• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Building my portfolio

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Fabulous work Dan, I look forward to seeing what you create with the HiveWire products!

I so tried to figure out Cararra so I could use Howie's products ... several of which I purchased! They were so amazing. But alas, Carrara and I just couldn't see eye to eye.

Szark,
Harpwood Trail (The Harpwood Trail for Daz Studio | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D) is a fine product made by a reputable artist, Howie Farkes, well known in the Carrara and DazStudio community...
In that particular image I just added the fallen tree and the ivy covered one from the right. Nothing else was altered... Yes, that is a carefully crafted product, like everything else he did so far.
And those leaves in the foreground, close to the camera were intentionally left there. I thought they add additional depth to the scene.

Dan30

Adventurous
Satira,
Thank you kindly! I look forward to see everybody's renders using the great creations of this Hive.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Satira...I knew that I wasn't going to be able to use Carrara before he even brought them out. I took one look and thought uh uh that's just too hard. Funny how some programs are like that...*mutters...blender...cough but others you just open and can get the basics happening fairly fast. I did ask when I first saw them if it was possible to get them into DS...unfortunately the answer was no...:bee:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I had the same problem Satira, as I had bought several of Howie's gorgeous sets, and I used Carrara during the 8.5 open beta, but my problem wasn't using the software so much as their shader system. It drove me crazy every time I tried to view a shader, because I had to choose to "edit" or "create a new" shader. What, you can't just view it?

Anyway, I even modeled a lit candle from a tutorial, and it wasn't too hard. The lighting and cameras took a little work to get used to, but texturing was totally out of the question. I'm so used to the nodes found in Poser and DS, and some are just non-existent in Carrara, or they're there with different names. I just thew up my hands and gave up. Oh well. Again, I guess it's what you get used to. ~shrugs~

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...and you like Blender so it makes sense to me that Carrara wasn't as hard for you as for me Miss B...I think it's just the way my brain works...doesn't like Bryce and Poser either although I'm persisting with Poser at the moment.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Great stuff Dan. Blows me away with what can be accomplished in DAZ Studio these days! :)

Dan30

Adventurous
RAMWolff,
Thank you man. I think most any "lower grade" software can be used to produce great art, with a little knowledge, a lot of patience and the magic ingredient - WORK.
In the case of DAZStudio, since they added the Iray renderer, the realism moved up a notch for sure. Glad you like my images.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yep...and you like Blender so it makes sense to me that Carrara wasn't as hard for you as for me Miss B...I think it's just the way my brain works...doesn't like Bryce and Poser either although I'm persisting with Poser at the moment.
A lot of folks are that way Pen, so you're not in the minority. I got into 3D graphics 15-16 years ago with Bryce 4, and hung out in the Bryce forum at Renderosity for 4 1/2 years before I joined DAZ and RDNA, after finally picking up Poser 5. I just stick to it and try my best. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. That's life, as the saying goes.

Szark

Awesome
RAMWolff,
Thank you man. I think most any "lower grade" software can be used to produce great art, with a little knowledge, a lot of patience and the magic ingredient - WORK.
In the case of DAZStudio, since they added the Iray renderer, the realism moved up a notch for sure. Glad you like my images.
A large bulk of my DA gallery was done with a Dual Core Intel 2 GB RAM Vista 32 Bit. At one time I had 4 GB or RAM until I got this 64 bit Quad Core Win 7 set up. Man it taught me a lot about rendering layers, postwork and streamlining scene building and general optimizations. Oh and really long render times for everything.

Dan30

Adventurous
Thank you kindly Mini, you have quite a collection of precious renders yourself. They send me back to my childhood days...Glad to see your inner child is there too.:flower04:

Dan30

Adventurous
A reinterpreted seascape. Hope you like it.
"Full sail into the morning mist"
upload_2017-4-4_11-51-4.jpeg