• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Childe of Fyre's Products

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I understand totally about the money thing, Rae. :) We've all been there!

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that the skin looked so good on default Dusk as well. I think I was so used to seeing it only on Nataani's morphs I somehow hadn't pictured it on the default before doing the promos. :D LOL!

skylab

Esteemed
My contribution...a first render...great work Seliah :)

Nataani render.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I just commented on this in your thread Sky. I like him bald!! Nicely done ma'am. ;)

Darryl

Adventurous
Wow, you posted this yesterday and it's already 2 pages long. I hate being late to the party. Anyhow, congrats on the new figure. Great to see a figure with a non-traditional body and face shape. Hope it does well for you.

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks everyone :) Might try again on some Nataani stuff this weekend. It's hard to believe that it's actually Dusk...he's so unique.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Congratulations on your release hon. YAY! He looks great and nothing like Dusk so that's very good. Nice when you can do a morph that changes a base figure enough where it's as different as it can be.

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
Thanks guys. :) I have to say, I think he was probably a beast of a package for QA to test with all of the partial poses and such. LOL!

Sanbie, that is really nice! He pulls off the wind-blown look quite nicely. LOL!

I have the INJ/REM file made for him thanks to Satira's help. I'm working on Poser materials for him. I do want to put a heads-up in here to note that the Poser version is only going to contain a single INJ/REM (head+body), and his materials, and that the poses I am still VERY much undecided yet...

The poses are very much up in the air. I can certainly convert the ones that are for Dusk only. The ones involving the horse are just not cooperating; the PFE does not do nice things with Harry's poses at all. And if I can get the cowboy hat to work, I'll try to do those, and if not, I'll adjust the cowboy hat poses for using with Dusk only and NO hat.

I just wanted to give the heads up there - I know some folks really are just after the skin, so no worries there. But the poses are still up in the air. In the future, I will probably build the Dusk poses inside of Poser first and then just import them to DS, as it's much easier to bring Poser content to Studio than it is to bring Studio content into Poser.

There are definitely no worries here. I normally do my own morphs with HW dials, and a lot of my own poses. I can totally relate going the other direction. It is sometimes a challenge to convert what you do in one program to the other. I just think your map work is gorgeous!!

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks Pen and Miss B :) Seliah did a wonderful job on Nataani, and I hope she has great success with it :flower02:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sorry for taking so long to reply here!

I'm just glad people are liking him. :)

Sky, I like that a lot. It definitely suits him. Really nice job on the poses and expressions there. :D

skylab

Esteemed
Hi friend...glad to do it. I was having trouble figuring which clothing would work on him and still look good...a couple things I tried were going to need tweaking...had it been Poser, no problem, but with DS, I don't yet know the tricks and shortcuts, so I just went with the shirtless model, like relaxing at home...it worked for this particular project :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wow, you posted this yesterday and it's already 2 pages long. I hate being late to the party. Anyhow, congrats on the new figure. Great to see a figure with a non-traditional body and face shape. Hope it does well for you.

Hi Darryl. :) His development thread was pretty long, so I think he was a high-interest package to begin with. That might explain the quick arrival of hitting the second page.

I just wanted to leave a note and clarify here, that Nataani is not a new figure. He's just a dial-spun morph and skin texture set for the Dusk figure. I know you probably understand that difference, but I have run across many folks who don't quite understand the distinction, so I wanted to clarify that, just in case someone like that happens on the thread here.

I agree that he hardly looks like Dusk anymore, though. That's not exactly a bad thing, I think. I really view all base figures as just that - a base. They're a base template upon which to build. They need some life breathed into them, and then they come alive for us. ;)

There are definitely no worries here. I normally do my own morphs with HW dials, and a lot of my own poses. I can totally relate going the other direction. It is sometimes a challenge to convert what you do in one program to the other. I just think your map work is gorgeous!!

Yes, when I buy a character package, I'm usually NOT buying it for the morphs. I buy it for the skin. I normally prefer to morph my own figures for obvious reasons, as a storyteller. ;)

The conversion is just really a matter of my needing to really learn the Poser material room. This is doubly difficult for me, because I can't really use the program for my own artwork. It is incapable of handling the kind of scenes I build, whereas DS has no problems with them at all (and this is how I ended up a DS user in the first place).

It's mostly just materials that need to be done at this point. Poses are up in the air yet, but they should be easy enough to either convert, or rework them a little bit to suit. He definitely won't have the horse poses. But I think I can get most of the Dusk-only ones converted over with little trouble. And I already do have his INJ/REM done, thanks to Satira's help in the Poser software thread.

For me the biggest/hardest part of a conversion from DS to Poser really is the materials. I'm struggling with it on the beach baby clothing textures, too. I just can't stand the material room, and it makes my brain explode. I don't understand it, and I can't work with it very easily. I just kind of stumble around until I have something that looks acceptable (even WITH tutorials!)... and that can take me a very long time. I'll get his Poser version done eventually. It's just going to take me some time is all. :D

Hi friend...glad to do it. I was having trouble figuring which clothing would work on him and still look good...a couple things I tried were going to need tweaking...had it been Poser, no problem, but with DS, I don't yet know the tricks and shortcuts, so I just went with the shirtless model, like relaxing at home...it worked for this particular project :)

Mmm.... Nataani's morphs are a little tricky with clothing in some situations, depending on his pose and the clothing involved, yes. Studio usually does a pretty good job of having the clothing auto-follow whatever morphs are dialed into the figure. If you're getting excessive poke-through there's a couple of things you can do in DS to help with that.

1 - Apply a smoothing modifier.
-- Load the clothing, and get it conformed (Fit-To) your morphed Dusk.
-- Now, in the Scene tab, select the clothing item that is experiencing poke-thru.
-- With the clothing item selected, go up to the top of your DS window. Click on Edit --> Figure --> Geometry --> Apply Smoothing Modifier.

Usually, that is sufficient to get clothing to fit a morphed figure. Sometimes, you need to adjust the Smoothing properties, and increase the number of Smoothing Iterations and/or the number of Collision Iterations (this is found in the Parameters tab under "Mesh Smoothing").

If the item is a prop item, applying a smoothing modifier should instead be done via Edit --> Object --> Geometry --> Apply Smoothing Modifier

If you get an error when applying the modifier, it means the item already contains a smoothing modifier, and you can further adjust the properties of the smoothing via the Mesh Smoothing category in the Parameters tab.

2 - Apply a Push Modifier.
-- Just like with the smoothing; you want to click on Edit --> Figure --> Geometry --> Add Push Modifier.
-- It will ask you to give a name to the push modifier if you want to. I usually just leave it with the default name myself.
-- Push modifers should be used gently when doing so on clothing. By default, it will apply the push modifier with a value of 1.0; I find that usually values between 0.10, and 0.30 are plenty sufficient to take care of some stubborn poke-thru. All this does is push the clothing mesh a little further away from the skin. So be gentle ont he values, or it will look like Dusk is wearing a clown suit instead. ;) Push modifiers, once applied, will be found in the Paremters tab under "Mesh Offset."

Just as with the Smoothing Modifier, the menu location depends on what type of item you're applying the modifier to. Base figures are applied via the Edit --> Figure menu, while prop type objects are applied via the Edit --> Object menu.

3 - Adjust the morphs in the clothing.
-- DS usually auto-applies the figure morphs to a conforming clothing item once it's conformed. Sometimes, with some shapes, I find that locating a particular morph (it will be shown in grey colored text) and increasing the value of it on the clothing item can help deal with poke-thru. So if your figure is making use of a "bulky" body morph, then select the clothing item and look for "bulky" or "PBM_Bulky" or something like that, and increase the value of it a little bit.

Likewise, you can get rid of the imprinted abs structure on the males by reducing the muscle-related morph values on the clothing as well.

-------------

Those are a couple of little tricks I use for fitting clothes to a stubborn morphed figure. :) There is also the d-forms, but that's an item I'd want to cover in the Software forum, as it could rapidly derail the thread here if I got into the how/when/why to use them here. LOL

Hope this helps. ^_^

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks for the tips Seliah. Next time I've got a day to play in DS, I'll try this. I was going to use the tank top that comes with Dusk, but, and I don't know how to say this other than say it...it's not a Natanni thing, but a Dusk thing....the straps to the tank top take a bit of an odd slant when following his shoulder musculature. In a close-up render, it was going to give me a twitch just looking at it...haha...and I thought, well, it's much more appealing to be shirtless than deal with the clothing. But perhaps some of the tricks you've shared will remedy that problem. As always, your expertise saves volumes of trial and error :)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I love your banner and promo images Seliah!! Uber fantasic job on this character! Congrats!! I sort of like his mats on just Dusk also!