• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

MCarr

this is cool but one thing needs to be remembered the sabertooth or of the smilodon species of the animal was twice as large as a modern lion from what comparative studies I have seen and too, because of the size of the huge long sabre teeth the jaw needed a greatly readjusted range, widening the opening to compensate for the teeth. If a sabertoth breed is made from this beautiful cat here I hope that i taken into consideration in its development and not just morphing the teeth bigger. Also need more scruff added perhaps as a transmapped smart prop under chin, base of tail, top of neck and loins. Again simple smart props with god texturing and transmapping would take it farther than most big cat figures I have seen.

Actually Smilodon wasn't much larger than the modern lion File:Smilodon.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But I agree that there would need to be some big changes to the new kitty to make a convincing model and I hope it's doable as I love to do paleo themed renders.

Growing up my fav comic was Ka-Zar and his trusted cat Zabu, which was a comic version of the sabertooth, so another reason I would love a sabertooth version of the new kitty.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
We hear you all on the Smilodon or Sabertooth cat. Good ideas for sure.

Going to post a bit of efforts on our Cougar Morph I've been working on between House Cat work.

Here's where I'm at to date on our Cougar/Mountain Lion/Puma/Catamount/Screamer for our HiveWire Big Cat.

leopard271a.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Still need to scale up the paws and feet a bit. But I'm liking what is going on.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Me too Chris. Thanks for the comparison images. They certainly helped me identify the differences. ;)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Me too Miss B, I couldn't really see them until they were next to each other. I really love the head from the side, I like their short shnoz :)

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
We hear you all on the Smilodon or Sabertooth cat. Good ideas for sure.

Trouble is Chris you’re spoiling us with your latest offerings and the new bar height they’ve repeatedly set. It gets a bit hard to believe you haven’t got four arms and two heads all wrapped up in a thirtysix-hour work day! For me, keep on keepin’ on Bud, especially as there already is a pretty decent Smilodon (fatalis) model out there. Perhaps the smaller Smilodon gracilis would be a future possibility. (around the same size as the Leopard). On the other hand the much larger Smilodon populator would possibly need a Harry the Horse morph (880+ pounds and counting!

Given that the Domestic cat is making such progress the folks might like to give some thought to some of the incredibly beautiful smaller wild cats for the future. The Caracal with its golden fur (there is also an all-black variant) and long pointed, tufted ears, the Ocelot (aka, Dwarf Leopard) and a personal favorite because I once had the great honour of helping feed one at Chester Zoo. Also the Clouded Leopard, the oldest known cat species of all with the longest canines of all cats and remindful of the Sabretooth. Mind you that’s all for the future. For me whatever comes along I’m gonna buy it (in common with everyone else here I suspect!). Looking forward to the Puma. May your shadow grow ever longer! :applause:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I'm sure it'll be available for sale as soon as it hits the store. It's just going to be free to those who already bought the Big Cat product.

BTW, if you haven't already purchased the Big Cat, and IIRC, you'll need the Big Cat to use the Cub.

Harimau

Eager
First off, I am not an artist. I am just a consumer, so I hope I am not unwelcomed here. I have always been interested in 3D art but never had the time to learn. I have recently retired and hope to learn to use Daz Studio - I hope I am not too old learn. Secondly, I have always been a fan of the great cats, extant or extinct, and have just purchased your Big Cat and Panther. I am glad that you are going to do all 8 extant big cats (or rather 9, considering that there are 2 species of clouded leopard) and perhaps Smilodon fatalis/populator. Regarding reconstructing extinct cats, I think the best reconstructions are those done by the paleoartist Mauricio Anton. Check out his web page: chasing sabretooths
and his book: https://www.amazon.com/Sabertooth-L...TF8&qid=1471422561&sr=1-1&keywords=sabertooth
Barbourofelis frickii is another interesting subject, although it is not a true cat but from a related family - It has large saber teeth with matching mandibular flanges to sheath them. It otherwise resemble a stockier Smilodon.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Hi, Harimau, and you are very welcome here at the Hive. We have lots of different folks at all levels of ability and all are welcome. I hope very much that you enjoy your new big cat :)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, Harimau - WELCOME!

It's never too late to learn - what a great thing to take up after retirement (and I'm probably around your age, unless you retired very early and are a lot younger than I am ;)). People here are very friendly and willing to help, and there are good tutorials out there that folks can point you to as well.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
First off, I am not an artist. I am just a consumer, so I hope I am not unwelcomed here. I have always been interested in 3D art but never had the time to learn. I have recently retired and hope to learn to use Daz Studio - I hope I am not too old learn. Secondly, I have always been a fan of the great cats, extant or extinct, and have just purchased your Big Cat and Panther. I am glad that you are going to do all 8 extant big cats (or rather 9, considering that there are 2 species of clouded leopard) and perhaps Smilodon fatalis/populator. Regarding reconstructing extinct cats, I think the best reconstructions are those done by the paleoartist Mauricio Anton. Check out his web page: chasing sabretooths
and his book: https://www.amazon.com/Sabertooth-Life-Past-Mauricio-Antón/dp/025301042X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471422561&sr=1-1&keywords=sabertooth
Barbourofelis frickii is another interesting subject, although it is not a true cat but from a related family - It has large saber teeth with matching mandibular flanges to sheath them. It otherwise resemble a stockier Smilodon.

Welcome Harimau! Glad you're here. Thanks for your support of our Big Cat and CWRW's Panther maps. Thanks for the links. Just checked them out. Great reference imagery, and well done illustrations.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Welcome to the HiveWire forums from me as well Harimau! As others have said, all are welcome here no matter their level of knowledge of 3D artistry. Practice makes perfect, so the more you try, the better you'll become, and I look forward to seeing your first renders of the HW Big Cat in the Show Us Your HiveWire Big Cat Renders thread in the It's About the Art forum. ;)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
LOVING the upcoming cougar!! and just got to say:
@Chris and @CWRW AND of course @CG Cubed
Squeeeeeeeelll!! I've got TWO more leopard cat projects going...I FEEL this cat, it's SO darn REAL!!! .... I just soooo love those toes, love those whiskers, and oo oo ooo those ears and ear hair.... love every single dial (and can't stop experimenting with each!!), love that tail, oh heck I LOVE MY BIG KITTY!!!!!!!!!!