• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What I worked on today

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I worked some more on this tonight. Extruded in some panel gaps in the main body and the guns and gun swivel parts. Also added some parts for chroming. Drones like their bling too. Made the gun sensors as well.

drone8.jpg

drone9.jpg

drone10.jpg

I have some more panel gaps to do, just need to think about it some more and make sure they flow properly with the lines of the main body. Then it will be the vent holes and antennas. I'm keeping the front face panel detailing until last as I think that will take the most time.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
What does Zbrush remesher do?

ZRemesher converts the poly count to a lower (or higher if you like) density, while keeping all the details. For instance if you have an object that is a couple of million polys, you can lower it to a fraction of that. You can also set areas where you want the most detail retained.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I use it mostly to clean up meshes I create in Marvelous Designer, because the older version I have of MD only does Tris, and I only like working with Quads. One quick run through with ZRemesher, and it's all Quads.

I can Remesh in Blender, but it's not quite as good as ZRemesher, and needs a good amount of cleanup afterwards, where ZRemesher does it all for you. As Bonnie stated, It's also nice because you can set the Poly count, so that if it's too high, you can lower it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I know what you mean. I have a 3-year educational version of Maya, and I'm liking it, but talk about being way out of my price range! I just always wanted to know what it was all about, and a friend told me he had just picked up an educational version of 3DS Max, so I checked, and most of Autodesk's software have educational versions, so I figured, why not? :)

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I know what you mean. I have a 3-year educational version of Maya, and I'm liking it, but talk about being way out of my price range! I just always wanted to know what it was all about, and a friend told me he had just picked up an educational version of 3DS Max, so I checked, and most of Autodesk's software have educational versions, so I figured, why not? :)
Does ZBrush have that? And what effect does an educational license have on the software? I know in some softwares, the educational license means there are limitations on the use, and some of the features are disabled...

Rokket

Dances with Bees
So I have to buy it from a retailer? I can't download it?

I checked. I can download the trial version and try it out for 45 days. But I have to be connected to the internet when I run the program. That sucks. I am on a ship. I am not connected to the internet very often.

And I can't find out the price at all for the student license. What a drag...

Last edited:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Ooof.. even the student version is too much for me... :(

I have to help out my mom and family with her hospital expenses. Her cancer is spreading, and it's eating all of our bank accounts alive. My poor sister has spent nearly $2,800 just in gas since the ordeal started...

Hornet3d

Wise
Ooof.. even the student version is too much for me... :(

I have to help out my mom and family with her hospital expenses. Her cancer is spreading, and it's eating all of our bank accounts alive. My poor sister has spent nearly $2,800 just in gas since the ordeal started...

Sad to hear that, I always think it is a strange world when you cannot afford to be sick.

Hornet3d

Wise
I forgot to say I watched the movie at the weekend. The Mech stuff was brilliant and the view from the sky port was amazing, it looked very like real clouds to me. I think the drones were the real stars, they had actual character and were kind of likeable even though they were baddies. I'm no longer surprised that everyone is making drone artwork and toys.
I'll work some more on mine after my homework and dinner.

Yep I watched the movie this weekend as well, not the strongest storyline and a few plot holes but the tech was interesting and I agree the drones were one of the star attractions.

Hornet3d

Wise
I worked some more on this tonight. Extruded in some panel gaps in the main body and the guns and gun swivel parts. Also added some parts for chroming. Drones like their bling too. Made the gun sensors as well.

View attachment 37169

View attachment 37170

View attachment 37171

I have some more panel gaps to do, just need to think about it some more and make sure they flow properly with the lines of the main body. Then it will be the vent holes and antennas. I'm keeping the front face panel detailing until last as I think that will take the most time.

You sure can model, I love this.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
You sure can model, I love this.

Thanks Hornet. I am going to try finish everything except the front panel tonight. I finally found a great reference pic of the finer details on that panel (grilles, screw heads and other stuff), so I know what needs to be done.
One of the guys in the class texted me last night and surprised me by saying he had finished his drone already, which. When he sent me a pic of it, it was obvious why he was finished so fast. What I was looking at reminded me of a ball with a couple of toilet roll tubes sticking out the back. Without wanting to seem like I'm looking down on his work, I think it's safe to say none of the prizes will be making their way to his house. ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Does ZBrush have that? And what effect does an educational license have on the software? I know in some softwares, the educational license means there are limitations on the use, and some of the features are disabled...
I think that depends on the software company to decide. I've seen software companies insist on you being either a student, or instructor, and you have to prove it before you can get your hands on the software.

A 30-45 day trial is nice most of the time, as that's how I got into Silo, but with any of the Autodesk software packages, more time is needed to get into using all the features so you can make a decision whether to purchase the software.

As far as ZBrush goes, I have no idea whether they have an "educational" version or not, so can't comment on what Pixologic's rules are, or whether the ZBrush version you would get would be fully functional.

Autodesk, however, allows you to download a fully functional version of the software, or at least I haven't come up against anything I couldn't access, but I'm still taking some online classes for Maya, so there may come a time when I hit a wall. So far, so good. My only restriction is, I can't use anything I create with it for commercial use, only my own personal use, but that's to be expected.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
As far as ZBrush goes, I have no idea whether they have an "educational" version or not, so can't comment on what Pixologic's rules are, or whether the ZBrush version you would get would be fully functional..

They have an educational version Miss B, and it is fully functional, and up gradable as too.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
That's good to know Bonnie.
Yeah, I checked into it and posted what I found. I still can't afford even the student license, so it's a moot point. I could download the trial version, but I will lose internet access with my laptop in 3 days. Then the software won't work, so what's the use?