• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Building my portfolio

Dan30

Adventurous
Thank you all very much. I think a little bit of grain isn't always bad, Szark. As far as I noticed, some people add it intentionally, to fade the CGI look. I am glad you like it.:)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Lovely re-interpretation :). And the kids on the squirrel's adorable!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ooooo!!! I do like this second go much better than the first! Gives a lot more openness and sparkle to the air and the whole environment.

And yes I am one who most definitely uses "texturizer" in Photoshop as the last step on almost all of my own personal work as I want to go for a more painterly look to my work over photorealism. Then calibrated and printed on a digital fine art paper stock like Hahnemuhle Bamboo one can get a very deep and rich effect.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Beautiful scene Dan, and I think the graininess adds to the "mist" look of the scene. Very well done. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
And yes I am one who most definitely uses "texturizer" in Photoshop as the last step on almost all of my own personal work as I want to go for a more painterly look to my work over photorealism.
It's been a long time since I've done "just" 2D artwork, but Texturizer used to be my fave filter, both in my old Paint Shop Pro versions 6 and 7, as well as Photoshop versions 5.5, 7 and eventually CS2, especially when I was making tiling textures. ;)

Dan30

Adventurous
Thank you so much everyone. I guess inspiration is key , as I felt inspired to rework that WIP. I do miss a ride out at sea, now that the summer is nearing...

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
It's been a long time since I've done "just" 2D artwork, but Texturizer used to be my fave filter, both in my old Paint Shop Pro versions 6 and 7, as well as Photoshop versions 5.5, 7 and eventually CS2, especially when I was making tiling textures. ;)

Yes a very handy filter in PS- I use the sandstone setting at various scales, depths and angles depending on the piece and it's size.

Szark

Awesome
Don't get me wrong Grain is good but from my experience the image tells me it needed more cooking time. The sampling looks lowish and noticeable under the gulls wings. But hey I am nit picking but it comes form a good place. :)

Dan30

Adventurous
Szark, what can I say, you have eyes of a hawk. Indeed, that's the spot where grain is most visible....if magnified enough. But don't get me wrong. I always appreciate a constructive critique.
That particular image took close to 5 hours to cook on my machine,which I considered enough for the intended purpose. I think it also got amplified along with the size reduction and conversion to jpeg, so I could post it in the forum and gallery. My personal perception is that most of the time, depending of the intended purpose of course, technical perfection is less important than the artistry and emotion conveyed through a particular art medium. This is what moves us in the end.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
My personal perception is that most of the time, depending of the intended purpose of course, technical perfection is less important than the artistry and emotion conveyed through a particular art medium. This is what moves us in the end.

Beautiful image. And I applaud your view on the technical perfection end of things, I wish I could emulate it. This is just a beautiful image, and I can see a lot of technical skill that went into it. It's funny, I didn't notice the graininess, but I noticed some pixelation on the rigging of the ship, probably because I was trying to get rid of some similar edges in a render I was working on and I can't always let go of the aiming for technical perfection aspect of things.

It's also interesting because I think different people will see different things like that depending on what they work on in their own artwork. Had I not just been trying to get something like that out of a render of my own, I don't think I would ever had seen it. Also this isn't so much meant as a critique, just a reflection on what we see in our own work, and how that reflects on what we see in others work.

Szark

Awesome
Dan I cannot argue with any of that. 5 hours man that is no time for me. I am used to 10, 15 and longer not because lack of skill but lack of horsepower, sorry GPU power. :)

Szark

Awesome
Hey I am not happy but until I can get a new rig I am stuck with it...it's more of an acceptance of the situation.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yup, transparencies are the bane of any (and all) 3D renders.

I think the longest render I had with Superfly was about 3 hours, but I cringe every time I read someone rendered an image "overnight" and it wasn't done when they woke up in the morning. ~sheesh~

Most of my renders now are around 30-40 minutes, but then again, I don't have a GPU so leave Branch Path Tracing unchecked, which probably helps.