• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Here is the reworked pelvis and buttocks.
Clean mesh and a great flow for morphing and rigging.
Onto the thighs next.

Dawn2Work57.JPG
Dawn2Work58.JPG
Dawn2Work59.JPG
Dawn2Work60.JPG

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I like the new shapes and clean loops topology, Chris. The slender arms and neck make her look more feminine to me. It's hard to see in the T-pose, but the shoulders seem to be narrower. The new abs shape look more organic, and the protruding hip bone looks quite nice. The new navel shape also looks more organic and less geometric. I am eager to see how the new thighs will play with the torso. :)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I like the new shapes and clean loops topology, Chris. The slender arms and neck make her look more feminine to me. It's hard to see in the T-pose, but the shoulders seem to be narrower. The new abs shape look more organic, and the protruding hip bone looks quite nice. The new navel shape also looks more organic and less geometric. I am eager to see how the new thighs will play with the torso. :)

Cool. Yes the neck is thinner and the traps also. The arms are also thinner, but when I rework the arms I believe I'll thin them down just a tad more still. I have changed the navel shape which I believe is much better for a default shape. Oh, and yes the shoulders have been narrowed for sure. I still think I may go back and add in one more edge loop on the top of the shoulders to help the topology look when the arms are down.

Things are coming along though and progressing well. I'm VERY excited for our new Dawn 2.0 look.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I'm sure Ken will either be updating his Body Type sets, or possibly creating new ones for Dawn 2.0. If you haven't already, you should check out the ones he already has in the store.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ken, do you or Chris have a morph to give her a narrower or wider hip?

Well, the Base morphs pack that ships with Dawn has "HipsFull" and "HipsRounded". The first one can be used to the negative side to narrow the hips.

Cool. Yes the neck is thinner and the traps also. The arms are also thinner, but when I rework the arms I believe I'll thin them down just a tad more still. I have changed the navel shape which I believe is much better for a default shape. Oh, and yes the shoulders have been narrowed for sure. I still think I may go back and add in one more edge loop on the top of the shoulders to help the topology look when the arms are down.

Oh I like the changes you suggest, Chris. When I look at the back area at navel height, I know the original Dawn lacks enough loops to create 4 torso groups. The abdomen1, abdomen2 and chest1 get crumpled together, creating thin strips across the back. Depending on how the groups will be made in Dawn 2.0, either the lower torso could have more loops, or as I've previously suggested:

* remove the chest1 group, because the torso tends to collapse over itself when bent over 4 groups. This would give more geometry for the abdomen to bend with 2 groups, without having to add more loops.
* I would also favor 1 bone neck instead of 2 for the sake of better clothing rigging.
* Adding pectoral bones would provide more versatile posing control.
* Reduce the skin MAT zones from 9 to 4 for practical reasons.
* Replacing the jaw bone with a ghost bone to remove the dedicated group on the head.
* Adding a metatarsal bone to the feet to allow for more realistic posing.
* Adding an extra thumb phalange bone to the hands to allow the base of the thumbs to better fold over the palm. This would be more for folding the palm than posing the thumbs. This would be for secondary posing, so it could be a ghost bone (no body group).

Those are some lessons I have learned from the original Dawn that could be definitely improved on the new one, and they should work in both Poser and DS.

On the Reallusion CC3 base figure compatibility side, it doesn't use any bones or group information from Dawn, so none of these changes would affect compatibility. As a matter of fact, the CC3 figure has 3 bones on each thigh, 2 bones on the forearms, it has pectoral bones - it's a completely different skeleton.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I just thought of a couple of morphs it might be nice to have for those that convert clothing. A "spandex" morph for bust and butt. Could be usefull in getting away from the body sock look when converting clothing to Dawn from other figures.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'll double that request, as that's the one thing that could be very useful, especially for Dawn's bust for dresses and shirts. The one for her butt, would probably be useful for pants.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I'll double that request, as that's the one thing I could do without, especially for the Dawn's bust for dresses and shirts. The one for her butt, would probably be useful for pants.
Yeah I was thinking more the bust for dresses and tops but then I haven't converted many pants where the sock like fit was an issue but I know it can crop up

Me195

Extraordinary
That was what the morph as called on V3, it removed cleavage and made her look like she was wearing a spandex top. IE stretched across the boobs

Dawn SE has a similar morph called BodySuit in the Dawn starter morphs.
bodysuit1.jpg

bodysuit2.jpg

It's found in Actor:Body:FullBody:
I only mention it in case you or anyone else has just never come across it before. It's a valuable morph that I hope will be carried over in Dawn 2.0.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Dawn SE has a similar morph called BodySuit in the Dawn starter morphs.
It's found in Actor:Body:FullBody:
I only mention it in case you or anyone else has just never come across it before. It's a valuable morph that I hope will be carried over in Dawn 2.0.

I was going to say that, but you've beat me to it. Dawn already has this morph. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I certainly don't recall seeing it, so now I'll definitely have to check it out.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Nice! Yes I do recall very well creating that BodySuit morph. I think it's a valuable morph that is under-utilized.

We will indeed carry it forward into Dawn 2.0. No question.
Do you think it would be possible to split it in to top and bottom as well as full body? (Assuming its not all ready, haven't had a chance to look yet)