Building my portfolio

Discussion in 'It's About the Art!' started by Dan30, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Szark

Szark Energetic

a bit grainy but a cracking scene

2. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Thank you all very much. I think a little bit of grain isn't always bad, Szark. As far as I noticed, some people add it intentionally, to fade the CGI look. I am glad you like it.:)

Rae134 and RAMWolff like this.
  3. Alisa

Alisa HW3D QAV Queen Bee Staff Member QAV-BEE

Lovely re-interpretation :). And the kids on the squirrel's adorable!

Dan30 likes this.
  4. CWRW

CWRW Extraordinary HW3D Exclusive Artist

Ooooo!!! I do like this second go much better than the first! Gives a lot more openness and sparkle to the air and the whole environment.

And yes I am one who most definitely uses "texturizer" in Photoshop as the last step on almost all of my own personal work as I want to go for a more painterly look to my work over photorealism. Then calibrated and printed on a digital fine art paper stock like Hahnemuhle Bamboo one can get a very deep and rich effect.

RAMWolff and Dan30 like this.
  5. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Beautiful scene Dan, and I think the graininess adds to the "mist" look of the scene. Very well done. :)

Dan30 likes this.
  6. Miss B

It's been a long time since I've done "just" 2D artwork, but Texturizer used to be my fave filter, both in my old Paint Shop Pro versions 6 and 7, as well as Photoshop versions 5.5, 7 and eventually CS2, especially when I was making tiling textures. ;)

7. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Thank you so much everyone. I guess inspiration is key , as I felt inspired to rework that WIP. I do miss a ride out at sea, now that the summer is nearing...

CWRW likes this.
  8. CWRW

CWRW Extraordinary HW3D Exclusive Artist

Yes a very handy filter in PS- I use the sandstone setting at various scales, depths and angles depending on the piece and it's size.

9. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Loved the ship elsewhere, love it here just as much; just had to find it.

Dan30 likes this.
  10. phdubrov

phdubrov Noteworthy Contributing Artist

Fantastic work!

Dan30 likes this.
  11. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

Love the remake too.

I add Fibers 2 as a Pattern Overlay using the Layer Style to my final merged layer.

No one could ever accuse me of going after photorealism :wink:

Dan30, Miss B and CWRW like this.
  12. Szark

Szark Energetic

Don't get me wrong Grain is good but from my experience the image tells me it needed more cooking time. The sampling looks lowish and noticeable under the gulls wings. But hey I am nit picking but it comes form a good place. :)

13. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Szark, what can I say, you have eyes of a hawk. Indeed, that's the spot where grain is most visible....if magnified enough. But don't get me wrong. I always appreciate a constructive critique.
    That particular image took close to 5 hours to cook on my machine,which I considered enough for the intended purpose. I think it also got amplified along with the size reduction and conversion to jpeg, so I could post it in the forum and gallery. My personal perception is that most of the time, depending of the intended purpose of course, technical perfection is less important than the artistry and emotion conveyed through a particular art medium. This is what moves us in the end.

14. Gadget Girl

Gadget Girl Extraordinary Contributing Artist

Beautiful image. And I applaud your view on the technical perfection end of things, I wish I could emulate it. This is just a beautiful image, and I can see a lot of technical skill that went into it. It's funny, I didn't notice the graininess, but I noticed some pixelation on the rigging of the ship, probably because I was trying to get rid of some similar edges in a render I was working on and I can't always let go of the aiming for technical perfection aspect of things.

It's also interesting because I think different people will see different things like that depending on what they work on in their own artwork. Had I not just been trying to get something like that out of a render of my own, I don't think I would ever had seen it. Also this isn't so much meant as a critique, just a reflection on what we see in our own work, and how that reflects on what we see in others work.

Dan30 likes this.
  15. Szark

Szark Energetic

Dan I cannot argue with any of that. 5 hours man that is no time for me. I am used to 10, 15 and longer not because lack of skill but lack of horsepower, sorry GPU power. :)

16. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

Yikes! I'd die if all my renders were 10 or more hours! I grumble when it just takes an hour or so.

RAMWolff likes this.
  17. Szark

Szark Energetic

Hey I am not happy but until I can get a new rig I am stuck with it...it's more of an acceptance of the situation.

18. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

I feel your pain, for it is mine as well. 15 hours seems lightning fast... :(

Szark likes this.
  19. phdubrov

phdubrov Noteworthy Contributing Artist

My longest was ~70h... So many transparencies... :cry:

Szark likes this.
  20. Miss B

Yup, transparencies are the bane of any (and all) 3D renders.

I think the longest render I had with Superfly was about 3 hours, but I cringe every time I read someone rendered an image "overnight" and it wasn't done when they woke up in the morning. ~sheesh~

Most of my renders now are around 30-40 minutes, but then again, I don't have a GPU so leave Branch Path Tracing unchecked, which probably helps.