• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Morning. I suppose I started doing things that way partly because I started using other people image maps, because I just learned what templates were for. But also I find it easy to position something that has a pattern the way I want if I put it behind the cut out and then move it until things line up the way I want.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ahhh, I usually just lower the opacity of the texture I'm trying to place, and then I can see the UV map below it so I can place it where I want it.

skylab

Esteemed
Hi folks, hope everybody is doing well this evening, and hope you got your issue worked through GG....you've been so helpful here to us, so hope you're making progress with the UV issue. I don't have even an elementary knowledge of that, so backed off and let others respond :)

The boat project is completed and uploaded to ShareCG. Since my system was starting to be overloaded by the number of figures, I decided to bring it to a swift closure in other to begin another project for this week, and hopefully I can complete it before going for my lab work.

skylab

Esteemed
Hi Terre...and everybody this evening. Here's a hint Terre...the scene is a well outside of Samaria :)

WELL and TENT.jpg

Terre

Renowned
Good afternoon. :)
Something in the back of my mind is telling me I know which story it is but I can't think of it at this time.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I have another question Miss B. Once you've placed all your tile maps, do you trim them in some way so that they aren't just big squares on top of the islands? I'm asking because many of the tile maps I have are merchant resources, but I can't just distribute the entire tile, so I need to have it shaped like the UV island. Does that make sense?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Absolutely GG. What I do is select the island, increase the selection by 15-20 pixels, and then invert my selection and delete. That way all the excess of the texture you don't need is no longer there.

Considering how you do your texturing, try selecting inside the space you created in the UV map layer, making sure it's the only "space" you have selected, increase the selection, and then making sure you have the texture layer selected, invert and delete.

This is, of course, assuming you have each of your textures on separate layers. You don't want to accidentally delete the textures for the other islands of what you're texturing.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Oh that makes sense. I've certainly done that before selecting on one layer and then using that selection to delete on another layer. I actually just found a series of tutorials I have access to on the program I use, Pixelmator that I think will teach me a lot. Most of what I know when it comes to image editing I've learned just through trial and error. I think spending some time this after noon learning a lot more will help me out a lot. Especially since the the tutorials include stuff on how to make designs using effects (filters I believe in photoshop speak) which I've never really understood how to do.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I use some of the PS built-in filters, as well as Filter Forge, to create textures.

skylab

Esteemed
Good evening everyone :) Glad to see GG is making progress :)

...and yes, I think Seliah has figured out the mystery project :)

I rested extra today, and am still a little draggy, so I may return to bed for awhile, and catch you all a little later. Carry on...and have fun :)