• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Can you guess what it is yet ? :)

Thanks everyone! bit of googling seems to suggest the cream tank might be one made a company called Granby.
So I've used that a basis and made a start on that....
tankbase.jpg

...obviously will add legs and relevant pipe work.

eclark1894

Visionary
Thanks everyone! bit of googling seems to suggest the cream tank might be one made a company called Granby.
So I've used that a basis and made a start on that....
View attachment 66847

...obviously will add legs and relevant pipe work.
Are you still with PoserDirect or Sparkyworld? I'm getting a bunch of 404 pages and not sure if I should delete your entry from the directory.

1611067481190.png

Both and please don't delete - the poserdirect site changed a lot last year. Sparkyworld hasn't changed at all.

Mainly the store has now totally gone.
Partly as wasn't making anything.
Partly as I've got more into community arts and wanted to go into a different direction.

But also because running a store on your personal site can be counter productive to getting your work seen by other people.
For example, many larger 3d sites don't allow linking, or even mentioning, to freebies if your site has any form of store.

sitepages.jpg

With freebies, yes some pages where dropped. But those freebie files haven't been deleted , instead (as the image shows) some are now direct downloads from the category (buildings, sci-fi etc..)pages. With the option (via an icon) to view an image of that freebie.

Other freebies, typically the larger or more complex ones, now have their own pages. The page filenames haven't been changed from the old version of the site.

I redesigned it this way for 2 reasons. It's faster for people to find/download things and it's quicker to update it from a static offline database.
Hope this helps

and tonights...

TANK01.jpg

...and yes got a bit carried away with the detail here :)...
TANK01A.jpg

...note I've included the little black and yellow shape thing in what I think is a indication gauge, plus a suitably suitable warning label:roflmao:

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
"Jupiter Mining Corporation" is the only bit I could read.....isn't that the one off of "Red Dwarf"?

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
The black and yellow thing on the heating oil tank is a float. It would normally only have a single aluminum disk. The float is a simple way to show how long you have before your pipes freeze due to lack of heating oil. The measurement lines on the glass dome are in 10s of gallons. Your white cap is just that. A threaded pipe cap. Normally galvanized metal. It covers the opening to fill the tank. The other tank by the way is kerosene/lamp oil. I grew up with a wood stove to heat the house. I remember with great jealousy growing up those tanks and the trucks that came every month or so to fill them. It meant that the owner had an oil fired furnace. Lucky lucky people.
...note I've included the little black and yellow shape thing in what I think is a indication gauge, plus a suitably suitable warning label

McGyver

Energetic
Nice detail work mrsparky, I used to have one of those tanks (not the same brand) in my basement where the coal used to be stored up until the 60s... presumably before coal the house was warmed by dinosaur farts... it’s a very old house.

The float gauge on mine was a little different, but the inclusion of the breather vent and it makes the tank look spot on.

Not to disagree with the previous post, because all building and safety codes are different, but the white cap on an outside tank is usually a one-way vent valve to let out air as the tank is filled, it shuts instantly if the tank is overfilled.
In the instance of an indoor tank, the vent is outside, connected by a pipe.
When a tank like that is being filled it usually whistles loudly... and that’s why the fuel delivery guys would love showing up at 5 o’clock in the morning on a Saturday...
Boy, was I glad to see that nasty, smelly thing go when we converted to natural gas.

And sorta, but not totally OT... Looking at those reference photos of that particular building and keeping in mind events of the past two weeks or so... Geez, today feels like a huge burden is lifted... in fact it snowed early this morning and was cloudy and miserable looking outside... But now almost symbolically on cue, the sun has come out and the snow is melting, implying a new and promising day as history unfolds on the television while I’m writing this.

Nothing is certain, nothing guaranteed, but hell... I’m feeling so much relief right now.

Cheers mrsparky.

Thanks both for the input on the float gauge. Also handy to know what that other tank is.

I thought from the pictures found online that it was glass with printed lines/text.
Which would be easy enough to do with a transmap, but I find transmaps really hike render times, so I try to avoid them where possible.

I also think that modelled detail kicks the rear of transmaps and textures.
However theres a pay off there in a higher polycount.
Especially if that modelling involves any form of text.

Fine for stuff that needs it, or is really obvious, so not good for a tiny part.
So then I'll try and pseudo-model parts, to give the illusion of something being there.

Which, in this instance hasn't quite worked. So I've rejigged that slightly, turning the disc's into rings. Yes it's not perfect, but I think a nice balance.

gauge.jpg

I also know what you mean about old "tech" :) My grandparents place was wood fires, with a large cooper bowl for heating water and power courtesy of the Canadian army. An army that left a truck behind after WW2, so my grandad jacked the truck up onto blokes and removed the tires and rear body.

Leaving the chassis, engine and cab. A large belt ran to the back wheels, which turned some form of generator. Another bonus came by opening the shed doors and connecting another belt to something like a wheat threshing machine.
Something that gave Health and Safety kittens back then :)

McGyver....

So oh true and I just wish our nation has that kinda positivity to look forward to.
I especially like how Joe has put diversity centre stage.

Unfortunately over here we had people who believed by voting leave things would revert to an idealised form of the 50's.
One where everyone who wasn't white and heterosexual would be forcibly returned to the mythical land of "gobackhome".
Where everyone lived in pretty thatched cottages, rode around in steam trains and we could even win at football.

Even more unfortunately they scraped in and now we've got empty supermarkets and theres's something bad in the air which ain't a virus.
A stinking culture created by hypocritical leaders who look like badly made muppets, one which encourages people to report and turn on each other. Which increasingly isn't about stopping this damm bug, but something to get pleasure from that.

Fortunately, some of us ain't gonna give into that darkness, we're gonna support each other and get through this.
Yes we might bend a rule or too to do that, but we'll do it with a smile :)

DanaTA

Distinguished
I also know what you mean about old "tech" :) My grandparents place was wood fires, with a large cooper bowl for heating water and power courtesy of the Canadian army. An army that left a truck behind after WW2, so my grandad jacked the truck up onto blokes and removed the tires and rear body.
Did the blokes have to go to the hospital afterwards? :p

Dana

McGyver

Energetic
At this point you probably couldn’t care less about the fuel gauge float, but these are examples of what the glass and indicator float looks like in general... I’ve seen lots of different variations in indicator shape and color which is visible in the glass tube, the actual float is in the tank, attached to the indicator via a long rod which pushes it up or drags it down as the surface level rises or falls.
I’m sorry if this is TMDI (too much damn information) but in case you are interested, here are some pix...
From what I’ve seen of your work, you seem very detail oriented (building models does that to ya’) and I know I like finding out what a nubbin or bobamahoositz sticking out of something in a photo I can’t decipher is...
83282516-28DA-46C0-B78B-407BCC2C8B63.jpeg

0C3E9989-0389-4ED3-82D7-E0622842547C.jpeg
AC8E68CA-517C-42B2-AEC4-51471DC9B071.jpeg

I wouldn’t worry about the ”glass” being too clear, as it’s actually plastic and outdoors it usually gets a little to very cloudy or opaque-ish over time.

Separately from that, I’m sorry about the situation where you are, I hope it improves soon... I believe it will as these things always go in cycles with humans... we have a bad habit of waiting till the water is up to the deck rails before we start bailing it out... things get better, then people get complacent and it backslides a bit... hopefully as time goes on future generations will decrease and eventually eliminate the backsliding.
One can only hope.

(For some reason I can’t find the emojis, so imagine a smiley face at the end of that sentence... a hopeful looking one)

Dana - nope...usually the pub :)

Or better still, a now sadly decreasing part of English culture, the Working Mens Club.

Which as any Brit of a certain age knows, involved men in flat caps quaffing warm beer and smoking rolled up ciggies.
While children where fed on babycham, mars bars and crisps. :)

Actually no this all helps, it's a good escape from the real world right now.
It also taxes the brain as well, if I can ever find it..and my wacom.. buried under the junk on my desk.

Talking of wacoms and gauges, as I really can't find the wacom tonight, the rough mouse sketch shows a construction idea for this part.
Instead of modelling in all the detail, I thought why not have a few sections, then define very small material zones for them.
Hope it makes sense.

gaugedraw.jpg

Which I might use on the other tank, which is tonights WIP and apparently is called an L42.
Correctly guessed by parkdalegardener as a kerosene tank.

Long working day, so this is only a few hours flesh out rather than the usual detail work.
That's going to come with the fuel pump, which will probably be the bottom right gas pump style due to polycount and time.

L42.jpg

And yes you got me there, years of modelling has bought out the inner detail nerd.
Though I'm not at the river counter stage yet, well I hope not!

BRW - click smilies to access the emojis.

As for the situation, yea us humans are often never to good at helping ourselves or remembering past history.
I just hope we do soon as tonight it felt like being in a police state.

Yep seriously, went over to help a friend move house, something that's allowed and she needed the help,
My town was fine, but over there where more cops than people around,
Got stopped twice and buzzed loads of times.

Something I never thought we'd ever experience in the UK.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Yeah; oil tanks could only be placed outside when I was young. Home owner's insurance would not allow otherwise. They were simpler than that piece of art which Sparky is making. Agree on the old non-uv protected plastic. It turned tobacco yellow and cloudy but was better than the glass covers that the oil company guy kept breaking allowing snow melt into the tank. They had to change them. Home owner wasn't allowed to.

Simple 5 minute mock up with Poser Prims shows the basic construction of the ones I know. I see those in the pictures above do not seem to show a drain to remove sludge or drain the tank.

Attachments

• tank.png
    tank.png
    408.7 KB · Views: 123
I wouldn't call it art ;) ..but I will be adding a pipe at the end of the tank.
Mostly because manufacturers images show it, but I also found a news photo which appears to show one.

endpipe.jpg

As for the tanks themselves, personally I''ve never seen anything like these ones in the UK. Our outside domestic heating oil tanks are either square/rectangular metal ones or green plastic ones. Green or white are the most common colours for the metal ones. Don't know about maintenance or breakage issues, but there's often news reports about how oil theft is a big issue for the owners of these tanks.

Petrol (gas) station tanks tend to be buried and often get forgotten about, which can make them rather un-environmentally friendly.