• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

Hornet3d

Wise
I am glad to see that people are still playing with the garden, I hope you are having fun. Sadly in the real world all progress on the garden has stopped as I have been laid low with a rather nasty stomach bug (if not the norovirus, something very similar) for the past few days. There are signs I am through the worst but I there have been a few false dawns so I am not relying on that too much and even if I am on the mend it will be a while before I am back working on the garden.

unreal

Noteworthy
I am glad to see that people are still playing with the garden, I hope you are having fun. Sadly in the real world all progress on the garden has stopped as I have been laid low with a rather nasty stomach bug (if not the norovirus, something very similar) for the past few days. There are signs I am through the worst but I there have been a few false dawns so I am not relying on that too much and even if I am on the mend it will be a while before I am back working on the garden.
Ouch, that's rough. Hope you feel better soon. Luckily, I've heard that plants grow even when you don't watch them. Not my plants, of course. The little buggers. But I've heard other people's plants do.

I'm using the garden as an opportunity to try out various blender UV add-ons. I brought everything into Poser (an existing scene) and rendered. .1 scale seems right, based on the figure that was already in the scene. The render was icky as the scene was in no way setup with correct lighting, camera angles, materials. I knew it was going to be bad when I clicked "render" and a dialog box popped up "are you sure about this?" I clicked yes and another came up "Really? You might want to rethink this." and I pressed yes again. A poser 12 feature?

In any case, the result left me blinded for the afternoon. Cold eye compresses and a few gin and tonics on dog walkies left me in a better state (aussies take dog walkies very seriously). UV mapping, proper materials, and an envirosphere may help. And a camera angle that doesn't say "8 year old with dad's shiny new 1973 110 Kodak". I was hoping for "14 year old with Dad's shiny new Nikon". But alas, that was beyond my reach. Sigh..

Hornet3d

Wise
Ouch, that's rough. Hope you feel better soon. Luckily, I've heard that plants grow even when you don't watch them. Not my plants, of course. The little buggers. But I've heard other people's plants do.

I'm using the garden as an opportunity to try out various blender UV add-ons. I brought everything into Poser (an existing scene) and rendered. .1 scale seems right, based on the figure that was already in the scene. The render was icky as the scene was in no way setup with correct lighting, camera angles, materials. I knew it was going to be bad when I clicked "render" and a dialog box popped up "are you sure about this?" I clicked yes and another came up "Really? You might want to rethink this." and I pressed yes again. A poser 12 feature?

In any case, the result left me blinded for the afternoon. Cold eye compresses and a few gin and tonics on dog walkies left me in a better state (aussies take dog walkies very seriously). UV mapping, proper materials, and an envirosphere may help. And a camera angle that doesn't say "8 year old with dad's shiny new 1973 110 Kodak". I was hoping for "14 year old with Dad's shiny new Nikon". But alas, that was beyond my reach. Sigh..

Well if nothing else you seem to be having fun and learning along the way, what more is there to life, well other than dogs and gin and tonics.

eclark1894

Visionary
Look at it this way, if you go crazy and start talking out of your head, your wife can stick you out in the garden and you can talk to the plants.:sneaky:

unreal

Noteworthy
Look at it this way, if you go crazy and start talking out of your head, your wife can stick you out in the garden and you can talk to the plants.:sneaky:
That's been tried. After listening to me for a short while, the plants all made like ents and walked over the park. Which impressed my older dog. You ever see a male dog try to mark a walking tree? Confusion + frustration. But amusing to *me*. Rather like humanity's reaction to a pandemic, come to think about it.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wanna go back to normal.

Which for me is working from home five days a week, and isolating from the rest of the world as much as possible.

Being around other people, especially those who ignore signs that say MASKS REQUIRED INSIDE THIS BUILDING! just drives me crazy. I skip any elevator that already has an occupant. I've no idea whether they are vaccinated or not or what kind of risks they find acceptable. Last week while leaving for work, an elevator stopped with a woman inside. Dressed in scrubs ... not wearing a mask. Needless to say, I waited for the next. and the next. and the next.

Then when waiting for an elevator after getting home from work, she walks into the building, past the signs that say MASKS REQUIRED FOR BOTH UNVACCINATED AND VACCINATED, still in scrubs, still without a mask. Needless to say, I waited again for the next elevator. and the next. and the next.

unreal

Noteworthy
I wanna go back to normal.

Which for me is working from home five days a week, and isolating from the rest of the world as much as possible.

Being around other people, especially those who ignore signs that say MASKS REQUIRED INSIDE THIS BUILDING! just drives me crazy. I skip any elevator that already has an occupant. I've no idea whether they are vaccinated or not or what kind of risks they find acceptable. Last week while leaving for work, an elevator stopped with a woman inside. Dressed in scrubs ... not wearing a mask. Needless to say, I waited for the next. and the next. and the next.

Then when waiting for an elevator after getting home from work, she walks into the building, past the signs that say MASKS REQUIRED FOR BOTH UNVACCINATED AND VACCINATED, still in scrubs, still without a mask. Needless to say, I waited again for the next elevator. and the next. and the next.
I'm with you.

I often wonder what people are thinking. Are they just unaware, purposely ignoring the directive, stupid, afraid, or just plain mean?

I know it's highly unlikely I'll die of covid-19. But, I did some counting. By my calculations, I'm about 1/7,892,978,200th of the world's population (2021-09-14T14:16:00+10). Which makes it a certainty that someone *other* than me will die of it. Quite a few others. I'd rather not be the cause. Vaccination. Mask. Distancing. Pretty much the least I can do. Not for me. Least I can do for *me* is nothing. But then, I'm not scared for me.

Sigh.... I'd sure like normal too.

And for people to be nice to each other. The biggest part of why I enjoy Hivewire :)

Doesn't hurt that it's also a bunch of experienced, fun, sharing, and skilled, artists (and techies, but then that's a form of art too). Bonus!

espresso-time

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Least I can do for *me* is nothing. But then, I'm not scared for me.
Taking precautions does help everyone you come in contact with (even at a safe distance), but what I do is for me as well, but others just don't realize it.

During the cool/colder late fall/winter/early spring months I wear at least 1 vinyl glove when out shopping, but I find them extremely uncomfortable during the hot summer months, so I always carry a folded paper towel with me for use with elevator buttons, door knobs, etc., and one day a man on line behind me saw me carrying one of the supermarket's carry baskets, while having the paper towel wrapped around the handles. He thanked me for being so considerate of others, when in fact, I did it to keep myself safe from others who had carried that basket before me.

I'm a firm believer I have to take steps to keep "me" safe first, and if that also keeps others safe too, there's nothing wrong with that.

Hornet3d

Wise
I am saddened by the way some people seem to think that it is some how heroic to not wear a mask and ignore social distancing rules. Here in the UK they have just decided the kids between the ages of 12 and 16 can have the jab as long as their parents agree. The response from those questioned by the media are equally sad - Parent "I haven't had the jab so there is no way I am letting my daughter have it and - school girl "you can still get Covid even after the jab so I am not going to bother (thus totally ignoring the fact that what the jab does do is lessen the severity).

Happily my wife and I are in agreement, as we so often are, we have both had the double jab yet we still observe social distance rules, always wear a mask where there are others whether requested or not. If we need to go to the shop it is always early just as they open so there are few other shoppers, most of whom are doing the same thing and therefore are masked up.

Hornet3d

Wise
Hopefully I am through the worst of my stomach virus although the doctor has advised I will sensitive for some while yet and to stick to a bland diet, problem is having type 2 diabetes my normal diet is fairly bland.

Anyway I feel well enough to start think about the garden once more and what still needs to be done. I have now had a another delivery of wood so I can plan on building a few more planters for the right side of the garden which is a little barren at the moment. I have also purchased a 10 Rose Hybrid Tea Collection for the planters but they are not due to be shipped until late November. There are also two smoke bushes (Cotinus Royal Purple) to be shipped in the next few week along with 40 Daffodil and Narcissi mixed bulbs. That will compliment the fifty odd plug plants, assuming they survive and prosper, and any geraniums and fuchsias I can get through the winter.

I did order some paint for much of the woodwork, excluding the arch, it was meant to be a tub a 9L tub but when it was opened yesterday about 2L of the paint is not in the tub but in the plastic bag holding it with yet more soaked into the box, so an issue still to be resolved.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm also glad to hear you're feeling better Hornet. I used to suffer greatly when I was much younger, but still cringe just thinking about having stomach issues at this time in my life.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm also glad to hear you're feeling better Hornet. I used to suffer greatly when I was much younger, but still cringe just thinking about having stomach issues at this time in my life.

Thank you for your comment. In my younger days my stomach was never much of an issue but I did suffer from some very bad migraines. Some time in my forties I was hospitalised with campylobacter which left me prone to extreme stomach cramps and, although these have reduced over the years, any stomach bug hits me hard and it takes a long time for me to recover. A downside of getting older no doubt but I guess you have to balance that with the many upsides old age brings.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I drink a tea of ginger/lemon with honey, apple cider vinegar & garlic first thing in the morning before anything.

:happydance::shineon:

Miss B

CV-BEE
My problem, which I had never thought of, was explained to me by our family doctor back in my very early 20s. I thought for sure I had at least one, or possibly more, ulcers, but he said I was too young to have ulcers, so he examined me, and then back in his office, he explained I didn't eat enough.

My mother, of course, was indignant that she put plenty of food on my plate, and that I ate every morsel. Then he realized he should've explained more fully. What he meant was no matter how much I ate, even a double portion, it wouldn't be enough. It turns out my stomach was producing more acid than my digestive system needed to process the food I ate, and the extra acid was turning into gas, which gave me excruciating cramps. I finally started to outgrow the symptoms when I reached my 30s, and I don't get them anymore, but boy was that an awful time in my life.

Hornet3d

Wise
My problem, which I had never thought of, was explained to me by our family doctor back in my very early 20s. I thought for sure I had at least one, or possibly more, ulcers, but he said I was too young to have ulcers, so he examined me, and then back in his office, he explained I didn't eat enough.

My mother, of course, was indignant that she put plenty of food on my plate, and that I ate every morsel. Then he realized he should've explained more fully. What he meant was no matter how much I ate, even a double portion, it wouldn't be enough. It turns out my stomach was producing more acid than my digestive system needed to process the food I ate, and the extra acid was turning into gas, which gave me excruciating cramps. I finally started to outgrow the symptoms when I reached my 30s, and I don't get them anymore, but boy was that an awful time in my life.

I can certainly relate to how excruciating the cramps can be, really glad you grew out of it.