Femme has no male counterpart.. meh! LOL

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks both of you...... Well La Femme has some weird things going on where the underarms and breasts meet, it's quite off putting.
Her underarms were the first thing I noticed that looked a bit weird, and the morphs/controls for them don't help much.

DanaTA

Distinguished
as a Carrara user I mostly use LoRenzo and or Genesis 1 & 2 as that's all that works

but if Dawn 2 works in Carrara and a clothing converter was available from G through to G8 then... wow..

sorry ... was just dreaming then... :)

Dawn comes in a DS version. If that works in DS, then maybe it works in Carrara! Maybe ask Mystie.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, that sounds like a good idea. What about the toes? I'm not that up on the Gray Alien to remember what his feet look like.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Ohhh, that sounds like a good idea. What about the toes? I'm not that up on the Gray Alien to remember what his feet look like.
That would be cool too - but I usually have footwear on my aliens so the feet are often not directly seen.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That may be true for a number of folks. I wouldn't necessarily put shoes/boots on an alien, but I'm sure there are others who wouldn't think twice about doing so.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Aliens are people too, so it's not uncommon for them to wear footwear just like us.

You know ... hoofed aliens might be perfectly comfortable running around without footwear, as the StarGate Asgard race apparently are, since they don't wear footwear (or any clothing for that matter) and are based on the Roswell grey aliens. But, the majority of alien races I've seen wear clothing and footwear ... like Klingons, Vulcans, Borg, Romulans, and going back through the StarGate ... even the Jaffa.

I definitely wouldn't want a Klingon to step on my toes! They wear some rather heavy duty footwear.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I could check to find out but, could some tell me if Dawn uses face chips to make expressions, or does she use dials?

The current Dawn and DawnSE were made prior to the release of the face chip functions in Poser, so they use dials.

Will the DS version be getting one?

Yes! We have always maintained the same functionality where each of the programs allow. It may be extra work but we still believe the content should be the same regardless of your program preference. The face rig will be used to create the shapes Chris has created with individual controls for the major muscle areas of the face. You will be able to adjust with some morphs and rig to tweak as needed.

We understand what we're up against. Still we move forward to create something that is our own. Some thing that is deeply influenced by our supporters, and by the passion within to do the best we can and offer up something new and different. Will it be enough? Will DS users even look our way anyway? We believe a few will look at Dawn 2, and between the few DS users and perhaps more Poser users it just might be enough to make it worthwhile. It will certainly deepen our figure and content offerings for HiveWire in general. It will be new and fresh. It will be a better figure base we can create other figures from. It will have a brand new and improved rig. It will be for both apps, and soon after for iClone as well. I like our chances.

Well said, Dawn 2.0 will be native in DS and Poser with mats for the latest render engines. As I said above. Functions will be the same where the programs allow. We think Dawn 2.0 will be innovative for content creators as well as users and she will offer improvements over existing figures. Will she be your favorite? That is totally up to you and your needs, but we will do our best to give you a solid choice for your goto figures.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Which is particularly the case if you have a character rather than the default figure. Understandably expressions are created using the default figure and while they may look great it is a very different situation when applying the same morph to and already morphed character.

Coincidentally, I was recently trying to make a blow kiss scene with DawnSE, and the morphs wouldn't work with the character morph I was using. That seems to be a common issue.

I am a Poser user who has always supported HiveWire's approach in supporting DS and Poser, if DS users decide not to use Hivewire figures that is their choice. I do feel however, that they are in a no win situation with some suggesting they are not doing enough but I bet there would be many complaints if they decided to drop DS support. Without question HiveWire is the leader in trying to supply both the main software programs and I see nothing wrong in that.

Chris and Paul do their work in DS, so I cannot imagine them ever dropping support for it. However, I do agree that DS users tend to use Genesis, even because she already ships pre-installed with the program, and also because there is way more contents for her than for Dawn. I also suspect some DS users may not even know Dawn exists, since they shop mostly at DAZ, where HW contents cannot be sold or advertised. I believe DS users who already use Genesis will keep doing so.

Still, I can see how face chips could be useful in making face morphs, not just doing expressions ... which is what I'd thought they were basically for.

This is one thing I admire on LaFemme - the way her face rig can be used to reshape the face and other body parts in creative ways that do not require morphs. However, I am not sure if this can be reproduced in DS, since for example, smooth translations were a new feature introduced in Poser 11, and I don't know if DS supports that.

Dawn 2.0 will include new pectoral bones, which in LaFemme can be reshaped and repositioned using these chip controls. The innovation here was how the chips can also be used to scale and translate things, depending on which tool is selected, instead of just the traditional rotations. This is quite versatile and powerful when rigging a figure, because it eliminates the need for so many morphs that could be handled with control chips.

If Dawn 2.0 will use a control rig like this, I know it will work in Poser, but I don't know if DS supports some of the required features. This would also make Dawn 2.0 only supported in Poser 11 (I wouldn't mind!).

We think Dawn 2.0 will be innovative for content creators as well as users and she will offer improvements over existing figures.

I can already see improvements on Dawn 2.0's topology and grouping. The new thigh bone placement and weight maps already show significant posing improvement. The new default shape is now more like a "base" and less like an identifiable character. The new chest and neck with single groups will resolve some posing issues, and make it easier to pose the figure (and create contents for it). The abdomen groups are now larger, giving more buffer geometry to allow for better posing. The head is now a single group (yay!!), but the jaw bone is still there (yay!!). The feet now include a metatarsal bone that will finally allow for more realistic feet posing. The thumbs will include a new metacarpal bone to extend its posability range. The chest now includes pectoral bones, which is standard in most mainstream figures nowadays. I find posing breasts with morphs rather difficult, and control chips could also control their size. Her feet and hands are now smaller, and the general physique less bulky, and therefore more feminine. She will also be the first HW figure to feature a facial rig.

There are just too many improvements [that I know of] to mention here. The list could keep going on and on... just with what I know has improved. This will be a HUGE change in figure quality, and this is happening right on Dawn's 2nd generation. I don't know of any other figure that has improved in such a scale from one generation to the next. Consider that V4 wouldn't pose properly even after 4 generations.

In my humble opinion, Dawn 2.0 will not be just a new version, but a new experience. It's a very exciting time! ^___^

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Okay Satira what do you think of these?

This first one is a new morph called BrowlineRaise. This one doesn't affect the eyelids.

Notice no brow expression wrinkles.

Dawn2Work301.JPG

Dawn2Work302.JPG

Default Dawn 2 for comparison.

Dawn2Work303.JPG

This one is a new morph called BrowlineRaiseHeavyEyelids. So this one is a combo morph.

Dawn2Work304.JPG

BrownlineRaiseHeavyEyelids shown without lashes for better view. Notice the heavy eyelids with this one.

Dawn2Work305.JPG

BrowlineRaise without affecting eyelids.

Dawn2Work306.JPG

Default Dawn 2 with no lashes.