• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

McGyver

Energetic
of course everyone use the name 59th Street Bridge and for many it will be forever just Queensboro Bridge

I was thinking at first it was 59th Street Bridge , but then noticed the top 4 "ornaments" and only Manhattan Bridge have it . It is my spot for photography between the 2 bridges
I grew up four blocks from Queens Plaza, on Crescent Street and up until my stepdad died three years ago, I used to go there frequently to visit him.
When I was a kid I used to walk over or ride over it on my bike practically every day... at the time the city would close off at least one of the outer roadways for pedestrian traffic, so as a kid in the late 70s/80s it was a great place to ride a bike (I managed 50+ mph on my crappy old Schwinn bike on the south roadway on the Queens side… but who knows how accurate bike speedometers were back then)… it was also a great place to hang out on hot summer nights.
I’ve got tons of stories about the dumb things me and my friends used to do up there… not the least of which included climbing places that would probably today created major news stories (some kid climbed somewhere minor on the either the Williamsburg or Brooklyn bridge a few years ago, and that ended up on CNN)… (it’s actually not that hard, all the bridges are full of access ladders and walkways for maintenance people and 90% of the bridges are perpetually being painted or repaired, so there are usually even more ladders and things left around… the only difference is nowadays there are cameras everywhere).
The bridge in the string art is definitely the Manhattan bridge because it has the spherical structures on top of the anchorage towers, which none of the other bridges have.

Interesting side note about the Manhattan and Queensboro bridges… The Queensboro bridge construction was overseen by Gustav Lindenthal (who also designed Astoria/Queens Hellsgate bridge, which the famous and iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge is modeled after), the unique look of the Queensboro bridge is attributed to Lindenthals design input… he also oversaw the construction of the Manhattan bridge a few years later and his original designs would have made it an eyebar suspension bridge similar in construction to the Queensboro, but the Manhattan Art Council fought to change it to a wire based design which was more established and believed to be more aesthetically pleasing…
If Lindenthal would have had his way, the entire look of the bridge would have been different… the anchorage towers would have been stone with interior space for meeting halls and other uses (similar to the “Bridgemarket” structure on the Queensboro’s Manhattan side)… all with an ornate modern French design. A totally different look.

Lots of people, even those that live in NYC, get the bridges confused… especially the three Brookly/Manhattan linked bridges… it used to drive me nuts when they were misidentified in movies and TV shows.

For folks not familiar with them…
The Brooklyn Bridge has arched stonework anchorage towers and complex wire suspension cables…
The Manhattan Bridge has very straight vertical steel truss work anchorage towers with the ornamental balls at the top and wire suspension cables…
The Williamsburg Bridge has steel truss work towers that are wider at the bottom and also uses wire suspension cables…
The Queensboro Bridge is all steel truss work… technically an “eyebar” cantilever bridge as opposed to a suspension bridge… it also has stone bases for the anchorage towers and ornamental ironwork on the tops.

There are a bunch of other bridges that connect Manhattan to the rest of the world… I think it’s around 20, but only 16 of them are decently large and one is actually just for pedestrians… each is unique and has its own special history and convoluted story if you are into architecture or history.

eclark1894

Visionary
I grew up four blocks from Queens Plaza, on Crescent Street and up until my stepdad died three years ago, I used to go there frequently to visit him.
When I was a kid I used to walk over or ride over it on my bike practically every day... at the time the city would close off at least one of the outer roadways for pedestrian traffic, so as a kid in the late 70s/80s it was a great place to ride a bike (I managed 50+ mph on my crappy old Schwinn bike on the south roadway on the Queens side… but who knows how accurate bike speedometers were back then)… it was also a great place to hang out on hot summer nights.
I’ve got tons of stories about the dumb things me and my friends used to do up there… not the least of which included climbing places that would probably today created major news stories (some kid climbed somewhere minor on the either the Williamsburg or Brooklyn bridge a few years ago, and that ended up on CNN)… (it’s actually not that hard, all the bridges are full of access ladders and walkways for maintenance people and 90% of the bridges are perpetually being painted or repaired, so there are usually even more ladders and things left around… the only difference is nowadays there are cameras everywhere).
I remember two things about the last time I was in New York. The tv show Law and Order was on tv and very popular, and kids were doing something called "elevator surfing", which I think was riding on the top of elevators as they went up and down in a building. I remember thinking that was pretty stupid until I started hearing about teens that were copying a movie scene where they would lay out in the middle of a road while cars approached. I'm going to drive myself crazy now trying to remember the name of that movie. :sneaky:

I did a quick Google search. The name of the movie is "The Program". The dare is to lie out in the street to prove you have nerves of steel. While looking this up, I found that some kids in the UK were doing this a few years back.

Last edited:

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Lots of people, even those that live in NYC, get the bridges confused… especially the three Brookly/Manhattan linked bridges… it used to drive me nuts when they were misidentified in movies and TV shows.
Brooklyn/Manhattan bridges are misidentified often , and they looking so different from each other.
The most bridges I use is Brooklyn to visit my old neighborhood/friends and Williamsburg bridge to visit Greenpoint for some polish flavor ;)
I love bridges in general , always beautiful subject for photography day or night .

Thanks @McGyver for the interesting note

Hornet3d

Wise
I only get the one on the right , Dick Dastardly ?

Dick Dastardly was the only one I recognised. Due to a lung infection in my early years I was able to do a fairly good impressionism of Mutley, I still can but of course no one recognises it theses days.

Hornet3d

Wise
One of the earliest shows I can remember was Highway Patrol in fact my father used to tell the story of how much a fan I was. Apparently I used to hate going to school, which didn't change as I got older, and was such a pain he promised me a toy Highway Patrol outfit with a gun, warrant card and the like. To win the prise I had to go to school without playing up for a whole week. I did and he kept his promise and bought me the toy. Much to my dads dismay my improved behaviour ended the moment he handed the toy over.

eclark1894

Visionary
Here's a toughie for you. It's alright if you don't know the exact number.
Who had the most hit songs, The Monkees, The Partridge Family or the Archies? There IS a correct answer.
Well, no one tried to name which artists had the hit songs, so here I go...
The Monkees topped the charts with 20 hit songs.

The Partridge Family had a whopping 16 hit singles,

And believe it or not, the Archies had 12 hit songs on their debut album, The Archies in 1968.

eclark1894

Visionary
When I was growing up, my neice loved to buy these buy the pack like these. She'd sprinkle salt on this and , inexplicably, watermelons. I didn't understand either one. The pickles didn't need the salt, and it just made the watermelons taste... salty.

1627333635873.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Now I've got Simon & Garfunkel's 59th Street Bridge Song running around in my head. ~Feelin' Groovy~

robert952

Brilliant
When I was growing up, my neice loved to buy these buy the pack like these. She'd sprinkle salt on this and , inexplicably, watermelons. I didn't understand either one. The pickles didn't need the salt, and it just made the watermelons taste... salty.
I love a good Kosher dill pickle. I never bought it in this type of package. When I am at a deli I get one straight from the 'barrel.' (Ok it's a jar.) I never put salt on it though.

I found I like fried pickles. Breaded and deep fried. They are harder to find, but a couple bars around here serve them along with Zaxby's chain. Of course, around here we deep fry anything including Oreo cookies.

As for watermelon, I occasionally add a dash or two of salt. Just bit to balance the sweetness but not enough to make it salty. If you have a sensitive palette to salt, you may need much.

eclark1894

Visionary
I love a good Kosher dill pickle. I never bought it in this type of package. When I am at a deli I get one straight from the 'barrel.' (Ok it's a jar.) I never put salt on it though.

I found I like fried pickles. Breaded and deep fried. They are harder to find, but a couple bars around here serve them along with Zaxby's chain. Of course, around here we deep fry anything including Oreo cookies.

As for watermelon, I occasionally add a dash or two of salt. Just bit to balance the sweetness but not enough to make it salty. If you have a sensitive palette to salt, you may need much.
Fried pickles is State Fair food to me. I like pickles, but I was never crazy about them. You'd think I would like them more considering Mount Olive Pickle factory isn't that far from Raleigh, where I live. In fact, we used to pass within a few miles of it when I was a kid and we were on our way to the beach.

Salty watermelons was just crazy. And I like my neice! :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmm fried pickles. Don't think I've ever seen those, though I'm sure they're good.

When I was a kid my mother used to take me to "visit the cousins", though they were her cousins, so my 3rd cousins??? Anyway, her cousin's husband owned a deli, and they had pickles in a barrel, and I always, ALWAYS, had to have one or two. However, I don't like "dill" pickles, so mine always had to be sour pickles, or I wouldn't eat them.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Hmmm fried pickles. Don't think I've ever seen those, though I'm sure they're good.

When I was a kid my mother used to take me to "visit the cousins", though they were her cousins, so my 3rd cousins??? Anyway, her cousin's husband owned a deli, and they had pickles in a barrel, and I always, ALWAYS, had to have one or two. However, I don't like "dill" pickles, so mine always had to be sour pickles, or I wouldn't eat them.
My father always made pickles with dill herb , no matter what kind of pickles he made. I actually love dill herb on fresh young or mashed potatoes, we growing it in our garden so used to it since my childhood

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've never had dill on anything else, so may very well be good. I just don't like it on pickles.

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember these???!
I admit it, I used to like disco. I actually started going out to my first discos while I was a senior in high school. I remember I ran into this girl who was a classmate of mine. I danced with her a few times, but it felt weird being in school with her on Monday. Naturally I had to start dressing the part. Sorry to say though that the shoes were the first things to go. How women walk in heels, I will never know.
1627416879670.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember these??!
I had a mood ring for about a hot minute in the 70s. No literally, about a minute. I didn't really like wearing jewelry. Still don't. I bought my first wrist watch back in the 70s. A Timex. I over wound it and broke it. Something tragic has happened to to every watch I've ever tried to wear. I can keep it in my car, but it's doomed when I put it on my wrist. :)

1627417751828.png

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Remember these???!
Platform shoes. I remember them. I had a pair that where more like boots, with a zip up the size.(early/mid 70s)

What where those (baggy) trousers, the one's with large pockets stitched onto the outside of the legs? (early 70s)

eclark1894

Visionary
Platform shoes. I remember them. I had a pair that where more like boots, with a zip up the size.(early/mid 70s)

What where those (baggy) trousers, the one's with large pockets stitched onto the outside of the legs? (early 70s)
Do you mean Bell bottoms? I used to have picture of my best friends sister. She was wearing what we used to call elephant trunks, because the pants legs were HUGE!
1627421887981.png

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I have been searching.
I think they where called "Oxford bags". but cannot find a pic of the type I remember.
The Bell-bottom pants were originally a functional design, worn by those who worked on boats since the seventeenth century.
We called it just Bell pants .

This is why the Navy wears bell bottoms, and it’s not for fashion

Attachments

• origin.jpg
    origin.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
The Bell-bottom pants were originally a functional design, worn by those who worked on boats since the seventeenth century.
We called it just Bell pants .

This is why the Navy wears bell bottoms, and it’s not for fashion

Well, I admit that I knew the Navy wore flared pants, I didn't know there was a functional reason for it.