• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

13th Annual Songbird Remix Open Rendering Season Contest

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Open Rendering Season Contest 2019
HiveWire 3D and Songbird ReMix

"Nighthawks" by Satira Capriccio (2018 Grand Prize Winner)

Contest begins Tuesday, June 18th, 2019 and
Ends on Sunday, July 28th, 2019.
Winners will be posted on Tuesday August 6th, 2019.

HiveWire 3D and Ken Gilliland express their gratitude to the companies and individuals who are showing support by co-sponsoring this contest with their willingness to donate prizes. We appreciate all of you very much. Many thanks to: Renderosity

rendo-logo-black-650x114.png
Prizes Current Prize packages valued at over $1,470.00!

Grand Prize (currently a $628 value prize package)

1st Prize (currently a $553 value prize package)

2nd Prize (currently a $279 value prize package)

3rd Prize (currently a $160 value prize package)

Honorable Mentions – usually 5 awards given
  • Any Ken Gilliland product. (approx. $10-30)​
  • HiveWire owned content ($20)​

2019 Judges

The judging for the contest will be conducted by the staff of Audubon California. The staff includes a dedicated group of individual ranging from scientists and activists to people simply passionate about saving birds and our planet. Audubon's mission is to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds, other wildlife, and their habitats for the benefit of humanity and the earth's biological diversity.

"Feed the Birds" by Penne's from Heaven (1st Prize Winner 2018)
1. Imagery must contain a visible and discernible Songbird ReMix bird product (See acceptable list of products). Imagery to be submitted may be still or animated. Any 2D or 3D Software may be used. The size of the still imagery should be no smaller than 800 x 600 pixels and no larger than 2000 x 2000 pixels and saved in .jpg format. Animation entries should be posted on YouTube and a link to the animation provided on the Contest Entry form.

2. Two entry submission per entrant. Note that there are risks in submitting two entries. You could end up competing against yourself and diluting votes to your submission.

3. You may enter a piece that has been posted elsewhere (such as another forum, contest, etc). You may not enter a piece which has been previously entered in this specific contest (such as last years' entry of the 2018 Open Rendering Season Contest).

4. Images may not contain nudity. Please remember judging will be partially focusing on the use of the Songbird ReMix package. The winning entries will be selected by a Judging Panel - The Panel's decision is final. Judges will perform independent reviews of the submissions. The Judges (and Ken) may not submit entries.

5. The finished products must be solely the creation by the entrant. All artists agree, by entering this contest, to allow HiveWire 3D and Ken Gilliland to use their entries to promote future contests held, and to display the result of this contest. The Artist will remain the intellectual property holder of their entry images. Images and animations will not be used for any commercial purpose without the express written consent of the artist.

6. Entries will be accepted beginning June 18th, 2019. All entries must submitted by July 28th, 2019, 11:59pm GMT. Any entries submitted after that date will not be considered. Award winners will be announced on August 6th, 2019. Prize winners must supply their real names, email addresses, and mailing addresses for prize distribution. Monetary amount of "Shopping Spree" can only be used at Ken Gilliland's, Nature's Wonders & Songbird ReMix's Store and Downloads (Ken's CafePress, Zazzle and RedBubble stores). Unused amounts of "Shopping Spree" prize are considered non-redeemable.

7. Judging details. Judging is conducted by a three member panel and done in secret (so judges don't influence each other). Judges will select their 5 favorite pieces and assign point values to them. (7pts=1st choice, 5pts=2nd choice, 3pts=3rd choice, 2 pts=4th choice and 1pt=5th choice). Once all 3 judges submit their choices, the points are tabulated and prizes awarded.

Szark

Awesome
look forward to seeing what is produced this year. I won't be entering again this year either due being very busy, some might be happy about that. LOL (I know pretty presumptuous of me but gotta blow my own trumpet occasionally)

cinadisilver

Admirable
The rules are changed. Only two images instead of three. Darn. I worked on images all winter. I guess I will hold them a while to decide which to enter.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
This reminds me of when I had Chris, Paul, Nerd3D and wife and Ryverthorn stay with me for the Siggraph week to their surprise they were served mostly 'bird' for meals by me.

I eat chicken, turkey and occasionally pheasant... but draw the line at Quail and Squab.
Oh I know!!.......... LOL Mouthwatering stuff!! I have seen the images in the old thread perhaps it has been moved over here............. your desserts look marvelous also!! My mom was a homemaking teacher for about 30 years she would for sure compliment you on your cooking skills and presentation.

I have tried quail, but ...... it's not as good as chicken in my opinion and a little chewy quite a few varieties of those where I live, but the issue I had was while I was eating it there were a few stray dove shot pellets I had to pick around. Pheasant I hear can be extremely delicious, but they are mostly up north from where I live in Texas. I hope your cockatiel was not offended! I have been learning some about them from Arki she has a couple that like fresh herbs parsley and such and then there is the morning ritual. Morning Treatment very adorable.

Last edited:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
This reminds me of when I had Chris, Paul, Nerd3D and wife and Ryverthorn stay with me for the Siggraph week to their surprise they were served mostly 'bird' for meals by me.

I eat chicken, turkey and occasionally pheasant... but draw the line at Quail and Squab.

Boy we were treated like kings and fed the best food for every meal by our own personal Chief Ken. Good times.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Lisa and I heard back from Renderosity today. As you all know by now they've been very busy with the acquisition of Poser. But the news that would apply here is that they will again be supporting our wonderful annual contest here.

Woohoo! We will post the details when we have them.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Lisa and I heard back from Renderosity today. As you all know by now they've been very busy with the acquisition of Poser. But the news that would apply here is that they will again be supporting our wonderful annual contest here.

I posted about it on Facebook on my page and shared in several groups and Josje and several others also shared. Response has been good so hopefully more entries for you guys. I have not as of yet posted at Deviant Art.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Boy we were treated like kings and fed the best food for every meal by our own personal Chief Ken. Good times.

Those were good times... I'm trying to remember if it was you or Paul that slept in our "haunted" house?

Woohoo! is right. Thank-you Renderosity (and of course, Hivewire3D) for supporting the contest.

Szark

Awesome
ok I sneaked in a quickie combining Waterfowl Vol 5 - Geese and Flock Formation Materials. pushed all on my 11GB Vram and 26 GB of normal RAM to render out the first layer, second layer for the flying birds.

Can we see the entries like we could in the past?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I downloaded the first seven submissions and will upload them this weekend after "shrinking" them. If any others get submitted before I upload, I'll grab them also.