• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Anime Dawn Begins!!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hey Ken, just curious as I've not seen anything from the company only from many users on this...do you know if they have actually knocked any back? I would have thought that it was unlikely that anyone had offered them there actually...

Yes, @guaiamustudio told me he has tried to sell Dusk products at the DAZ3D store, and was told that is not allowed. You can ask him for the details.

I thought I said earlier that the users in the forum had evened up, but I'm also seeing a few more character and clothing creators who are doing both. Lully recently released a make up set for Dawn in DS and previously she has been Poser only items. Then again maybe I've just gotten better at converting between the two programs.
I've been at the other end of the spectrum and struggling to learn Poser and must admit it has taken me much longer to get Diva ready to submit as I want to do it for both programs.

It's good that more people give it a try and see how it goes. I can only tell from my own store, where the DS sales don't seem to be picking up even after 2 years. I always had this impression that maybe the great majority of DS users are naturally shopping at DAZ, where there is no lack of native contents made just for them. In general, I don't seem them complaining about lack of native figures or contents, as opposed to Poser users - for the obvious reasons. One could easily jump to the conclusion that this would easily explain why my DS sales are so low. It could all come down to the possibility that DS users are just happy at home.

At least there is no lack of abundant free Poser tutorials out there. I have one at DeviantArt that includes 13 chapters to help people to get started with the basics. The Poser PDF manual is also a great source when you get stuck with something. Just today I didn't know how to fix only a small portion of a morph, and the answer was right there in the manual. ^^

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, I'll admit that I'm certainly happy enough with the Genesis series. Not that happy with a lot of the DAZ animals, and growing less so. It was the possibility of centaurs based on Dawn and Dusk -- as well as a plausible baby model which had me biting the bullet and picking up the human figures over here.

Of course once I had them, there wasn't much reason not to try to at least collect enough resources to make them usable.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's always interesting to learn why people decide to try something else. Female figures have always been the pinnacle in this market, and also the most sold when it comes to contents. Not surprisingly, Dawn was the first HW figure, and thanks to Chris' talent, all other figures are her mesh descendants - even the HW horse. That never ceases to amaze me. ^^

Last edited:

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I came to Hivewire first because I'm a freebie junkie. Then I used Dawn and found I liked the way her joints didn't deform (I hadn't made the move to Genesis in any great degree) and with some characters and clothes she became my goto female figure. And Dusk and Luna and Harry are my goto's as well now. V4 comes out to play sometimes still when I want one of my long dresses in a render. If it ever comes to pass that they convert properly, HW figures will be all I use.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Lorraine Are you a DS user?If so, does you decision to use HW figures was because you think the rigging is better than the Genesis one?

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I tried DawnSE for the first time today and no words can describe how surprised I was by all of her shaping power.

The topic has shifted in several ways; I want to voice my opinion on some of the shifted topics but don't want to take away from Anime Dawn.

as short and sweet as I can,

DS user here only because when it comes time to buy software, Poser is on the list, just not at the top, soon hopefully. Love the work I’ve seen come from Poser! As a content creator products do need to be supplied to both worlds. Nothing wrong with using one program or the other, or both, or even something else like Houdini FX now that they have a free version.

Breaks my heart to hear that the kids don’t want to play with Dawn. They don’t know what they’re missing. I want anime Dawn to change this. I don’t think anime Dawn should be rushed out the door either. After what I seen the DawnSE do today I know anime Dawn will live up to her hype, Chris just needs more time to prefect her.

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I tried DawnSE for the first time today and no words can describe how surprised I was by all of her shaping power.
The topic has shifted in several ways; I want to voice my opinion on some of the shifted topics but don't want to take away from Anime Dawn.

In a way, this is not detracting from the subject because Chris was considering releasing Dawnime as a stand alone figure, instead of a morph for Dawn. We are very interested on the opinions of new users who have recently adopted Dawn, their first impressions, and also some of the reasons why they have decided to give her a try. :D

Personally, I would like Dawnime to be released as a morph for Dawn. But it's always good to hear the opinions of others. ^^

Lorraine

Hi AoM, we do have a habit of shifting topics here and running with it. I'm one of the culprits usually ;)

@Lorraine Are you a DS user?If so, does you decision to use HW figures was because you think the rigging is better than the Genesis one?

I am a DS user, Ken, and I'm not really sure if Genesis is better or worse than Dawn et al. Part of my decision to go with her in the first place was nothing to do with the figure herself but more to do with the extreme nastiness that ensued upon her release. I really didn't like that and I pulled away from the place where it was happening in disgust. I do not like seeing a large established company trying to destroy a competitor in any market and my normal reaction is to support the underdog when I can. And when I find I LIKE the underdog's product and marketplace that makes it easier. Perhaps if I had stepped onto the Genesis train it would have been different, I don't know, but I've stepped onto the HW train and have no regrets. Certainly the forums have contributed to my happiness here, it is so nice to be somewhere nice and civilised. So sorry I can't give you a better answer as to your question.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Lorraine Hey, I came to HW3D for the exact same reasons, even though I am coming from Poser and not DS. Personally, I don't agree with DAZ3D policies and marketing, and when I saw it was Chris Creek who was starting HW3D, I've decided to join the underdog. When I said I took a huge leap of faith, what I meant was that I had no idea how Dawn would be as a figure, but I already knew Chris' from his previous works - I think most people who have used Poser/DS for long enough do, even if they don't know he was involved. I was already having issues with DAZ policies even before Genesis existed, so it's not something new. It's not just about dealing with other companies, but also, and perhaps mainly because of how they have dealt with independent CAs.

Not only I was happy to join the underdog, but I was also happy to know I was contributing to a greater good - bringing back respect and communication with all the people involved. In the meanwhile, I have discovered Dawn was such a great figure to work with, which has provided me with more possibilities than I had with V4. Not only that, but HW3D has allowed US to participate on the making of Dawn, which is something I was never allowed to do before with other companies. Dawnime is now raising the bar once again, and I am eager to explore new grounds with her. ^_____^

Last edited:

Lorraine

Wow, that's amazing, Ken, we could be clones!! Everything you said is what I felt and me a DS user who COULD use Genesis natively. The attitude of management percolated down to the end users and encouraged the nastiness. The whole thing stuck in my craw until it finally choked me. Hivewire is a better fit for the both of us, though you come at it from a creating content perspective and I a using content.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I was a genesis user and have a heap of content for it. I'm talking about the original Genesis though not the later versions. I do like Genesis 3 but I equally like Dawn and Dusk.

I didn't like some of the decisions made by Daz in relation to the release of Gen2 which is probably why I looked at Dawn initially but I stayed because I liked the figure.

I particularly like the ethics that Hivewire is based on About Us

and the thought of healing the 3D community. I didn't like the rift that developed with the release of Genesis even though I loved the figure and what it was capable of. Dawn has the same capabilities as she is based on the Genesis Platform in DS.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have a bunch of stuff for the original Genesis as well Pen, and I like the characters. I liked DS 4.0 Pro and still have it installed. I don't think the rift really started until Genesis2 and with Genesis3 not being able to be used in Poser via DSON, well that really widened the rift a lot. It's too bad because the Genesis3 characters are a lot better looking than the Genesis2 characters, but I've given up updating DS so not getting involved.

Now, of course, with Dawn and Dusk, I don't feel like I missed out on anything, because they have so much potential. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Based on opinions I have heard so far, it seems like it doesn't take long for one to realize Dawn's potential once they give it a try. And based on the opinions I've heard when Dawn was just released, she didn't have much morphs, and many disliked her default texture. All of that has been resolved now with Dawn SE, but people who have tried her before may have given up a bit too early in the game, missing prime time. When Poser 11 was getting close to release date, I've seen these people at the RDNA forums quickly dismissing Dawn as a viable figure for Poser, based mostly on first impressions about her early stages of development (few morphs + dislike default texture), not knowing that those are things of the past.

It seems to me that what Dawn needs is a new release, and Dawnime might be a good opportunity for that. Dawn needs to show her new face and capabilities to those who had the wrong impression in the early days. This is what Chris was saying when he suggested Dawnime being released as a stand alone figure. If you detach the stigma associated with "Dawn", it might give people the opportunity to rediscover her for the potential we all have already seen and experienced.

Personally, I would immediately convert Dawnime into a morph injection and keep it as a morph for Dawn SE, which is what existing users would probably prefer. But what if a stand alone version could ALSO exist to let people "rediscover" Dawn for what she really is nowadays? I can't help but wonder what would had happened if Dawn SE was the FIRST version released back in 2013. Would that have changed everything?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I would also convert her to a morph. Interesting question though but I doubt will ever know.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I know it doesn't help to wonder what could had been, but if Dawnime were a stand alone figure, that might be a chance to have the question answered in a different way. The problems is that this would be kind of inconvenient for most of us who already have Dawn. I guess we agree on that.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well as to a new release, the Dawn SE bundle turned up on Rendo within the last week or so. It's fairly pricy, but it looks good. Don't know whether it's generated many sales though.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am a bit surprised Dawn SE has only showed up at RO last week. I thought it was there since last year. Rosity is one of the largest stores out there, but I wonder if people know what Dawn actually represents, especially to those who are still using V4 (like I was)? I have closed my RO store and account 10 years ago, so I don't know what's going on there anymore. I wonder what's the talk on Dawn in their forums? I wonder if it has a stigma attached like I've seen at RDNA? If so, maybe a stand alone Dawnime could be sold at those places, with a morph version sold here?

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I was surprised to see it at all. I see the occasional item built for dawn, or resource set designed for her. And once or twice something for Dusk or Luna. But upon the whole it's very thin dribs and drabs. Although freebies come up from time to time.

I've never spent any time on the forums over there. So can't say anything about that.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hmm, that might be related to the HW3D exclusivity deal, where royalties are cut down if we sell elsewhere. I remember Rosity also had a deal, where they give you extra advertisement privileges if you give them exclusivity. If not for that, vendors would probably also sell their products in other stores as well, making them more widely available. So sometimes vendors have to choose where they want to sell a product, except for Content Paradise, which has no exclusivity deals. That's why products I sell at CP are not here and vice-versa.

In a way that's bad, because if RO customers see Dawn, but no contents, chances are they will not buy it. I think that's the reason why the majority of Dawn contents are concentrated here. That might be one reason why it may not matter if Dawnime is sold as a morph or a stand alone figure, because people need to see contents to adopt a new figure, and it's mostly concentrated here. Based on what I've read from above, people who come here already have Dawn, so a stand alone version of Dawnime may serve no purpose in the end.