• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dusk Renders, And Now The New Dusk SE!!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Good, you're making progress. I didn't think you would need SSS on his skin, and as far as Superfly and the dirty skins, I don't think that'll work. Of course, I could be wrong, so let us know how it goes.

Oh, with the Layers capability in P11, I think the dirty skins will work just fine. Just put the dirt on a separate layer.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Quick test in Superfly... I would not normally use this hair on him; the color tones of the textures are just wrong for him. But it did well enough for a quick test render.

Some speckling - I only had the samples set to about 15 here. Materials still in progress which is why Dusk's skin seems to be slightly two different colors between the two figures...

My Poser lighting still sucks horridly.

@Glitterati3D - He pulls off the top of the kilt beautifully... had to break it out and test it on him.

View attachment 7067

He does look good in it!!!!!!! Woooot!

The style fits him.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Quick test in Superfly... I would not normally use this hair on him; the color tones of the textures are just wrong for him. But it did well enough for a quick test render.

Some speckling - I only had the samples set to about 15 here. Materials still in progress which is why Dusk's skin seems to be slightly two different colors between the two figures...

My Poser lighting still sucks horridly.

@Glitterati3D - He pulls off the top of the kilt beautifully... had to break it out and test it on him.

View attachment 7067
love how he looks with this hair in the no beard one :inlove:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
ohhhhhh Thank goodness...er Thank Seliah! :)

Lyne, rest assured - and just for future reference - any Poser item I might make will ALWAYS include Firefly mats. Superfly mats will be included where and when appropriate, but I will ALWAYS include Firefly mats. So no worries there, okay? :)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
In all honesty though - truth be told - there isn't really much difference between the Firefly mats and the Superfly mats for Nataani. I'm not using SSS on him. I didn't use it even on the DS version. He just didn't seem to need it. Really, I've been using the same mats here for both Firefly and Superfly, and so far it doesn't seem to matter which engine he's rendered in.

I'll test him out on P10 if I can get P10 to bloody cooperate long enough. But I think in Nataani's case, I might not need to do separate Firefly and Superfly mats. From everything I'm seeing so far, he renders up about the same in both render engines...

The real test will be his dirty skins... those might need separate Superfly and Firefly materials, but I'll see about those when I get to them.

Well having had to convert many of my older materials to Superfly, it's usually things like Ambient Occlusion and special Blinn and Phong nodes that plug into the Alternate Diffuse and Alternate Specular that 'mess up' Superfly. I seem to recall you mentioning not likely things like Blinn and Phong because of their odd names, so you're are probably unconsciously avoiding the things that SuperFly doesn't like.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
GG, it isn't so much an avoidance thing as a case of.. I don't know when, where, why those things should be used, because I really don't understand what they are, what they do, or what the purpose is of them. I would probably make use of them if I understood them. I don't understand them, so it's just a case of I have no idea what the proper applications of them are.

Nataani's materials are very simple, really. Even in my native software, DS, his materials are quite simple. I do know - and use - the more advanced DS materials and shaders when needed, but he didn't seem to need it in DS, and I don't think he's going to need it in Poser, either.

I don't, as a rule, set up AO directly on the skin of a figure, because many light rigs make use of AO, and I have seen too many times in the past where AO on the skin + AO on the lights = problems in the final renders. So I don't set up AO on my figure skins in case someone is using an AO light.

Anyhow - I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll be refraining from additional comments here. :)

Maybe we could move this over to the Poser Software forum? Becuase I would like to understand what these things are, how and why they're used, and what they do... but the render thread isn't a good place for a technical discussion, I think.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Blinn and Phong aren't exclusive to Poser. I've a set of advanced wood shaders for Studio which use them as well. Neither did anything I wanted so I just kept to the other options.

They're one of V3D's packages and came out some time ago. (One of their advantages is that they have the a rotated version when the texture needs to go at 90 degrees to the way it comes normally.) There are other options in them that I didn't recognize as well.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I played here with Dusk start morphs :laugh:

Darryl

Adventurous

These are experiments on pushing Dusk toward abstraction with body scaling, dial spins and texturing. I've been interested in creating a more illustrated style for my images. I'm very much interested/envious of traditional artists who happily abstract their figures.

One thing I've noticed is that Poser and the modern content pushes me towards realism. It's sometimes hard to really abstract a figure because the textures and what-have-you look so real out the box. I used Texture Transformer to convert a M4 skin then took it into Photoshop and used a surface blur. I ran easy skin on it but it's rendered without SSS turned on. To some extent a less realistic texture allows me to accept a less realistic body shape. The pose is a bit wonky (a universal poser pose) but kinda funky too. I named him Mick G because he reminds me of the lead singer in a band I was in many years ago.