• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sounds good...does your daughter post at Hivewire too? I hope we see some of the textures she creates...

willyb53

Motivated
She has been busy homeschooling 3 kids (2 of hers and one from her sister). finally her sisters is starting regular school so she can get back to poser. here is a dress she did :D
mini promo.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have been modeling new pants for Dawn using a different workflow that seems to work better than my previous one. Still no pants textures and the rigging is rather rustic. Modeled in 3DSMAX and ZBrush, rendered in Poser with Superfly. The pants go well with the hoodie, here with a new texture.

I am working on a new way to texture things using EZ-MATs to make all parts "modular" and customizeable to any color. This texture can be set to any color at any MAT zone, and the chest decal can be changed, and even shared with my new t-shirt for Dawn. Both use the same textures. :)

NewPants_1200.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No, I wouldn't call that toon. The background looks like the background was run through a watercolor filter in Photoshop, or whatever 2D app you prefer. The character looks like any other 3D render.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
hmmm, yes Miss B, to me it still looks a little "too real" to be classified as Comic or Toon as well.

Art_ofMind, Do you have something you particular in mind you could point us to so we can advise on how you might achieve the look you are after?

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
okay, the render in the above post was a new test done in Iray.
Here is something I rendered just now with 3Delight giving me the look I'm more or less after - at least enough to make me happy.
This render is done with my original lighting and surface settings from back before Iray was out.

6.png

An artist named Greg Horn (direction) style is what I'm after but not trying to (duplicate) his style. I don't think it would easily be done with a straight render, but his style does not look like a photo, does not look like a cartoon, does not look like a render. They look like photos that have been photoshoped to the point where the photo no longer exist.

The reason she is hardly dressed is not to display a half naked woman but to show the skin, the way it is looking rendering on the character.

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Its hard to tell because the lighting is different, but I do find that 3Delight for me gives a more toony feel than Iray (which makes sense since Iray is based on real life lighting).

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
The 3delight one with the black background does give me the look I want, I am happy with that.
Iray, I'm having a hard time learning it, a hard time converting my character to look in Iray as it did in 3Delight.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I hope someone can jump in and help you AOM, I just don't know enough about it to advise. Are you using the HDRi lighting that comes with Daz or the Sun/Sky? You might be able to find a HDRi that will help it look more toony (one that is a basic gradient with sun might work better than a photo like one).

RobZhena

Adventurous
I have been modeling new pants for Dawn using a different workflow that seems to work better than my previous one. Still no pants textures and the rigging is rather rustic. Modeled in 3DSMAX and ZBrush, rendered in Poser with Superfly. The pants go well with the hoodie, here with a new texture.

I am working on a new way to texture things using EZ-MATs to make all parts "modular" and customizeable to any color. This texture can be set to any color at any MAT zone, and the chest decal can be changed, and even shared with my new t-shirt for Dawn. Both use the same textures. :)

View attachment 14845
You have a gift.