• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ken Gilliland's Products In Renders

Carey

Extraordinary
Cockatoo-4.jpg

I am my wife rescue large breed parrots, this is one of my renders and is called "A Love Just Like This"
It is rendered right in poser. Hope you all enjoy it....

Carey

Extraordinary
I had posted this one on the previous software... but I'm going to put it back up here since we now have our art threads back again. :)

I used a couple of Ken's birds in this one - two of the Red-Tailed Hawks, and one Bald Eagle here.
There is also the Daz Squirrel, AM's fox, AM's (much) older wolf, AM's moose, AM's raccoon, and Lyne's elk in this.

Hide and seek, some of the critters are pretty well camouflaged! LOL

((And just for the record : Yes, I know there is NO way all of these critters would be this close to each other without bloodshed; this was actually rendered specifically as a storyline illustration, which is why they are all in such close proximity. I just wanted to make that note before anyone jumped on it. :D ))

View attachment 448
I like this very very much!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I am my wife rescue large breed parrots, this is one of my renders and is called "A Love Just Like This"
It is rendered right in poser. Hope you all enjoy it....

I think this is brilliant. I love the expressiveness you've managed to convey here. Nice job. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Welcome to the forum Carey...that is a stunning image! Tender but humorous. Lovely composition...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I agree with Pen. It's lovely, and put a smile on my face. Welcome to the HiveWire forums Carey. ;)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh, wow - that is lovely, and welcome, Carey!

Carey

Extraordinary
Thanks very so much for the welcome and your great comments... Now for those of you that looked at this and said to yourself and said to yourself, "I'll never be this good". I want to say yes you can and I can show you how, For those of you that think you can do better I say, "Hey let me pick your brain..."....lol I am a poser artist, not I don't get paid by smith micro to promote their software, I promote it because what I am able to do in it, I am honest about it, I would be the first one to speak up and say what is wrong with poser. I don't know the first thing about Daz Studio... I have been working and fooling around with Poser For some twenty years and to tell you the truth I don't really know or use half of Poser. But what I do know I have fun with....

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Great image Carey! ...and I still manage to learn new tricks in Poser too (and I still have a copy of Poser 1 somewhere around).

What makes the image work is the birds appear natural and they're set in a simple but solid composition. This is a pretty good segway for me to share an article I wrote back in 2002 on Composition (now that the tutorial section of my website is back up).

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks very so much for the welcome and your great comments... Now for those of you that looked at this and said to yourself and said to yourself, "I'll never be this good". I want to say yes you can and I can show you how, For those of you that think you can do better I say, "Hey let me pick your brain..."....lol I am a poser artist, not I don't get paid by smith micro to promote their software, I promote it because what I am able to do in it, I am honest about it, I would be the first one to speak up and say what is wrong with poser. I don't know the first thing about Daz Studio... I have been working and fooling around with Poser For some twenty years and to tell you the truth I don't really know or use half of Poser. But what I do know I have fun with....

I've been using Ds for about ten years and only just getting started with Poser. I will have to add you to those whose brains I can pick about getting my renders in Poser to improve. Satira's normally the one who answers a lot of my questions and also Dawn plus a few others around here.

Carey

Extraordinary
Ken,
I'd like to say I am your first and best customer, though I know I am not, I have just been at it that long....lol

For many of my bird renders I actually do research so I can put the bird into at least a some what natural surrounding, although in this case it comes from personal knowledge as I have a bare eyed cockatoo that owns me...lol

I am very glad not only to meet you but to pay homage to you for your wonderful work with birds. I have had birds in my life since age sixteen and I still stand in wonder of bird flight....

My life and many of those that see my work are the richer for your wonderful work and gift....

Lorakeets-1.jpg

Carey

Extraordinary
Great image Carey! ...and I still manage to learn new tricks in Poser too (and I still have a copy of Poser 1 somewhere around).

What makes the image work is the birds appear natural and they're set in a simple but solid composition. This is a pretty good segway for me to share an article I wrote back in 2002 on Composition (now that the tutorial section of my website is back up).
Thanks ever so much for the appreciation you have shown my humble work...Yes, I know that sounds corny But I actually think I am capable of better work so I consider this render to be just the beginning of things much better to come...

Carey

Extraordinary
I've been using Ds for about ten years and only just getting started with Poser. I will have to add you to those whose brains I can pick about getting my renders in Poser to improve. Satira's normally the one who answers a lot of my questions and also Dawn plus a few others around here.

Well for starters and perhaps it is a shame Ken is right here to hear this is that I never use a stock texture. I always tweak a texture... I add a bit of reflection to everything. Lighting your actors reaction to it is and has been the biggest bother in Poser and for the most part this is always my biggest battle, that and taking command of the space. One of the best and biggest improvements to poser is the use of IDL I even helped develop some IDL lighting for use with poser, well to be honest Fredrick did the real hard work, I just got to play with the product and give pointers...

Now I hope I made it clear, I am not a poser expert, I am standing on the shoulders of some mighty big giants when it comes to what I know about poser and that is why I am so willing to share... Thanks for paying my work honor and yes by all means bug me, but at the same time experiment and research. It was a college professor that handed me a very important tip...A bird is really yesteryear's dinosaur. Feathers are but a variation of scales and are made up of the same material. It has the same translucence, reflection, transparency and refraction of a reptile scale and I treat it accordingly...

pheaseant.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks...I like to play and do tend to experiment. Especially with Shaders...don't know much about the material room yet though.

Carey

Extraordinary
In case you hadn't already thought about it - Ken's Kiwi Burrow also makes a great home for other characters, both realistic & fantasy! Besides the burrow in the mound, there are other hiding places, including a hole in the base of the hollow snag, another hole in its trunk & the top of the snag is hollow also! It looks great with a variety of vegetation, whatever suits your need.

This Dawn character was created by spinning a few dials.

I used a lot of great products that are available at HiveWire3D!

Nature's Wonders Kiwi Burrow by Ken Gilliland
Nature's Wonder Moths of the World Vol. 1 (Small Elephant Hawk) by Ken Gilliland
Hummingbird Garden (Salvia spathacea) by Ken Gilliland
Songbird ReMix Australia Vol 1 (Rainbow BeeEater) by Ken Gilliland

Starweed & FantaStar for Starweed by Lisa Botanicals

Dawn Special Edition by Christopher Creek Art, CG Cubed, Lisa's Botanicals & Virtual World
Dynamics 14 for Dawn - Gypsy Babydoll by Lully (Dawn Clement)
Regalia for Flower Fairy Outfit for Dawn by NapalmArsenal

Enchanted Caves Backgrounds by Olymphia

Enchanted Burrow
View attachment 5006
excellent work love the colors!