• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

unreal

Noteworthy
The OBJ is still a single one - it's the groups that get split into separate meshes. That's easy to see in Blender if you try sculpting over it, you may open holes at the split seams. You can also compare vertex count between the original from the Geometries folder, and the one Poser exports. The latter will have higher vertex count, but still the same number of polys. What happens is that all vertexes shared between groups get duplicated.

Smoothing can only work if the mesh were a single piece, but we can't get that from Poser exports. You can enable welding in the export options, and that will make it a single piece, but the vertex order won't match the original, so morphs will spike out if loaded back in Poser. I made a tool to fix that in particular. It rebuilds welded OBJs exported from Poser, restoring the vertex order. It only works with OBJs exported from Poser. That allows exporting unimesh morph targets from Poser, and they can be further sculpted elsewhere, or used as morph targets.

That's the way! ^___^
:D

OBJ not being the same as object. In blender an object is the verts, faces, etc. So what comes into Blender is a single object, with a "mesh" that's non manifold (ie: "holes" and discontinuities).

I want to say there was an export/import combination that could produce multiple objects, but that might have been something like hexagon.

Poser does that, right? The original object file is just a single continuous mesh.

I know we can't get that from Poser export. What we need is a map of the unimesh verts to split mesh verts. map with vert: [vert1, vert2] identifies a welded vert. I actually do something very similar in my full morph mirroring script. I create vert lists, keyed on xyz: [...vertnum]

xyz converted to ints, using a power of 10 multiplier which determines the precision. You can see how, using the resulting list, it's easy (and quick) to determine symmetric (to precision)

For this, you'd need to know which source OBJ vert corresponds to which split mesh vert (a map) Then you could use the original mesh in blender to morph use the vert map to apply that morph to an OBJ of the split mesh, then use that to morph the poser figure. Should be able to do most of that in Blender. It can duplicate, weld to unimesh, create a map, hide the original, change the unimesh, then use the map to apply those changes back to the original, then use that in poser.

It's rainy. Maybe I'll play with this :)

Of course, that puts other software project but I'm to the point I need a break from that code anyway :D

unreal

Noteworthy
It's easy to forget Dawn\Dusk start with the same letter. Cath has suggested D2F and D2M, and I find that simpler to type and to remember. :)
Makes perfect sense.

Aren't they both from essentially the same mesh?

If so, D2 indicates the mesh, M is one sculpt and F is another sculpt. If someone made an alien it could be D2ALIEN or D2.ALIEN :)

If something has a proper name, then something like D2.Bruce. That way if there was a D1.Bruce we would know it's the same character, for the D2 mesh.

I suppose that makes D2.Dawn and D2.Dusk, but since they're the "base" F and M figures D2F and D2M work too.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Makes perfect sense.

Aren't they both from essentially the same mesh?

If so, D2 indicates the mesh, M is one sculpt and F is another sculpt. If someone made an alien it could be D2ALIEN or D2.ALIEN :)

If something has a proper name, then something like D2.Bruce. That way if there was a D1.Bruce we would know it's the same character, for the D2 mesh.

I suppose that makes D2.Dawn and D2.Dusk, but since they're the "base" F and M figures D2F and D2M work too.
It's not about changing the name , most people call Victoria 4 "V4" and La Femme "LFM" not because it is difficult name to type . Same reason we type ''OK" in place of Okay /Okey, it is simply an abbreviation of the original word , nothing more nothing less .
Just because I use D2F and D2M don't means everyone have to do that and what you use will be your personal choice , and nothing wrong with that .
When you create tons of stuff it is just easier and quicker to label stuff for me and make labels shorter.

This time Dawn 2 is the original new base and the "mother" of all future character creations to come including Dusk2 , with a true meaning of her name .

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I believe the original Dawn was also the mother of all other figures, even the animals. I assume it will be the same with D2F.
Not talking just about the geometry but the whole main figure . Geometry and rigging together , the main mother base .

unreal

Noteworthy
I've been thinking, should she be dawn 2 or "mid-morning" since she followed dawn. Or are we on a new day, completely?

Or with dusk being the male (appearing) version, should gender neutral be "noon"? o_O

It's thinking like this that kept me out of the better schools.

And my therapist on "danger money".

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I just looked back in this thread and saw that my last comments were in late October.

Time for an update.

I told Cath yesterday that I've been saying for so long now that we are very close to having Dawn 2 ready to create for in the world of Rendo. It turns out that time waits for no man, and that it just keeps on flying by for some reason. I just sent to a small group of creators here an update on Dawn 2 files. I strongly believe this version is the last before we open things up to Rendo artists if they desire to create for Dawn 2.

Our small team is so happy to have Cath back creating for our Dawn 2 base. She is creating her texture set that we will release with. It will NOT be a merchant resource set and will only be made available to artists a few weeks before Dawn 2 releases, so they can use them for there product renders. We aim to have Dawn 2 looking her best on release and minimize the backlash she received on our initial Dawn release years ago. We will make available a merchant resource texture set that our talented friend Virtual World has created for us. Paul has updated those maps and material settings to be optimal for the latest Studio and Poser versions.

Paul has all the rigging completed for Poser and Studio and its working very well. He is finishing up the textures on our Bun hairstyle, and new bikini that will release with Dawn 2.

We are very confident that our Dawn 2 will be worth this elongated wait. Dusk 2 has been created from the same geometry as Dawn 2, and Luna 2 will be created from the same mesh as well.

Getting more excited now!!!

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I just looked back in this thread and saw that my last comments were in late October.

Time for an update.

I told Cath yesterday that I've been saying for so long now that we are very close to having Dawn 2 ready to create for in the world of Rendo. It turns out that time waits for no man, and that it just keeps on flying by for some reason. I just sent to a small group of creators here an update on Dawn 2 files. I strongly believe this version is the last before we open things up to Rendo artists if they desire to create for Dawn 2.

Our small team is so happy to have Cath back creating for our Dawn 2 base. She is creating her texture set that we will release with. It will NOT be a merchant resource set and will only be made available to artists a few weeks before Dawn 2 releases, so they can use them for there product renders. We aim to have Dawn 2 looking her best on release and minimize the backlash she received on our initial Dawn release years ago. We will make available a merchant resource texture set that our talented friend Virtual World has created for us. Paul has updated those maps and material settings to be optimal for the latest Studio and Poser versions.

Paul has all the rigging completed for Poser and Studio and its working very well. He is finishing up the textures on our Bun hairstyle, and new bikini that will release with Dawn 2.

We are very confident that our Dawn 2 will be worth this elongated wait. Dusk 2 has been created from the same geometry as Dawn 2, and Luna 2 will be created from the same mesh as well.

Getting more excited now!!!
Well said Chris , it is New Year and New Dawn and I am very much excited about as everyone else here .
As Chris stated above I will provide the final visual aspect and presentation of Dawn 2.0 with PBR Texture Set /character material presets , ready to render with best settings . Including also my PBR eyes that you loved so much in my early posts that I made for the main base and Paul rigged it together with eyelids for natural automatic movements and realism so not one future character will miss it ever again. It all looks great ! And I would not expect less from the great and humble team that put love in this creation . There is of course a lot more but I don't want to be a spoiler , I have to zipp my lips for now or I get in troubles..

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Cath, we are so excited, and blessed to have your talents applied to our Dawn 2.

You, and Paul are doing beautiful work for our Base release and supporting products.

I can't wait to see what Ken K., Satira and many others will create for her.
Thank you and you more than welcome !
It is a pleasure to working with you and Paul as always .

I am sure Ken.K will have lots of things done as he is very busy finishing stuff for his D2 collection and of course others as well from what I saw around . It's gonna be a great and creative 2022 for us all !

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Patience, little grasshopper. Coming up soon... (still DawnSE below).

Soon2.jpg

eclark1894

Visionary
Well said Chris , it is New Year and New Dawn and I am very much excited about as everyone else here .
As Chris stated above I will provide the final visual aspect and presentation of Dawn 2.0 with PBR Texture Set /character material presets , ready to render with best settings . Including also my PBR eyes that you loved so much in my early posts that I made for the main base and Paul rigged it together with eyelids for natural automatic movements and realism so not one future character will miss it ever again. It all looks great ! And I would not expect less from the great and humble team that put love in this creation . There is of course a lot more but I don't want to be a spoiler , I have to zipp my lips for now or I get in troubles..
I liked that. Make sure when she's released, you call her the "Dawn of a New Year!" :D :bounce:

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Do you have a date yet? Any chance you could release her a bit early to Renderosity so the testers can do their thing and all our goodies can be released with her?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Do you have a date yet? Any chance you could release her a bit early to Renderosity so the testers can do their thing and all our goodies can be released with her?
Janet , once everything is packed and ready Rendo's vendors will have enough time until the release to make and test own products .Chris will announce release data when it is 100% clear without any unexpected delays and everyone is in synch with the deadline.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Janet , once everything is packed and ready Rendo's vendors will have enough time until the release to make and test own products .Chris will announce release data when it is 100% clear without any unexpected delays and everyone is in synch with the deadline.
Thank you.