• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I was thinking that today, this shows us how precious and fragile life is.

I also keep thinking of my parents who were both Depression Era kids. We wasted Nothing in our house and they both had this weird acceptance of everyday things that they could have changed and a fair bit of pessimism about everything that I never understood until now.

My parents die long time ago. I was a student when I loose my whole family. Parents, brother. Yes, live is very fragile.
My mother was what we call today an Ecologist. She would slap me immediately if I would call her like this, but still LOL. She waste never anything. Fastfood was her personal enemy . She always cook anything fresh. She loved her garden, nature, animals and teaches me everything she know about herbs and how to use them. She was in any aspect an optimist. She lived after the motto, when live gives you lemons, make lemonade.
And this is how I live too. Optimist ,but still stand with both feet on the ground.
Any crisis can bring out when it is over something positive. We just have to grab it and make the best of it.
I wish really the world will learn and take a different path.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I am hoping that this will lead to a change in the whole "disposable society" mentality - especially since that is causing shortages of essentials. I have hated how things that once would have been repaired, fixed, maintained have become cheaper to buy a replacement...that's fine for some things, but not TVs and Stereos, and Computers, or Ventilators, Heaters, or anything costing over $50 in my opinion. I don't want to have to pay for a new phone when my only 2 year old, $400 phone breaks (ok, I don't buy $400 smartphones myself, but illustrating and example).

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I am hoping that this will lead to a change in the whole "disposable society" mentality - especially since that is causing shortages of essentials. I have hated how things that once would have been repaired, fixed, maintained have become cheaper to buy a replacement...that's fine for some things, but not TVs and Stereos, and Computers, or Ventilators, Heaters, or anything costing over $50 in my opinion. I don't want to have to pay for a new phone when my only 2 year old, $400 phone breaks (ok, I don't buy $400 smartphones myself, but illustrating and example).

Could not agree here more. You really point out today's issue. Here in France, we have to print out each time we leave the house for some reason, ( walk, sport,shopping ,work etc...)we need to print out a so called " Attestation de déplacement dérogatoire" . Well cost at first a lot of paper, a lot of printer ink ,or toner. It is a full A4 site of writing. Now we had to buy a new printer, because on my old one we run out of toner, and because all the stores are closed, except big supermarkets, but they are limited to Electronic stuff and their corresponding Accessoires , we decide to buy a small cheap printer. 49.90 € . Now we run out 2 days ago from ink too. So we had to buy new ink for this printer. 47.50 €....:somad: So my husband want to go cheap and buy instead the original Ink for Canon, a cheaper no name for 30.00 € . I warned him that this will go horribly wrong, but since when they listen anyway? Well it went wrong, the printer did not take the Ink, and he had to go back and buy the original one. For this price, we could almost buy two new printer. Insane.

Hornet3d

Wise
The power of being connected to the world via the internet is part of what I think will assist us to come out of this stronger than before. It is my hope that when forced to stay in place, people will become curious about what they are told is true and do their own research. I always remind myself that ‘there’s a bit of truth in everything’ when doing my own research. Discerning what’s true though, it’s challenging with so much mis- and dis-information out there.

Human nature, being what it is, will always create an Us vs Them scenario and then force us to pick sides.

Your example of Amazon is a good one. They provide great service. I love that I can get items to my door quickly. I love that I can read reviews to make purchasing decisions. I love that I can pay one yearly fee and get free shipping as well as other perks.

I don’t love the fact that Amazon pays nothing in taxes. That its owner is a multi-billionaire (do people even realize how much a billion dollars is?) who treats workers like robots, paying minimum wage or slightly better. After some pressure they are now apparently paying $15/hour which is still starvation wages. Some employees sleep in cars because they cannot afford rent. I hate that employees work hard to make Amazon all of the things I love but the owner gets all of the benefit of that leaving the employee stressed out, burnt out and ‘easily replaceable’.

So in this case, for me, the Love/Hate for Amazon is somewhere in the middle. It’s up to me as a consumer to put pressure on them however I can to let them know that while I love what they provide me, I am not at all okay with how they provide it.

FYI We (the HW Team) are discussing whether we want to limit the scope of this thread because we simply do not have the resources to moderate discussion topics that can become heated. While we gather here primarily for 3D, there is a whole lot more that connects us than what we create in 3D. The conversations, friendships and expressions of support that develop from forum topics like this are proof that we help each other by sharing. We are in the midst of an unprecedented moment in our lifetime. How we go forward from here is going to depend on all of us paying attention and doing our part to create the world we want to live in. We are all in this together, after all.

I couldn't agree more with your comments in relation to Amazon and I too have the same love/hate relationship with them. I won't comment further as I do not want this to be about Amazon the issue is much wider and much bigger.

I also agree that I think the power of the Internet will help see us through which is why hope that the HW team will think long and hard before they limit the scope of this thread, even though I totally accept the concern over it. So far the thread has not become heated although, emotional maybe, but that is also understandable. When many of us around the world are self isolated or in lock down the importance of the forum is more important than ever before. I found it particularly inspiring to hear that, though sadly some posters have had the virus, that they had recovered. I know the media has constantly made it clear that most people catching the virus will have no or minor symptoms but somehow having a personal statement that they have survived the virus has far more impact, for me at least. It is a bit like the wider media, it is hard to react to massive numbers but putting a face to the victims really hits home.

I apologise if I have stepped out of line at any point but I am genuinely worried, scared even, for everyone and particularly many here that I have come to count as friends. I have come to know many quite well through this forum and also know that so many are not in the best of health and not in a very comfortable position financially, knowing how they are coping in such dire times uppermost in my mind.

I will leave they HW team to make their decision and know they will come to any decision based on what they feel is best for all. Whatever the decision I would like to thank every member of the team for providing the forum and also coming up with ideas on how to assist in such hard times with ideas like the stay home - spread hope challenge.

Hornet3d

Wise
I am sorry if my previous post gave the impression I thought this was a hoax, I do not and that was not my intent.

I liked your post and at no point did I come to the impression that you were implying it was a hoax. Tragic as it there is a danger you only see the dark side of this and little mention is made of the number of those who have survived the virus, I think your post was an attempt to address this. I thought it made a serious point.

I have tried desperately to provide accurate information on what is happening and keep the situation in perspective but when I see and 29 year old nurse on CNN who has written her last will and testament and states that her hospital has only 15 oxygen masks and running out of painkillers I quite simply get terrified, not so much for my self but for the wider community no matter where they live in the world. I try not to let that terror creep into my post and I apologise for the times when I fail.

Here in the UK we they are forecasting a lot of sunshine for the weekend and counties on the coast are desperately asking people to stay away, the same counties that normally rely on tourism to keep their countries financially viable. This truly is a sign of the times.

Just in case this threads gets closed down I would like wish everyone here the very best for them and their family and I desperately hope all will stay well.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
@Hornet3d
Wish the same for all. Stay safe and healthy.
Drink every evening 2-3 cups of fresh Thymine tea. It helps to disinfect you gorge. Push the imun system and much more. As you maybe know, this plant they called in the past, The Antibiotic for the poor. It has a really very good effect on cold/flue.

Take care all :balloon03:

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
if it’s $10 in a brick and mortar store, then it’s $15 or more on prime,
Where do you live? Because for me it is the opposite. Me in my local hardware store: "Do you have an item that I need?" Salesperson: "We don't stock it but we can order it for you. It costs $20 and will be here by Thursday." Me (muttering under my breath): "No thanks, I can order it from Amazon for $10 and have it delivered to my house by Wednesday."
But, yeah, for me Amazon is love/hate too. The whole world is broken.

Hornet3d

Wise
The whole world was broken long before Internet shopping. When you are paying millions for someone to kick a leather/plastic sphere around a manicured field and starvation wages to those that are saving lives, the world is broken. Suddenly many have a different take on those that are saving lives but I wonder just how that will be reflected in their wages when we come out the other side. Call me a cynic but I have a feeling there will be some very short memories. If that is not enough proof how about singing the praises of some massively overpaid people being praised for taking a 30% cut in wages, not forgetting they are not working and therefore not earning it, at the same time those saving lives are putting their own at risk because the system will not or cannot afford provide them with Hazmat suits.

Hornet3d

Wise

I am another one who does not buy a $400 phone every couple of years, or ever for that matter. I do own a smartphone which costs somewhat less than $100 and it is in its fifth year and still working fine for me.

I hate throwing anything away, if it still works I would rather give it to someone who can make some use of it. Last year I had to buy a new circular saw as they no longer made the blades of the correct size for the one I had been using for over fifteen years. Yes the new one is battery powered has a larger disk and is more powerful but I still replaced something that, with the right disk, could cut wood, with something to cut wood.

All being well your hopes will come true, certainly for sometime after this crisis people will have to make do with what they have because there will be little spare cash around but I hope it will go further than that.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My granddaughter with her new mask :)

taigan.jpg

My husband and I are hunkered down at home, planting the garden. It is the same size as in previous years but I bet we take better care of it this year. Our strawberries are already in blossom and have little fruits so looking forward to some edible ones soon. We have 3 laying hens currently and got 11 chicks a few weeks ago because the seller said 20 bucks for all 11 or 4 bucks a piece. Trying to get them all tame now and trying to figure out which are little hens and which are the roos. All but one roo will go to the stewpot unless friends will take them unless I change my mind. I keep telling myself they are not pets... We are in the US in one of the last states to give a stay at home order. And then today I violated it because the hubby was taking a raccoon we trapped last night out to release it and then his truck's battery went dead. So both of us put 15 miles on our vehicles after over a week of no travel at all. My cell phone probably is blinking red for no compliance now.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
hang in there Hivewarriors :flower02:

been over 5 weeks and we still can't get no toilet paper... we were just lucky we had a supply before everything turned upside down..

but it is now getting low! ... getting some from relos interstate so hope is there :cool:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I got lucky this week, as I haven't been able to get toilet paper, or paper towels, for weeks.

Hornet3d

Wise
My husband and I are hunkered down at home, planting the garden. It is the same size as in previous years but I bet we take better care of it this year. Our strawberries are already in blossom and have little fruits so looking forward to some edible ones soon. We have 3 laying hens currently and got 11 chicks a few weeks ago because the seller said 20 bucks for all 11 or 4 bucks a piece. Trying to get them all tame now and trying to figure out which are little hens and which are the roos. All but one roo will go to the stewpot unless friends will take them unless I change my mind. I keep telling myself they are not pets... We are in the US in one of the last states to give a stay at home order. And then today I violated it because the hubby was taking a raccoon we trapped last night out to release it and then his truck's battery went dead. So both of us put 15 miles on our vehicles after over a week of no travel at all. My cell phone probably is blinking red for no compliance now.

My wife and I have always loved the garden, small at it is, but it has taken on a whole new importance since the lockdown in the UK. My wife has always had a great fear of wasps and bees which made sitting in the garden a little stressful so last year we splashed out on a small summer house (the title is to grand it is a shed with windows). It cost us a fair bit and putting it up was hard work. How thankful we are now that we can sit out there when having a morning or afternoon coffee and watch the garden come to life for another year. It is so good to see life and some normality in such troubling times.

Hornet3d

Wise
hang in there Hivewarriors :flower02:

been over 5 weeks and we still can't get no toilet paper... we were just lucky we had a supply before everything turned upside down..

but it is now getting low! ... getting some from relos interstate so hope is there :cool:

Thankfully the restrictions in the UK have improved the situation and while you can cannot guarantee there will be toilet paper on every visit to the shop you can be fairly sure to get some over a few visits. Shame we are so far apart otherwise we would let you have enough rolls to see you through.

McGyver

Energetic
This is an improvised filter mask I made from a knockoff Nerf mask...
27AABB81-0FE6-4339-A73A-EC7A11E04EFD.jpeg

Thats one of my daughters modeling it... it includes a light too... for nighttime looting.. theoretical looting of course, as that sort of thing is wrong and frowned upon in polite society.
0A311C2F-9BAC-452F-A089-7F377183F1EA.jpeg

92289442-ABF4-453F-AA1F-DEF6BE8772EA.jpeg

The HEPA filter material is sandwiched between an inner and outer layer of fine dust shop vac prefilter material...

The material, both the HEPA filter and blue fine dust filter are cut from shop vac fitler bags... available at most big DYI sores like Home Depot and Lowes.

The mask has been modified with a gasket inside to seal off the nose/mouth area... the gasket was made from thin craft EVA foam and self-adhesive insulating weatherstripping foam... I used 3/4" thick weatherstripping, but I think 1" to 1 1/4" would work better for most people. I also added a lower neck strap for better fit...

The advantage here over other improvised masks is the mask has an inner and out section which screws together, allowing the filter material to be trapped between them easily, thus the mask as made can be disassembled and the filter replaced and the rest disinfected... also it affords eye protection too... and it's $5 for the each nerf mask and probably less than $30 for the assorted materials which will make multiple masks and filters... but that varies with the size of the filter bags.

Paintball face masks would probably work equally well... but are far more expensive... $30 - $150 in most cases... versus $5 like the one I used here...

I made this about two weeks back, but there are already so many "make your own mask" instructions out there I didn't think anyone would care.

Sorry to the mods if the images are too large... also I made a similar post at DAZ, but I figured this might be helpful if people were looking for stuff to easily make their own mask from, as some folks can’t sew well and working with hard materials is easier.

I’m expecting a rush on materials now that the government is suggesting wearing masks isn’t a bad idea after all... (Duh)...
So I figured maybe it’s not a bad idea to post this before the crazies start hoarding it all...
Anyway, this isn’t taking away from medical personnel and it uses materials that should filter out infected materials suspended in the air (coughed out lung funk)... if made properly...

Hope it helps or gives ideas.

eclark1894

Visionary
Not bad. I have sleep apnea, and decided to use one of my full face masks as a face mask. Was going to use it to day, but I actually haven't set foot outside today. Maybe tomorrow. I also have jury duty coming up scheduled for next Wednesday, I was going to try and get out of it anyway, but, well, I hate to say it, but I think I may have an excuse that day.

McGyver

Energetic
Not bad. I have sleep apnea, and decided to use one of my full face masks as a face mask. Was going to use it to day, but I actually haven't set foot outside today. Maybe tomorrow. I also have jury duty coming up scheduled for next Wednesday, I was going to try and get out of it anyway, but, well, I hate to say it, but I think I may have an excuse that day.
Jury duty?! Jeebuz... are they freakin’ kidding... that should automatically be postponed... God, this whole thing has had such a higgly-piggly lackadaisical approach, it burns me up...
Whatever you end up having to do, please stay safe man.

Hornet3d

Wise
This is an improvised filter mask I made from a knockoff Nerf mask...
View attachment 58161
Thats one of my daughters modeling it... it includes a light too... for nighttime looting.. theoretical looting of course, as that sort of thing is wrong and frowned upon in polite society.
View attachment 58162
View attachment 58164

The HEPA filter material is sandwiched between an inner and outer layer of fine dust shop vac prefilter material...

The material, both the HEPA filter and blue fine dust filter are cut from shop vac fitler bags... available at most big DYI sores like Home Depot and Lowes.

The mask has been modified with a gasket inside to seal off the nose/mouth area... the gasket was made from thin craft EVA foam and self-adhesive insulating weatherstripping foam... I used 3/4" thick weatherstripping, but I think 1" to 1 1/4" would work better for most people. I also added a lower neck strap for better fit...

The advantage here over other improvised masks is the mask has an inner and out section which screws together, allowing the filter material to be trapped between them easily, thus the mask as made can be disassembled and the filter replaced and the rest disinfected... also it affords eye protection too... and it's $5 for the each nerf mask and probably less than $30 for the assorted materials which will make multiple masks and filters... but that varies with the size of the filter bags.

Paintball face masks would probably work equally well... but are far more expensive... $30 - $150 in most cases... versus $5 like the one I used here...

I made this about two weeks back, but there are already so many "make your own mask" instructions out there I didn't think anyone would care.

Sorry to the mods if the images are too large... also I made a similar post at DAZ, but I figured this might be helpful if people were looking for stuff to easily make their own mask from, as some folks can’t sew well and working with hard materials is easier.

I’m expecting a rush on materials now that the government is suggesting wearing masks isn’t a bad idea after all... (Duh)...
So I figured maybe it’s not a bad idea to post this before the crazies start hoarding it all...
Anyway, this isn’t taking away from medical personnel and it uses materials that should filter out infected materials suspended in the air (coughed out lung funk)... if made properly...

Hope it helps or gives ideas.

That shows a lot of ingenuity.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Some of the face masks I've seen on Amazon are full face masks. I'm not sure I'd like that.

As far as Jury Duty, if I were you I'd check with the courthouse, because I can't believe they're still open. Then again, I'm speaking of the courthouses here in NY. I don't know what other states are doing as far as that's concerned. Considering I've read that some jails have been letting prisoners go because they're getting sick easily with their "close quarters", I would think Jury Duty, and all other daily routines at a courthouse would be suspended. I can't imagine all judges, clerks, officers and attorneys wanting to conduct a trial wearing vinyl gloves and face masks. :oops: