• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ao Dai for Luna

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I decided to go ahead and fully develop this set, especially since I've managed to get a good starting point for all parts of it. Still need to clean up the geometry, like the random missing polygon in the middle of the hat/headband.

There's also an odd thing with the sleeves when the image isn't rendered:

I think this has to do with some thickness I tried to add to the cuffs.

The pants and dress will be dynamic, the shoes conforming (because I just don't see dynamic shoes ending well.) The headband just a prop with some morph fits.

I haven't decided how many textures I'll do, but that's going to be a lot of the work at this point.

And then I'm going to make a similar outfit for Dawn, because that one I need for my another project, this one is just because of the cute.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I've been working a lot on refining the shoes. I realized that the bow was in the wrong place, it needs to be closer to the toe or she can't really bend her foot. Lots of other little tweaks. So now I have a question should I make the shoes fit tighter? Here's what I have at the moment:

The toes need cleaning up I know, although they look great with smoothing. But anyway, should the shoe fit tighter? I'm finding Luna is a little tricky to work with when making clothing, partly because she's so small, but also because of how little kids/toddler clothing fits since they are growing so fast. Thoughts?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
As tightness goes it's not bad...shoes like that would be slightly loose. Shame about the decoration as it looks better where it was in my opinion. Would it be possible to do jcms so that the bow moves when the foot bends?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
As tightness goes it's not bad...shoes like that would be slightly loose. Shame about the decoration as it looks better where it was in my opinion. Would it be possible to do jcms so that the bow moves when the foot bends?

Hmm, interesting idea. I think you're right the decoration does look better in the original position which is why I didn't move it all the way down to the tip of the toe. Actually the way I had it before, the rigging wasn't too bad, it was more that it looked wrong from a realism point of view because it looked like the bow would make it hard to walk. I'll have to think about this some. Thanks for the input.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
So I've been working a lot on refining the shoes. I realized that the bow was in the wrong place, it needs to be closer to the toe or she can't really bend her foot. Lots of other little tweaks. So now I have a question should I make the shoes fit tighter? Here's what I have at the moment:

The toes need cleaning up I know, although they look great with smoothing. But anyway, should the shoe fit tighter? I'm finding Luna is a little tricky to work with when making clothing, partly because she's so small, but also because of how little kids/toddler clothing fits since they are growing so fast. Thoughts?

A friend of mine recently made the shoe bows as smart props to avoid the bending issues you are running into. It was a Star set, but still the same issue - there's only 2 groups there, one is just the wrong placement and the other distorts the bow. By making the bow a prop, she managed to avoid the mangled bow.

Just an idea.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
A friend of mine recently made the shoe bows as smart props to avoid the bending issues you are running into. It was a Star set, but still the same issue - there's only 2 groups there, one is just the wrong placement and the other distorts the bow. By making the bow a prop, she managed to avoid the mangled bow.

I really like the idea. I was intending to make a pose to hide the bow anyway, because I was going to make a black texture as well, and I thought people might like to use them as just saddle shoes. But if the bow is a separate prop, instead of being part of the rigging, there's a lot more options I could do with it.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I really like the idea. I was intending to make a pose to hide the bow anyway, because I was going to make a black texture as well, and I thought people might like to use them as just saddle shoes. But if the bow is a separate prop, instead of being part of the rigging, there's a lot more options I could do with it.

Yeah, lots of reasons to go with a smart prop, including giving the user more options without a lot of extra effort.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Smart prop would be my vote, also... easier on you in the production pipeline, and easier on the end user in the scene setup. Also, it lets us have a cute bow that we can put on dresses, hair, skirts, whatever else we want to. :D

Re the shoe fit - I think loose like that is nice. It looks like it might be enough space for us to be able to fit socks inside of it, and that is a big pet-peeve of mine with 3D shoes in general - the figures have to be barefoot inside of the shoes, when no one in their right mind would put bare feet into a pair of shoes every single day, with every single pair. :)

Aside from that - looser fit also allows for growing room. I know 3D Luna won't easily "grow" on her own, but adds a small touch of realism that I appreciate, as many toddler shoes are made to be slightly large - or else mom and dad buy them a bit big to give the kids room to grow.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Smart prop would be my vote, also... easier on you in the production pipeline, and easier on the end user in the scene setup. Also, it lets us have a cute bow that we can put on dresses, hair, skirts, whatever else we want to. :D.

Yeah I was thinking it would be the easiest thing to include a preset that parents it to Luna's headband. Might be a nice and also easy touch.

Re the shoe fit - I think loose like that is nice. It looks like it might be enough space for us to be able to fit socks inside of it, and that is a big pet-peeve of mine with 3D shoes in general - the figures have to be barefoot inside of the shoes, when no one in their right mind would put bare feet into a pair of shoes every single day, with every single pair. :)

You know I never really thought of that, but it does occur to me that may favorite 3d shoes are usually either boots or sandals where you either wouldn't see the socks or wouldn't wear them. Wonder if I was subconsciously aware of that issue.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees

There are 2 logical reasons for this........1) full socks include polygons that will never be seen/used and those extra polys could be used in the more visible part of the set, and 2) it's almost impossible to avoid pokethrough in every pose, for every foot with a full sock/shoe as the sock always intrudes on the shoe unless you make "boats" for shoes that are much larger than the feet.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
There are 2 logical reasons for this........1) full socks include polygons that will never be seen/used and those extra polys could be used in the more visible part of the set, and 2) it's almost impossible to avoid pokethrough in every pose, for every foot with a full sock/shoe as the sock always intrudes on the shoe unless you make "boats" for shoes that are much larger than the feet.

Oh, yes. I understand completely why it is the way it is. :) It would be a logistical nightmare to try and make full socks for every shoe out there. ;) I know some vendors will model, say, just the sock tops - ie, the parts that would be visible above the shoe - but I suspect even that would be tricky to deal with in terms of the creation process.

I was moreso making an observation than anything else. I was not trying to single anyone out, so I do apologize if it came across that way.

You know I never really thought of that, but it does occur to me that may favorite 3d shoes are usually either boots or sandals where you either wouldn't see the socks or wouldn't wear them. Wonder if I was subconsciously aware of that issue.

I mostly use boots because of the types of renders I do. LOL. When using sneakers, if the figure is wearing long pants, it doesn't bother me one way or the other. But if the figure is wearing a skirt or pants that leave the ankle exposed, in those cases I often go for specific shoes in my library that either tolerate being expanded with push modifiers so I can put socks in them, or I go for the ones I have that came with sock tops. :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Oh, yes. I understand completely why it is the way it is. :) It would be a logistical nightmare to try and make full socks for every shoe out there. ;) I know some vendors will model, say, just the sock tops - ie, the parts that would be visible above the shoe - but I suspect even that would be tricky to deal with in terms of the creation process.

I was moreso making an observation than anything else. I was not trying to single anyone out, so I do apologize if it came across that way.

I mostly use boots because of the types of renders I do. LOL. When using sneakers, if the figure is wearing long pants, it doesn't bother me one way or the other. But if the figure is wearing a skirt or pants that leave the ankle exposed, in those cases I often go for specific shoes in my library that either tolerate being expanded with push modifiers so I can put socks in them, or I go for the ones I have that came with sock tops. :)

I didn't mean to sound as if I were offended at all. Just trying to explain the mechanics of rigging a full pair of socks inside shoes. I did it once on a pair of M4 shoes and will never do it again, LOL! I had to morph out the foot of the socks to stop the sock poke inside the shoes.

I usually make a full pair of socks for a figure for outfits that would look good shoeless - pajamas, etc. and then partial socks for outfits that are meant to be worn inside shoes. Luna has a pair of socks in my freebies, for example, and a pair of footless socks for inside shoes.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
By the way, a question for folks. Originally the shoes were an add on for the main outfit. But from what I understand about dynamics in DS I don't think the pants will work there without just falling down. Since the shoes are going to be conforming I was thinking of making them their own product. That way I'll have one product that works fully in both DS and Poser, and another for Poser (meaning the dynamic outfit).

Also even though I'm having lots of fun with the shoes, they are also a lot of work on their own. Admittedly, some of my own making (I just e-mailed asking for photos of the bottom of my 2-year old nieces shoes so I can see how a toddler shoes looks, versus an adult shoe).

Of course all the means that the Ao Dai outfit will not come with shoes. Now I only got Luna durning the spring showers sale, and I don't have any clothing for her, which means that any promos I make will probably feature my outfit pretty heavily, because that's what I have to work with. I just don't want it to seem like I'm breaking a product up to make people buy more. What do you guys think?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
By the way, a question for folks. Originally the shoes were an add on for the main outfit. But from what I understand about dynamics in DS I don't think the pants will work there without just falling down. Since the shoes are going to be conforming I was thinking of making them their own product. That way I'll have one product that works fully in both DS and Poser, and another for Poser (meaning the dynamic outfit).

Also even though I'm having lots of fun with the shoes, they are also a lot of work on their own. Admittedly, some of my own making (I just e-mailed asking for photos of the bottom of my 2-year old nieces shoes so I can see how a toddler shoes looks, versus an adult shoe).

Of course all the means that the Ao Dai outfit will not come with shoes. Now I only got Luna durning the spring showers sale, and I don't have any clothing for her, which means that any promos I make will probably feature my outfit pretty heavily, because that's what I have to work with. I just don't want it to seem like I'm breaking a product up to make people buy more. What do you guys think?

I have no preference on the shoes, but I have an idea on the pants for you.......

Put a pair of straps on the pants over the shoulders to prevent the drop in DS dynamics - just HIDE the straps. Their only purpose is to hold up the pants during dynamic simulation.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I have no preference on the shoes, but I have an idea on the pants for you.......

Put a pair of straps on the pants over the shoulders to prevent the drop in DS dynamics - just HIDE the straps. Their only purpose is to hold up the pants during dynamic simulation.

That's a good idea. That actually may help in Poser with an odd issue I've been having with the dynamics. The constrained group is harshly sucking in the pixels, (or maybe the non-constrained are popping away) and I get this bump I don't like. I've never had this happen before, and so far my attempts to adjust the settings on how far the cloth is from the body to fix it, haven't worked.