• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
OH MY G.O.D.!
was drinking coffee still in a post bed trance when I scrolled down to this image and almost choked. I LOVE THIS IMAGE. What a freaky looking creature. Are we going to get the option of getting one like it on one of the morph paks for the animals...I say animals because I have no real clue if it is feline or canine or if it resides in some dark place in between!

It Photoshopped. You can see where the components have been layered over each other. Although I am a bit stunned on where they got the teeth.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
nice looking place holder in my book. Wondering here what is the mane made of for the DAZ MilCat1 set? That pretty much looks nice enough to me for my purposes I am pretty sure it is a transmapped mesh though can't swear by it since I have not used it in a while.
I have several hair and beard props etc. offered around the community that look like strands but didn't need hair room access. Is that something else entirely Chris (s0orry just knowledgeable enough to be annoying some times)?

It's transmapped all right. Takes forever to render, and looks horrible from a lot of angles (you can see the rows and layers). It also doesn't pose at all well. But it does look all right from certain angles. No idea what it tries to do in Iray.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
OH MY G.O.D.!
was drinking coffee still in a post bed trance when I scrolled down to this image and almost choked. I LOVE THIS IMAGE. What a freaky looking creature. Are we going to get the option of getting one like it on one of the morph paks for the animals...I say animals because I have no real clue if it is feline or canine or if it resides in some dark place in between!

this guy was the winner of the ugliest dog in the world..

check them out here on Google - eeek!

morphs would be good ;-)

Zaarin

Brilliant
There are some hairs that have been created using microfibers in Zbrush. Neftis and Mec4D have created some of those. Generally they are considered very heavy for many computers to use. It's also what AM used on some of his earlier animals.
Completely off-topic, but I've never understood why there's so few fiber hair products for Poser compared to D|S, given that GoZ for Poser has been a thing for a while now. I'd love to see fiber hair eyebrows, eyelashes, beards, and body hair for Gen4 figures. Yes, fiber hair is a pain in the preview window--just turn it off until you render, where it's actually less resource intensive than the transmapped hair.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming... ;)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have one fiber hair for V4, but never used it because of things I'd heard about it eating up resources. Maybe I should try it sometime.

Zaarin

Brilliant
I have one fiber hair for V4, but never used it because of things I'd heard about it eating up resources. Maybe I should try it sometime.
Turn it invisible while you're setting up your scene, because it's a total memory hog there, but it will generally use fewer resources while you're rendering because trans maps cost a lot of computing time. In my personal experience, fiber hair is probably overkill for long hair, but it's really the only way to get really convincing short hair.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, the one I got is a very straight short hair. It's Neftis' Sharon Hair for V4 and the original Genesis/V5.

I may have to load it up and try it out in the next couple of days. ;)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
@Rea, the Lynx must be related to the cheetah, it can't retract it's claws either.
When we lived in Thayer, MO on the MO AR border, some men in Mammoth Springs were running illegal pit fights.
They also trapped bobcats to pit against the dogs.
One time they trapped a lynx and put it in with a big bulldog that had never lost a fight.
That cat just rolled onto it's back, belly up and waited till they dog grabbed it by the throat.
Then it brought it's hind legs up, raked the claws down that dog's belly and disemboweled it.
People were so shocked that before they could recover the cat escaped.
The law found out and broke that little place up sending a few folks to jail.
It made the news big time.

We had bobcats visit our yard often and there was one down here that lived in our garage till we started locking the door...lol.

Harimau

Eager
@Rea, the Lynx must be related to the cheetah, it can't retract it's claws either.
When we lived in Thayer, MO on the MO AR border, some men in Mammoth Springs were running illegal pit fights.
They also trapped bobcats to pit against the dogs.
One time they trapped a lynx and put it in with a big bulldog that had never lost a fight.
That cat just rolled onto it's back, belly up and waited till they dog grabbed it by the throat.
Then it brought it's hind legs up, raked the claws down that dog's belly and disemboweled it.
People were so shocked that before they could recover the cat escaped.
The law found out and broke that little place up sending a few folks to jail.
It made the news big time.

We had bobcats visit our yard often and there was one down here that lived in our garage till we started locking the door...lol.
The lynx is not closely related to the cheetah. Like all other cats it can retract its claws. That is the the reason its claws are sharp enough to disembowel the dog. The claws are retracted to keep them sharp. If they are not kept retracted they will be blunt like those of the dog. The claws are only exposed when the paws are stretched out when the cat is ready to strike. The cheetah is the only cat that cannot fully retract its claws and its claws are blunt. This is because it is built for speed (for running and chasing down its prey), unlike all other cats. Even its closest relative the puma has retractile claws.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Regarding the fibre hair it seems there are sometimes good opportunities to use patches of fibre hair where it is placed in certain body areas to give the right effect of fur or hair. Like the DAZ Big Cat has shoulder or scruff and cheek/chin hair and whisker add-ons to give a more realistic look to the figure.
As another example I purchased a figure for M4 called Saw Tooth that has beards....really scruffy face growth in various degrees of length and density. You can see the hair texture on the face as a painted option but when you add the not so dense facial hair prop it looks more normal giving the scary defective mountain man countenance a degree of scariness you might not get without.

Also, I purchased some stuff from Philosophers Egg which offered the same option. Not a dense "wig" but enough to give the impression of beard or goatee. Genital hair props do the same thing so I would imagine not having a full dense "wig" for hair would not b so difficult on rendering resources. There are a few characters at DAZ that did the same thing. Though there are several I have used one that comes quickest to my dead mind, is The Warg or WarHound which has that thick neck scruff for instance. Really effective in adding the fierce unnatural power of the animal.

Philosophers Egg does a really nice goat built on the DAZ sheep I believe and he included a real nice goatee/beard that looks good. So added to the figure with its painted on "fur" texture that little beard adds so much more in adding realism.
Those little details add a lot to a figure w/o having to go wild on the dense body hair thing which is in fact tough on resources.
Just a thought.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Showing early efforts on modeling in the mane for the Lion. Quite a ways to go still, but it's progressing.

leopard297.JPG
leopard298.JPG
leopard299.JPG

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Nice start Chris...should the beard under the chin be close to the mouth? It looks a bit fair back at the minute.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Bottom strips are a place holder and too long anyway. Please don't be overly concerned about what I stated as "early efforts". Generally as I do this work, areas change along the way anyway.

Perhaps I just take it out for now so it doesn't distract.

leopard300.JPG