• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Building my portfolio

Dan30

Adventurous
More or less in the same vein with the previous one... Called it "Making a long term deposit" :laugh:

upload_2017-9-26_14-4-5.jpeg

Hornet3d

Wise
More or less in the same vein with the previous one... Called it "Making a long term deposit" :laugh:

View attachment 30521

Love the render, that has great character and really tells a story. The fog effect giving depth is a really nice touch.

You wouldn't happen to have a map to go with the scene, a nice big one with X marking the spot - there is so much in my wish list at the moment so such a map would be really handy.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Cool Dan! Your work is always amazing! I like the "warm" one best- for some reason it makes me think of gold bullion with that coloring and since we are dealing with pirates it makes sense to me:) Also it seems to add more drama too - I think in part because it highlights the shadowed areas better so one can see their expressions more readily and hence one feels the story more.

Awesome!

Hornet3d

Wise
Cool Dan! Your work is always amazing! I like the "warm" one best- for some reason it makes me think of gold bullion with that coloring and since we are dealing with pirates it makes sense to me:) Also it seems to add more drama too - I think in part because it highlights the shadowed areas better so one can see their expressions more readily and hence one feels the story more.

Awesome!

If I had to choose I would go for the warmer one as well. While the later one is great the first one just conjured up vivid visions of a hot afternoon on a desert island.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I like first one better.
Reasons:
1. Overall mood - gold haze
2. Sand - in first version it seems not only more golden, but also wetter. As if waves go all the way to the rocks -> more dynamics.
3. Golden haze over the plants adds to humidity perception.

Overall: 1 - hot noon, 2 - colder morning.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate it.:) It reinforces the idea that many times the first hunch is usually better...

If that was a hunch then it was spot on, you should trust your instincts more. I'd be happy if my first hunches were even close to being right:).

Dan30

Adventurous
Thank you so much everyone for showing such an interest in my work.
So, following the feedback , I worked on this image quite extensively, and I think I found a happy compromise...Moreover, I improved it in several areas, even added footprints on the sand to better integrate the foreground characters.
The first image was post-worked globally only, so I didn't like it that much in terms of the overall effects. This evening I took my time and (very ) patiently retouched it in ON1 Photo Raw , which is an amazing program by the way, allowing for very sophisticated and comprehensive local adjustments. And now I can say I am happy with the result. I hope you like this version best too.

upload_2017-9-28_3-45-44.jpeg

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I would vote for the most recent one, but I'm color blind, so my vote doesn't count... ;)

I just like the overall lighting better, and, of course, the added little details do dress it up quite nicely. I would love to know how you get the reflections to sparkle off the waves like that. Do you use a normal map on the water geometry, or is the water plane that you use actually modelled that way? If so, where can I buy it... :)

Dan30

Adventurous
@VortigensBane VB, thank you for your comments, glad you like this version better. As for the water, in this case its a plane that comes with the "Paralia Beach"set, by an artist called SHaaraMuse3D over at Rendo. I used some of my own bump and displacement maps , I am not using the same things all the time. In this particular case I wanted a map that emulates the parallel rolling waves of a beach. The important thing is that the plane geometry is dense enough to be able to accurately displace the map in Iray.
The water shader is a tweaked Daz Uber Iray Shader of my own. The settings of it is slightly different, depending of the illumination conditions as well as if I use HDR's or sun and sky. Getting those reflections to sparkle like that is a matter of fine tweaking the bloom settings in the renderer settings and of course the light and/or camera angle. So no definite recipe , mostly trial and fine tuning and a lot of patience. :) And in the end, things can get quite dramatically enhanced with some post-work. I actually find it quite amazing as to how much alteration you can cause to an image with some appropriate skill set.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Hmm. I might even have that one. Bump and displacement maps I have. Bloom settings are not my friend, but good to know that's what to fiddle with. It promises to be even more of a patience test than LAMH was, since for me render times are still what takes the longest. I still can't post-work to save my life, so perhaps I should practice with that a bit too... :(

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
AWESOME!!! Love it!! LOL ........... Alessandros new great white!! You reef setting looks so realistic!! LOL Poor shark!! LOL

Now there is an injured seagull perched around here somewhere!! LOL

I also know there is a hammerhead going to be released soonish.